Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bargain ("single board" thread sidebar)

reidmc

On my single-keyboard quest, I visited yet another Guitar Center today and found an interesting option. I don't think is is the answer for me, but it would be a pretty good option for a backup controller or keyboard.

During President's Weekend, the Casio CDP-100 is only $289. . . 88-key, weighted/semi-weighted action and Midi in and out. The action was as good as any of the piano-y Privias, and quite frankly I liked it as well as just about anything in the store, save 1 or 2 high-end Yamaha piano/workstations. (No Kurweils in stock, again.) It may have the same keybed and action as the Privia 130, which inexplicably has no MIDI out, and is $499. The piano is super-light, and the basic piano sound, while not great, again, was as good as many in the store. Not many other sounds, and I'd say the electric piano was the only other one that was usable. One big drawback was no 1/4" output. . .only a 1/8" headphone jack, but I think I am going to take one out on a 30-day trial and see what I think. For $289 WTH.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few of us have the CDP-100 or its equivalent, the Radio Shack DP-4073 that was sold at closeout prices a few winters ago.

IMO, the piano sound doesn't really stand up, but at that price, it's not a bad controller. It's light, it's cheap, and the action is very good, especially for the price.

The cons are the sounds, the build is a little weak (some have had the plastic case chip and others have had jacks go bad), the external power supply, the 1/8" output, and all the jacks are on the side.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

IMO, the piano sound doesn't really stand up, but at that price, it's not a bad controller. It's light, it's cheap, and the action is very good, especially for the price.

The cons are the sounds, the build is a little weak (some have had the plastic case chip and others have had jacks go bad), the external power supply, the 1/8" output, and all the jacks are on the side.

Right. . .I'm already pricing a backup wall-wart. Anyone know how well the 1/8" output works direct to an instrument amp?

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

The minijacks work well with amplification, electrically. No problem plugging it into line input with a matching cable. But beware that minijacks are much less sturdy than the big quarter inch ones. If I would buy that piano, i'd hack a pair of 1/4's into the side panel. An hour of work with a drill and a soldering iron. Warranty voided, of course.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

A few of us have the CDP-100 or its equivalent, the Radio Shack DP-4073 that was sold at closeout prices a few winters ago.....

Yeah, I picked up the RS version for $250 back then. I agree the (excellent) action is identical to the Privias, and it would make a very good controller/practice board for piano or EP. Because it has built-in speakers, it could also be used for solo piano in a small setting (e.g., house dinner party). However, I have it set up in my daughter's "wreck room" in our basement, and I can't tell you the number of times I have intermittently played it while lifting weights, watching TV, or puttering around down there. For that reason alone, it has been a worthwile investment.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

It's possible to plug into the headphone jack a Y-splitter: male trs 1/8" to two female 1/4" ts - gorilla-tape it to the board and you have not voided the warranty. Right? I'm thinking of getting PX130. Nope, no midi out. It will have to be a P85.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Wow - I did not realize the PX130 doesn't have MIDI except for USB (the 120 did. I guess that's shaving cost).

Dave, the one thing about 1/8" stereo to split 1/4" is that I had trouble finding that combination. I think when I did it I had some weird sequence of multiple jacks that were less than ideal and somewhat heavy to hang off that little 1/8" jack.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The 76 key AAbattery powered in a pinch NP30 has midi out and a headphones jack. I only found one 1/4" all around Y adaptor:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP117/

Sounds like the px330 is worth the extra$$$. I want to be able to midi up to my electro - I might like the pianos/rhodes better. My set up is spit/bailing wire/ duct tape enough already!

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

The P85 doesn't have a flat bottom, so be advised about that... it's hard to get it to sit still on a stand, it's wobbly. It might work fine with the right stand, but it's designed to be used with it's own at-home style stand.

Agreed. If a P85 is the keyboard of choice, it can be tricky to place. I used one on a very old Quicklock double braced X-Stand, set to the lowest point; OK if you're sitting to play. That was the only X stand in my collection, though, that would allow the keyboard to sit stable. Also, with regard to X stands, a student of mine has had good luck using an Ultimate Support IQ-3000 with her P85.

Another student ordered his P85 as part of a package deal that included a Z style stand. That's worked out OK for him.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived