Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somewhat OT: Borrowing $ for Musical Projects

BlackandWhite

Has anyone borrowed from a lender, in exchange for payment of principal, interest, and a % of royalties (revenues from sales of music in any format)? If so, what issues and negotiation points should I be looking for? It needs to be unsecured, i.e. no dedication of house/dog/son as security. Thanks.
"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record companies have provided those unsecured loans for decades. :laugh:

Folks have used bank loans, credit cards and other creative ways (fundraiser, gigs, etc.) to finance their musical projects.

However, the real question is strength of fanbase i.e. # of folks already committed to purchasing the product.

Before going to a bank, try to line up private investors. Still helps to have a solid business plan.

Also, talk to an entertainment lawyer to figure out how to legitimize the endeavor and insure everyone gets paid. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've never heard of ANY commercial lender funding a venture like this on an unsecured basis.

Typically, this kind of arrangement works best with private/angel venture funding.

YMMV

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I financed a couple of CDs by pre-selling them. I also invited people to support my work by kicking in $50, $100 or $500. Give $100, get your name on the website, give $500, and I'll come do a concert at your house kind of thing.

You have to have a bit of a base to begin with, but I got a lot of help and made a profit.

I'll be doing it again in a couple of months. We'll see if the changes in our economy will affect people's willingness or ability to do this.

Archived