Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Volume at 9? Who knew it

Michele C.

I have a J style passive bass, the one on the right if you are curious. Full mahogany jacket.

http://www.proxybar.net/images/confrontobassi1.png

The pickups are made by the artisan that built it (he says he was inspired by Lindy Fralin).

The circuit is basic: volume, volume, tone.

I always have set one of the volumes at 10 and blended the other to taste.

Tonight I fortuitously had the bridge at 9 and the neck at 8 and it sounded fantastic and growly. Moving the prevalent pickup at full volume made the sound honky, while rolling it back just a little made my sound slightly scooped and very solid.

I never noticed this thing in years. Is it an illusion, or it happens with all J basses? Going to try it out tomorrow evening.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done something similar with my P bass- back off the volume to 8-9 range and was surprised by the sound.

I originally did it to give myself a little headroom from the sound man to sneakily bump things up if the sound guy dials me back too much. in doing so, I was surprised that the volume didn't really change but the tone fattened out a little bit and had a nice smooth sound to it.

It was a different sound than rolling the tone off, definitely useable. I have to remember to try that again...

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

On my P/J FrankenFender I like neck at 80% and bridge at 20% when practicing at home. That is the sound I really like BUT, when playing with my band, I have to go to off on the neck and 100% on the brige and tone very much full on. If not, The amp is very muddy and I can barely hear myself. (Damn guitarists!)

Rocky.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Get a P Bass(a REAL P bass, not one of those bastardized suckers with a J p/up in the bridge) and leave it all the way up all the time.

With round wound strings , pretty much the easiest bass sound in the world to manage with the fingers.

Keep

It

Stupidly

Simple

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

That's why I want a P-Bass, fits to any style, and the tone are all in the fingers, what you play is what you hear.

I love my J, but sometimes I think it is smarter than I am.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Thank you Bid Daddy, I think you nailed it. My Yamaha has something wrong in its input. It hums noticeably when I raise my highs and I cure that putting any buffer between bass and amp, including a not true bypass pedal. Obviously no problems with an active bass.

Yes, Rocky I am in the same boat: cured the problem going along the lines of what Bryan Beller presents this month. My guitarist is 90% of the time fully distorted (a nasty red Crunch Box). This includes pickups at 100%.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Archived