Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

paul simon's graceland.

rumpelstiltskin.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time I heard it was the song, They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha. The flip side of the 45 (which I still have) is the whole song reversed.

I have that single as well. Napoleon XIV, right? I always preferred the 'B' side - I used to drive my family out of the house on a fairly regular basis with that.

Good times, bro.

Play. Just play.

Bad news: Could not score tickets for PFunk in the city tonight.

GREAT news: I got tickets for Ladysmith Black Mambazo tonight instead -- in the nearby burbs, no less -- to be preceded by an ethnomusicology lecture.

Jeez, I'm one lucky gal!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Now I want one like that for Peg by Steely Dan.

You do have this, don't you? http://www.amazon.com/Steely-Dan-Aja/dp/B000I5XD06/ref=pd_cp_d_0_img

There's a segment where Rainey breaks down "Peg" and why he didn't give Becker/Fagen what they wanted.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

My cousin had the Napolean XIV album. I only remember (vaguely) two songs. One was "I love to go where the nuts hunt the squirrels", which was similar to "They're Coming...". The other was "Split Level Head", where he talked through verses very fast, and eventually was doing different verses on the left and right side, which soooo fit the title.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

My cousin had the Napolean XIV album. I only remember (vaguely) two songs. One was "I love to go where the nuts hunt the squirrels", which was similar to "They're Coming...". The other was "Split Level Head", where he talked through verses very fast, and eventually was doing different verses on the left and right side, which soooo fit the title. Tom

I remember "They're Coming to Take Me Away" as well. I was maybe 13 when it came out, and I thought it was hilarious. But as I recall, it was taken off the air for being insensitive to the mentally ill.

Now I want one like that for Peg by Steely Dan.

You do have this, don't you? http://www.amazon.com/Steely-Dan-Aja/dp/B000I5XD06/ref=pd_cp_d_0_img

There's a segment where Rainey breaks down "Peg" and why he didn't give Becker/Fagen what they wanted.

I love that clip. Becker & Fagen just kill me. So exacting, so anal-retentive, really. Stellar taste in studio musicians. I have on VHS Donald Fagen - Concepts for Jazz/Rock Piano. Such great insights into where Fagen's musical ideas originate.

I remember reading somewhere decades ago about how Phil Woods came into the studio and nailed the alto sax solo on "Doctor Wu" the first time through. Becker and Fagen purportedly sat silent for a moment, then said, "Mr. Woods, could you please play that again? It was perfect the first time, but now we just want to sit back and listen."

Another story reported that the charts for "Aja" were so complex that Wayne Shorter requested that he be allowed to take them home and study them before playing his solo.

Urban legends? Maybe. But these guys sure brought an interesting approach to pop music.

Archived