Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Tampa

Mark Zeger

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're planning them for the weekend of April 9/10/11 I'll be there for the Tampa Bay Blues Fest ;)

Check out Ybor city. Lots of shops and tons of clubs in about a 5 square block area. The Columbian there is an awesome authentic 4 start Cuban resteraunt.

Berns steakhouse is a must. It has a weird atmosphere but the steaks are killer. Their wine celler is rated one of the top in the world. You have to take the tour of their facility while you are there. They offer it to all gusts. After your steak you have to head upstairs to one of the dessert rooms for some awesome sweets.

For beach going, St. Pete is quiet while Clearwarer is upbeat and full of kids. Your choice as to which you prefer.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I suggest you try to hook up with forum member Mr Nighttime(Ronnie)in the Cocoa Beach area. It's probably a 1 to 1.5 hour drive from Tampa but he gigs there frequently and is an awesome player. Or at least have a beer with him.

Thanks, Mark :wave:

It's more like a 4 hour drive, and my band's on hiatus until we figure out how to deal with the loss, due to serious medical concerns, of our bass player (who owns the PA).

But, if it's Tuesday night, I know of a great place to jam, with one of the better players in the area as the house keyboardist.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Nightime- can't possibly do a 4hr drive but if you're in the area...

No Problem

I'm going to the West Coast first weekend in March, but it'll be south of Tampa - Sanibel Island.

I'm on the Space Coast, east and a little south of Orlando. The area where I can watch the Space Shuttle take off from my yard. Where large numbes of people are scared sh*tless over the forcasted number of job losses when the Shuttle retires.

Glad my job doesn't depend on the Space Program anymore.

Willie Dixon

Get the free paper and check out the online sites for Tampa.

Between Tampa, St. Pete, and Clearwater you could probably go out and see a name act every night of the week. I saw Preston Reed in a little restaurant's side room on a Tuesday, Fishbone on a Thursday, and Judas Priest on Saturday. Social Distortion and Steve Vai two different dates played a week later.

Lots of good place to eat in town, and if you want to get away from it all, 45 minutes away is Tarpon Springs for excellent Greek food. Pappas's in town has some great food as well.

+1 on Ybor City.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

It's more like a 4 hour drive, and my band's on hiatus until we figure out how to deal with the loss, due to serious medical concerns, of our bass player (who owns the PA).

Well at least I got everything else right :freak::laugh:

How's it going Ronnie? Wish I could find a work excuse to travel down there. Hope all is well with you and the family.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from Tampa. Not warm but at least it was 30 degrees higher than it was here.

Check out Ybor city. Lots of shops and tons of clubs in about a 5 square block area. The Columbian there is an awesome authentic 4 start Cuban resteraunt.

Berns steakhouse is a must. It has a weird atmosphere but the steaks are killer. Their wine celler is rated one of the top in the world. You have to take the tour of their facility while you are there. They offer it to all gusts. After your steak you have to head upstairs to one of the dessert rooms for some awesome sweets.

For beach going, St. Pete is quiet while Clearwarer is upbeat and full of kids. Your choice as to which you prefer.

Did all of these. Ybor City was dead on a weekday afternoon but still fun to walk around. Dinner at Columbia was OK. Great atmosphere, sangria, and snapper. Terrible paella, sides, and dessert.

Bern's Steakhouse was fantastic. I've been to all the top NYC steak restaurants and Bern's ranks with, and possibly surpasses, the best of the them. The wine list is outstanding and well priced. I noticed a rare CA red that retails for around $60 and Bern's price $68. Would definitely eat there again. One bizarre note: for a party of 3, a 12% service charge added the check. The waiter referenced it and mentioned the charge does not replace a tip. Huh?

Took a short walk on beach @ St Pete near John's Pass.

Lowry Park Zoo was fun with the kids.

What's up with the toll roads? A couple of miles cost a couple of bucks. I'm sure area residents know all the alternate routes.

Well at least I got everything else right :freak::laugh:

How's it going Ronnie? Wish I could find a work excuse to travel down there. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Even though I'm not playing much, I'm doing well. In fact, I'm working for the company you came down to visit last time. It would be good to see you again.

The bass player had some major surgery last week, and will be out for quite a while. We're working on getting something together in the mean time, but till then, I'm just kicking back and actually getting a little writing done.

Willie Dixon

Ybor City was dead on a weekday afternoon but still fun to walk

Bern's Steakhouse was fantastic. I've been to all the top NYC steak restaurants and Bern's ranks with, and possibly surpasses, the best of the them. The wine list is outstanding and well priced. I noticed a rare CA red that retails for around $60 and Bern's price $68. Would definitely eat there again.

Glad you liked Berns. Did you take the tour of the wine cellar? Did you do the dessert floor?

Sorry about the Columbian. Guess it's hit or miss. Ybor is dead except for Friday and Saturday nights. Should have warned you about that. It's a New Orleans type of atmosphere with lots of beads and boobs on the weekend.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

We thought Ybor would have that NOLA vibe so we went on Mardi Gras late afternoon figuring it might by hopping.

Yeah, we did the full Bern's tour. Wine cellar is impressive. We went to the dessert room but I just had coffee.

On the way to the airport yesterday, we went to Legends Field but missed a short morning practice session. I looked all over the web for info on the Yanks practice schedule but couldn't find anything. Never thought about simply calling the team office for practice session times.:facepalm: That facility is beautiful.

Archived