Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hee-e-e-ere fishy fishy fishy- Backordered 2-4 weeks

5 string Mike

Well, at long last, I finally set the hook on a new fish.

I've been looking at getting a 5-er again, and I found a great deal on a Squier Deluxe Jazz V in Sunburst for a great deal. I've been tossing around going with a black or a sunburst.I could go either way- sunburst is cool, but it doesn't do much for me and black looks great but it's a fingerprint magnet and frankly boring. My wife doesn't really like either color but the black was ok (white is out of the question), and I was set to buy the black one from MF.

But, lo and behold, checking a local store's site, they had a new sunburst model at a pretty substantial discount. I think it was one they wanted out of stock to make room for more or they aren't going to sell these anymore.

Regardless, although my wife thinks it's ugly, shortly I'll have a new addition to the arsenal :thu:

Yes, I know, pics are to follow...

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about changing the scratchplate or perhaps no scratchplate.

What colour do you like?

I don'y like black with white scratchplate ... sorry benloy. Black is cooler with black or a pearloid scratchplate IMHO.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Black is cooler with black or a pearloid scratch plate IMHO.

Especially if you get white p/up covers and knobs to go with a black scratchplate, get that "tuxedo" thing going on...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Sunburst with tortoiseshell pickguard.

Congrats on the new fish.

I hope Fender will get off the dime and make a lefty 5 string this year.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I find that many basses don't thrill me when I see them in a picture on the Internet, but then I see it person and totally love it. Perhaps when your wife sees the real thing she'll change her mind. If she doesn't who cares, you got a new axe dude!

Enjoy it!!

Groover- I hope so, but I don't think it'll happen. She's naturaly picky about a lot of things.

b5- the bass doesn't have a guard (but I like the 'burst/ tort combo as well) and I don't know if I want to add one. It would have to be customized as it doesn't have the traditional control plate either. All things being equal, the finish on those looks pretty good without a guard, so we'll see.

I saw a similar Jazz setup that had a pick buard that only went around the front p'up and the horns. It looked kinda cool, burst/ tort setup.

Being a weekend, it hasn't shipped yet (I just ordered online- it's local but still an hour away).

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Well, there was no activity on my bass, soI called them up (Elderly's) and they said when it came in off the FedEx truck to their place (apparently it wasn't on site but at their distributor or something), it was damaged- the box and the bass were toast. Their Fender distributor told them it would be 2-4 weeks before they would get another one in Sunburst... they have a white one coming in March but they said this one should be in before the white one.

But, for the price they had it at, it's worth the wait. I've not been in a rush to get one, so I'm not sweating it too bad. Still annoying though.

But, for the price they had it at, it's worth the wait. I've not been in a rush to get one, so I'm not sweating it too bad. Still annoying though.

Well yeah, but we're all waiting here, anxious for photos. :laugh:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's finally here. Haven't had a chance to open it yet, been a busy day. It showed up an hour before a jam session I went to, didn't get a chance to try it out.

I'll try to get pics up soon...

I got a chance to try the new fish out for a bit yesterday.

I gotta say I like the sunburst finish. It's WAAAY better than the 'standard' website pics. (If you want to see actual pics, they should show up on a Google search) The light wasn't real exceptional, but it seemed to have a nice blend of tones and the wood grain underneath was clean and pretty well matched between the different body slabs. The finish was nice.

Hardware wise, the neck fit well, the frets were filed good, and the setup was pretty good out of the box. The only thing that got my attention was the rearmost corners of the bridge don't contact the body real well. The body top has a slight radius and the wider than usual bridge just can't physically set flat. It seems secure, though. The bridge itself is a little beefier than a 'standard' Fender bridge. It's about twice as thick on the bottom and about 3/8" thick in the back. The tuners were smooth, the strings are decent- Fender stainless roundwounds. They feel all right, they sound ok. I was going to get some ProSteels, but I might keep these awhile. The Ebonol fretboard looked nice as well. the frets set real nice in it. The nut was cut good, no sharp edges, etc. Overall nice assembly.

I played it through a small guitar amp I have when I'm just messing around, and it sounded quite nice even through that. It has a master volume, pan pot, and 3 band EQ (stacked bass/ treble and mid). It also has the 'slap switch'.

The EQ didn't seem to do a whole lot, but it was noticeable (a better amp would help). There was however, quite a difference just in pickup selection. Both on (pot centered) had a nice full tone- good bottom end presence and fairly wide spectrum of sound. On the rear pickup, it had a more mid- nasaly growl and a pretty god overall bite. The front p-up was more low-mid to high mid (EQ flat).

The Slap Switch seemed to cut out most of the lows and brought out the punch in the slap and gave a nice crisp tone to the pops. It made a good sound on different pup settings.

One thing that did get my attention- no noticeable single coil noise. I'll have to get more time with it and it was kind of noisy where I was trying it out, but this cheap little amp usually buzzes noticeably, but not so this time.

The fat ol'neck felt nice to me too. That's the main reason I went with this bass is because the neck was wide enough for my big hands. It played very nice. I've played a few Ibanez and a couple of Peaveys and Yamahas and their 5 string necks seem too crowded for me.

I didn't have time to dig out my camera, but I'll try soon...

Well, sorry about pics- apparently you need them stored somewhere with a URL, and I don't have a webshots or myspace, and I haven't put them on facebook. If I dothat I might link them, but for now, no pics. I tried though, doesn'tthat count for something??

...and mine.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/63p-bass/PJ%20-%20TRB5%20-%20BB/100_1643.jpg

Tell me about those BassLines p/ups. Are they active?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hey picker. Those pups are Duncan SPB-3's and they're passive. A little hotter than vintage wound pups but they sound really good in that bass.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Fine- three can play at this game (while we waite for 5String Mike)

Here's my far-from-stock '71 Jazz (with KT fretless neck):

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/Awestruckdan/Gear/FenderJazz1.jpg

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Oh cool, we're posting pics!

The Precision ('75 MIA)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/Basshappi/100_0071.jpg

Squier Fretless

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/Basshappi/100_0073.jpg

'62RI Jazz ('83 MIJ)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/Basshappi/100_0069.jpg

Warmoth PJ

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/Basshappi/100_0067.jpg

I have a Black MIM Jazz but don't have pics of it yet.

That's it for the Fenders.

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I wanna play. Here's my late 90's Squier P bass I picked up for a $100. I'm still modding it but here it is with the new pickguard.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg285/wildwookster/squier_p.jpgHere's my latest fishie.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

'84 MIJ Squier Jazz bass. I have 75.00 into it.

This was when I had just gotten it.

It's been beat up a lot since this pic.

And I took off the pickguard.

Peace,

wraub

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/R&H3000/bpics/jazzbass034a.jpg

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived