Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rogue bass side markers

maxshred

I have a Rogue 6-string that works fine for what I'm playing, but there are no position markers on the fingerboard and the side markers are invisible, especially on a dark stage. Anyone got a very quick and dirty solution to put something along the side of the fingerboard to make the positions visible? I've tried white electrical tape and it's not bad, but suggestions are welcome.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The glow in the dark star thingies work like a charm. Except mine are big dots. But stars would be effective also. I have also installed my own from mother of pearl buttons I bought off e-Bay. Easier than it sounds. The tough part is finding the right sized fostner (or something like that) drill bit. You can do it with a regular drill bit, but the forstner ones don't dance around when you drill with it. No drill required; just spin it in your fingers if you go that route.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Thanks, Paul. And the forstner bit idea is way cool - I have some of those but they're the big ones for opening up control cavities, etc. I've done a little inlay work and definitely will roll with that when I can free up the bass for a bit, but this was an immediate need. And yes, kids, in a perfect world I would have worked enough with the instrument not to have to look, instead of jumping instantly from a 4-string to a 6-string. It must be cool to be a virtuoso.

I had the same problem when I first got my Alembic Orion Six. I used florescent paint and put a small dab where the small dots already existed on the side of the neck. Much easier to see on dark stages. It does wear off and will need reapplied down the road.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

So... Are much of us Alembic players in the forum? :) I have the same problem with my Alembic Epic 5, which has brass side dots on the side, and no fretboard markers whatsoever. The recommendation on Alembic's Forum was to apply a very light sandpaper to the fretboard's side (which is not finished), to restore brightness to the brass dots, and then some lemon oil to restore it to the ebony of the fingerboard's side.

OTOH... I've always wondered wether the side LEDs would be confusing when playing live.. I tend to move a lot while I play, and I have seen Mark King using them on his basses, and on the videos you always see these lights more like streams in the air. I guess YMMV, but I am afraid they would rather tend t confuse me, specially on darker stages, than being a precise reference. I guess I'll only have to have to try one and see...

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Archived