Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Funk vs. Disco

Groove Mama

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that I play bass, I really like funk and some disco. Weird how a different perspective sheds a light on narrow thinking. What A dumbarse I was!

No worries, b5. Here are two examples of my own dumb-arseness:

I took jazz piano lessons in the mid '70s from a guy with a doctorate in music. He was not only the most highly musically educated guy I had ever met but also the least judgmental about music. He played several instruments in jazz bands, orchestras, American Legion bands, heck, even a polka band, plus he wrote jingles for a local fast-food joint. As far as he was concerned, it was all good. Really made me rethink the bases for my musical biases.

Second example: A friend in Tennessee took me to see the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman. I'm ashamed to say I also brought along my Yankee bias against country music. Boy, was I chagrined to witness the highest level of musicianship ever, playing an incredibly rich and deep variety of American musical styles: bluegrass, zydeco, classic C&W, folk, honkytonk, country blues...

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

But in retrospect, some of the stuff Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards were doing with Chic was brilliant -- they made disco that had a groove.

There's that groove thing yet again. Maybe that's what I'm focusing on.

Nobody dresses like that anymore.

They just don't dress 'em like that anymore? :freak:

Proof positive that there were no mirrors in the '70s, heh-heh.

Psst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVyH_aR_Cw

Joke too subtle?

Oops. Yeah, I guess.

Second example: A friend in Tennessee took me to see the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman. I'm ashamed to say I also brought along my Yankee bias against country music. Boy, was I chagrined to witness the highest level of musicianship ever, playing an incredibly rich and deep variety of American musical styles: bluegrass, zydeco, classic C&W, folk, honkytonk, country blues...
This is the sort of thing that indicates that you are a smart person.

Last evening we were watching a show on RFD-TV featuring folks playing and singing what some people call "trad" or classic," what I refer to as "real," country music, covering tunes by Jim Reeves, Merle Haggard, etc. Unbelievably good for the soul.

This is one singer who really impressed us.

About ten years ago I was in Nashville and Harold Bradley took the group of us to the Grand Ole Opry. Even though I'm not a big country music fan I really enjoyed this show. For a short while we had great seats out front and then Harold took us up on the stage where there is an area to sit and even a place to talk to the musicians. It was on radio broadcast night and the show really moved along with some acts being self contained and some using the house musicians. We got to see Ralph Stanley and also the Oakridge Boys. It was great to see Nashville through a legend as Harold Bradley.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

People do still dress like that. Jeremy is right. I live in a neighborhood in Boston that used to be a really bad part of town but is doing much better now...although it still has some seedy areas. Every Sunday morning is an impressive sight.

Also, my band dresses like that.

It amuses me that most people who havent played disco bass lines seem to think that it's all octaves and straight rhythms. Listen again, boyos.

As to the differences between the two, I tend to think it's mostly between the keys (strings, etc.) and drums. There are a lot of other differences, but I think the biggest ones that affect the way it's played are there.

on Give It Up or Turnit Loose by James Brown, the bass NEVER hits on the one. It's always one sixteenth note ahead.

I rest my case your honour.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Some of the first songs I learned to play on bass were disco. (I was 11 and Saturday Night Fever had just come out.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/45/Saturday_night_fever_movie_poster.jpg/398px-Saturday_night_fever_movie_poster.jpg

Later on I, too, got my DREAD card.

You can still find people who want to dance to disco, either to relive their past or to just goof around. I suppose every wedding DJ has at least one disco song on their list.

But if you want to trip on acid and listen to something on 'phones then disco ain't gonna get you there. ;)

And some people should not be allowed to dance to funk. :eek:

About ten years ago I was in Nashville and Harold Bradley took the group of us to the Grand Ole Opry. Even though I'm not a big country music fan I really enjoyed this show. For a short while we had great seats out front and then Harold took us up on the stage where there is an area to sit and even a place to talk to the musicians. It was on radio broadcast night and the show really moved along with some acts being self contained and some using the house musicians. We got to see Ralph Stanley and also the Oakridge Boys. It was great to see Nashville through a legend as Harold Bradley.

That sounds like a great experience, Wally. The house band they had when I was there was absolutely topnotch. They could have played by themselves all night, and I would have been thrilled to watch. As it was, the show also featured a zydeco band, The Whites, Ricky Skaggs,

(an awesome bluegrass band from Russia) and, of course, the inimitable Little Jimmy Dickens. Needless to say, that show completely changed my opinion of country music.

I struggled with the disco culture and with the lack of real drive in the music to be very literate about disco. There were some fine songs that I appreciated, but it was hard to keep the enjoyment going against the other factors.

Much of it still makes me unhappy to hear, though Donna Summer, the Bee Gees (most of it) and others are OK.

Where does Earth Wind and Fire fit? My guess is that they fully straddle the line.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I've got no complaints with disco. I played in a band that played this material for 6 nights a week for several years. At the end of that time, we all bought houses.

Here's a song list from 1977. The songs with the "J" are the ones I sang. Now if only I could find my white suit and my platform shoes.

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/songlist.jpg

This is the sort of thing that indicates that you are a smart person.

I don't know about that, Chad, but I am trying to keep an open mind. However, admittedly, I still struggle with appreciating opera, some rap and some metal; e.g.,

I think, like most musical endeavors, disco started in a positive place (as a sort of a smoother, cleaner take on funk.) In fact, it seems that in the initial stages of disco, the genres were almost considered interchangeable--one of George Clinton's many characters was "The Disco Kid," and I don't think too many folks would disparage Clinton's interplanetary funksmanship.

But when disco caught on and became really popular, things went horribly wrong. A lot of people really liked disco, and it got ugly...

The upshot? You know things are going to a bad place when artists who were known for rocking took a shot at a disco song in order to stay current and grab a few extra crossover fans (and bucks) in the process. It just became kind of a silly parody of a genre that really couldn't stand up for itself.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

IMHO, disco took over everything.

Bass and drums got mixed up front on all popular recordings. Rhythms were simplified to make it songs "more danceable".

People stopped dancing to live music and got used to dancing to recorded music. Clubs took out their stages and put in lights and sound systems.

Pop-country is disco now. How much difference is there between country line dancing and The Hustle?

I love the scene in the film "Soul Men" where Bernie Mac and Samuel L. Jackson get booked into a c&w club. (very funny film about the music business. btw)

You know things are going to a bad place when artists who were known for rocking took a shot at a disco song in order to stay current and grab a few extra crossover fans (and bucks) in the process.

Makes me think of Rod Stewart: from "Maggie May" to "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy."

Or -- even more egregious, I guess -- The Ethel Merman Disco Album

Archived