Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer (yes, I know) BDI 21 pedal- anyone use it?

5 string Mike

I have an opportunity to pick up one of these Behringer stompbox modeler/ DI's for some award 'points'. I know Behringer stuff isn't the greatest, but for basically 'free' and nothing else in the points range I like, it might be an ok alternative to lugging my BP200 around.

I like the fact it has 1/4 out and DI out. I've been in a few situations having a DI would really help. From what I've read, the 'modeling' effects aren't anything to write home about (no surprise) but you can get some pretty neat sounds out of it.

I'm not expecting a Sans Amp, but I don't want a paper weight either. So, has anyone used one enough to know how it is?

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never used that particular device but I do own two other pieces of Behringer gear. The one is a Bass V-Amp that I bought years ago when my church decided to stop using stage amps. I wanted some sort of modeler but did not have much money. It actually sounded great for about a year then started getting very noisy, glitchy and completely unusable.

The other piece of Behringer gear that I own is a Europower EP1500 power amp. I bought it 4 to 5 years ago and have had no problem with it. My only issue with it is that it does not put out near as much power as they claim.

I have decided that I will not buy anymore Behringer gear. My church and friends have bought their stuff and there always seems to be something misleading or just plain cheap about them. Not to mention their shady business practices.

My vote is don't do it. Use those points towards something else.

.. The one is a Bass V-Amp ...

I know a guy that used one too. It was pretty decent.

.. a Europower EP1500 power amp.... My only issue with it is that it does not put out near as much power as they claim.

Yeah, they are a little too generous with their power rating. I have a BX1200A supposedly 120W but it's like peak watts on a good day. But, it's been a great stage monitor.

I have decided that I will not buy anymore Behringer gear. My church and friends have bought their stuff and there always seems to be something misleading or just plain cheap about them.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My church has those bulky Behringer powered DI boxes that eat batteries and tend to get flaky.

My vote is don't do it. Use those points towards something else.

I'd like to, but everything else in that range I either have or don't need/ want. In order to get more points, it'll probably take a year.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Got one. Mighty cheap construction. Weak DI ouput. Sounds decent, darn close to a Sansamp BDDI. But, I got a deal on a Sansamp. Love it. Strong DI output and just sounds so good... Not using the Behringer, or even thinking about it now...

Got one. Mighty cheap construction. Weak DI ouput. Sounds decent, darn close to a Sansamp BDDI. But, I got a deal on a Sansamp. Love it. Strong DI output and just sounds so good... Not using the Behringer, or even thinking about it now...

Ahh, that's what I was looking for. I wouldn't anticipate using the DI very often, but if the effects themselves sound decent enough that I can use it in places where my BP200 is kind of cumbersome, then it doesn't bother me to get it for 'free'.

It should work until I can get a 'real' SansAmp.

Thanks for the input.

I have both the BDI21 as the V-amp Pro for Bass. Have used both in several situations, both live and in the studio.

I don't expect the BDI21 to sound the same as when I go through my rack preamps or any other kind of studio equipment. However, in most live situations, it has served me real well, quite easy to dial in a decent sound, and the signal it delivers, although not the loudest or strongest one, is quite decent, and can be helped with a little "oomph" from the mixer's trim control.

Nowadays I use it mostly with my fretless bass on small stage situations, and it works just fine. No complaints at all. Only thing I wish is it could be powered from Phantom Power :P.

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

• 1 month later...

Bump

Well, two weeks ago this thing got it's maiden voyage unexpectedly.

I got it in the mail and threw it in the closet with my other stuff, forgot about it. Then at church, the (behringer DI box they had for bass was out of commission- battery powered, leads shorted out against the nice sharp aluminum case and melted the lead), and no other DI was to be found (except in the youth room area, which was locked and no one there had a key).

I remembered I had the one at home, so I ran home and got it- it saved the day. I didn't have much time to play with it, but it did sound ok, worked well, nice low profile space claim, so I think I'll just keep it in the bag because I'm sure I'll need it again... :thu:

Archived