Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current musical guilty pleasure?

stepay

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
silence

Yeah, I've considered a compilation CD featuring remixes of John Cage's 4'33. :D

Otherwise, it's the polar opposite...Howlin' Wolf. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The biggest one would most definitely be the Carpenters. Boy did I have a crush on Karen..... but that's been a few years. I also used to have a crush on Streisand, but I'm kinda ashamed of that now.

As for a current guilty pleasure, perhaps Katy Perry- not the stupid hit single that everyone knows her by, but I caught an unplugged set of hers on tv that had me going "dang, she's good".

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Michael Jackson's "Thriller" Although, this was more of a guilty pleasure before he went and got all room temperature on us. My band plays "I Want You Back" and it's Insta-Crowd on the dance floor these days.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I find myself appreciating various tunes by artists for whom I have little or no respect. I kinda like to think that I can view each song on its merits, and enjoy it for what it is in spite of the artist. Two artists that surprised me were Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift, both have produced material that I enjoyed.... and not enjoyed. Pink, too.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, someone that I enjoy as a personality and don't care at all much for their music would be Justin Timberlake. I think that he is a hoot, and he seems well grounded and seems as if he's a pretty nice guy with a good sense of humor. Can't say that I like any of his music.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, someone that I enjoy as a personality and don't care at all much for their music would be Justin Timberlake. I think that he is a hoot, and he seems well grounded and seems as if he's a pretty nice guy with a good sense of humor. Can't say that I like any of his music.

Though it's not like I own any of the albums or anything, but I actually find Justin to be one of the most musically interesting artists, as far as top 40, MTV music goes.

When I saw him perform on SNL for the first time as a solo artist, I was blown away. 10 piece band with 2 keyboardists, brass section, and a bunch of back up vocals. No noticeable backing tracks, and it wasn't as though he was just being backed up by these stellar musicians. He actually was grooving with them and they moved away from the album versions. I was literally stunned.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I freely admit that I like lots of things that are in questionable taste that sit nice right alongside things I like, such as African field recordings, indie rock bands, kozmigroov jazz, and Javanese gamelan.

I like "Pokerface" by Lady Gaga. Not gonna buy it, but it's insanely catchy.

Yeah, I should feel guilty. But I don't. :D

"Poker Face" is one of my guilty pleasures too. As a pop single these days it's really not that bad, with hooky synth lines and that male Volga Boatmen chant happening in the back.

The style has already spawned imitators. Check out "TiK ToK" - Ke$ha (if you dare) which has been #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for a month.

Hookiest pop single I've heard awhile is "Down" - Jay Sean, also a guilty pleasure. Once you've heard it a couple of times it's impossible to get out of your head (which I guess is the point of a pop single).

I suppose if I were to say I was an Osmonds fan, it'd be a 'guilty secret' - but this is a TOP song.....

my covers band are seriously thinking of doing this:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXO7-aAzUO4

PS - does anyone know how to get that keyboard sound? - I'm struggling to find it :crazy:.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Sounds like a filtered pulse wave modulated by a triangle LFO with portamento engaged on the keyboard to me. Tough to isolate it in that vid.

I gotta confess that I've never heard this song before. Is (or was) it big in the UK?

IIRC answer is the ribbon controller on one of those Yamaha YC-30 (or similar) organs from the 70's.

Slight problem - I don't have one of them..... my gigging rig is the M50 + Electro.

Can I squeeze an approximation out of the M50, anyone?

John.

some stuff on myspace

I gotta confess that I've never heard this song before. Is (or was) it big in the UK?

I'll look into that Bill (I'm far from an expert programmer, more of a 'player' - but I try!)

This song was a massive hit in the UK in the early 70's (about '73 I think).

John.

some stuff on myspace

Yeah, not too many folks have a YC-30 lying around. My 0.00002, take a bright virtual analog patch and program the pitch bend to cover an entire octave (if possible). A dose of portamento may help. To my ears, the main aspect to covering that sound isn't so much the patch itself as the large pitch offset and irregular vibrato that is natural to a ribbon controller.

Or....use a Kurzweil with a ribbon controller.

The song was supposed to be the Osmond's attempt at 1) moving from pop to hard rock, and 2) writing a serious song - it was about air pollution IIRC

Ga Ga is a meaningless waste of space to me, like performance artists generally are.

My real guilty pleasure, and I cn feel my IQ draining away when I watch it, is "My Name Is Earl". I never saw it on regular prime time, I don't really watch that much TV, but I catch it in reruns twice a day now, and the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend and I both howl. And the background music is always good.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived