Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current musical guilty pleasure?

stepay

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, and The Final Countdown.

It's the funniest thing: I never felt guilty about that until I came here. :laugh:

:thu:

This begs a question I've had for a long time: why do so many of us feel the need to apologize for liking music that's not the most complex or sophisticated?

Like many here, I am classically trained, etc.. and while I love my classics and jazz, I also love pop, rock, hair metal, and so forth. If I like a song I like a song. I just seem to noticed a theme here in KC that liking certain music is supposed to be debasing.

That all being said, I have no "guilty pleasure" music. I listen to what I like...Mozart to Metallica, Tchaikovsky to Taylor Swift, and everything in between.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Oh, and The Final Countdown.

It's the funniest thing: I never felt guilty about that until I came here. :laugh:

This begs a question I've had for a long time: why do so many of us feel the need to apologize for liking music that's not the most complex or sophisticated?

Like many here, I am classically trained, etc.. and while I love my classics and jazz, I also love pop, rock, hair metal, and so forth. If I like a song I like a song. I just seem to noticed a theme here in KC that liking certain music is supposed to be debasing.

That all being said, I have no "guilty pleasure" music. I listen to what I like...Mozart to Metallica, Tchaikovsky to Taylor Swift, and everything in between.

I always get a kick out of the faces of the hard rock band I occasionally sit in with, when I drive up listening to the BeeGee's! :)

Sort of like..."The only thing that would have made the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack more excellent? If the whole thing had been done with DX7 EPs!"

Hey... Geno Vannelli meets the BG's... Hmmm...

Concept Album... :)

The new Alicia Keys

When she goes through her jazz piano exercise at the end I can't help but wonder of that was the start or the end of the composition.

The song kicks in after 40 seconds. 1 minute later you're hooked when it hits the chorus at 1:40. Pop done right.

Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart

The new Jay Sean. Very tuneful.

Do You Remember

The Gorillaz in general and Gaga is at the top of her game.

It's one of the better months on VH1 for new pop music in years as many artists have ouright dumped Rap except for the occassional use in toasting. Gone are many of the annoying ballads. Pure pop baby!

GENESIS, Porcupine Tree, Yes, Dixie Dregs, Jeff Beck etc..

KORG Triton Extreme 88 / Prophet 8 / Access Virus TI2 / Roland V-Synth GT

KORG Kronos 76key/ Triton Extreme 88key

Dave Smith Instruments PROPHET 8/NEO Ventilator/ROLAND V-Synth GT/ACCESS Virus TI 2/ROLAND Jupiter80

JBL Pro LSR6328P Studio Monitors & JBL Pro LSR6312P Subwoofer

I can't think of anything I feel particularly guilty about liking. Luckily, I'm not dealing with any musical snobs. Even my flute teacher, who is excellent at both jazz and classical, accepted it readily when I told him I liked all kinds of music. Not that I would have jumped off a bridge if he hadn't... LOL!

There are some people in churches I played at that sort of felt they had a right to police what people listened to on religious grounds, but I never discussed what I listened to with them, sort of along the lines of it not being any of their business.

(O my God,did he really say THAT???)

There are some people in churches I played at that sort of felt they had a right to police what people listened to on religious grounds,

as a music director for a church & a devoted Christian, I can't think of anything more idiotic than trying to tell someone what they can & can't listen to based on religious grounds. After all, the only thing that makes a song "sacred" is the lyrical content, not the musical content. Why should the devil have all the good music? :laugh:

Ok, better get back on topic before this thread gets shut down! sorry. :blush:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Nickel Creek, Kaki King, Andy McKee, Perpetuum Jazzile, Little Big Town, Brian Eno, Steven Halpern, and Umphrie's McGee.

Now tell me I don't need therapy... LOL

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I gotta admit that I'm a fan of Dr. Luke's production, although not necessarily the artists involved. After all, with beats like his, it could literally be anybody behind the mic and it would still sound amazing. Some of his work is "Tik Tok" by Kesha, "Hot and Cold" by Katy Perry, and "Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus.

Are any of those artists talented? Hell no, but if you just listen to the music they're pretty badass. That's where Dr. Luke comes in.

Archived