Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody know who this piano player is?

mate stubb

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neato.

According to Wikipedia:

Thomas Salisbury or Salusbury (c. 1564 September 20 1586) was one of the conspirators executed for his involvement in the Babington Plot.

Salisbury was implicated in the plot to murder Queen Elizabeth I and replace her with Mary, Queen of Scots, and he was executed, along with Anthony Babington and several others, by being hanged, drawn and quartered.[1]

Moe

---

Neato.

According to Wikipedia:

Thomas Salisbury or Salusbury (c. 1564 September 20 1586) was one of the conspirators executed for his involvement in the Babington Plot.

Salisbury was implicated in the plot to murder Queen Elizabeth I and replace her with Mary, Queen of Scots, and he was executed, along with Anthony Babington and several others, by being hanged, drawn and quartered.[1]

Dude makes a mean steak too. :cool:

This cut woke me out of a sound sleep on the way to a gig one time...

Of course, the first thought I had was "You weren't driving, I hope."

I used to have hair about that long in that era and used to be about that skinny, but none of the gaps in my memory are long enough to account for gigging with the Pointer Sisters. :freak: And I don't, and never have, played that hot.

I have to say, the version of this I'm most familiar with is Barry Manilow on a live album. My (now) wife was a big fan and, what can I say, the things we do for women. :blush:

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

He doesn't look that old.

Neato.

According to Wikipedia:

It's amazing that he still has that kind of motor control after being drawn and quartered 400 years earlier. Must be good genes.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

The Pointer Sisters were part of that thriving scene in Oakland while SF was psychedelic. They sang back up for Cold Blood on several tracks, and Cold Blood's Drummer Gaylord Birch worked with them on their live album (an may, in fact be the drummer in video, I can't tell). The Pointers, Cold Blood, Tower of Power and Santana all swapped players during the mid 60's. A lot of good music was overlooked during this period as attention was focused across the bay on Airplane, the Dead and Janis Joplin.

1) He quotes heavily from "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" in the intro

2) Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross do a great version of this tune, too.

3) Those ladies weren't wearing bras.

/just sayin'

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Nice one for posting that video Mo, it's a bonkers tune.

I was reading up on the composition Cloudburst and apparently the melody is a "vocalese" version of a saxophone solo by Wardell Gray.

What my Googling didn't turn up was what track the solo comes from. Can anyone help me with what particular recording it's from?

Thanks in advance

I was reading up on the composition Cloudburst and apparently the melody is a "vocalese" version of a saxophone solo by Wardell Gray.

For some reason I've always believed it was Sam Taylor, but I couldn't name the original solo.

There's a great recording of the Jon Hendricks vocalese (that the Pointers are working from) on the first Lambert Hendricks & Ross album The Hottest New Group in Jazz, but I'm pretty sure Jon was already doing it before LH&R.

BTW, if you can find that first LH&R album it also has Annie Ross's Twisted that Joni Mitchell redid many years later.

Larry.

Archived