Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winwood at Super Bowl...

Phnymiboy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at my wife and said, "this sounds like the mix we get when the [local channel] broadcasts performances from the Fourth of July event here every year." She said, "I wasn't going to say anything, except ask you when it was over, but yeah!"

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I was ther and watched most of his concert - he was amazing as always, his guitar playing is just so damn good won't even go to the B3 discussion. I have heard that the sound at the network carried for both these Fan Jams and The Who was not that great.

I was in the stadium and can tell you that the sound was very good, the light show spectacular and very few of the 72k in the stands were sitting during that 12 minute set. On the field beside the stage I could hear the fans over the stage monitors. At this point in time I have to admit that I caught part of Justin B... (young kid that all the kidletts are screaming over) - he is actually quite the entertainer which was so pleansantly surprising. Also saw Rhianna and meh... too much Ashely Simpson going on there (backing track with full vox and instrumentals). All I can say is that you American throw the best party in the world hands down. Been to a couple World's Fairs and 1 Olympics - Bloody fantastic job you all do!!!!!!!!

That was just ridiculous, the way the broadcast sound mix was basically all Roger and Pete. I looked at my wife and said "why'd they bother hiring Winwood when they could have just picked up a local schlep for a lot cheaper to serve the same function, be sonic wallpaper behind the Old Fart Show.... :freak:

Yes, vocally Pete Townshend was abysmal. He never was a great singer, although a great songwriter and rhythm guitarist, but now he can't sing in tune!

They're still dynamic performers, of course. I certainly wouldn't want to hear that performance again,though.

I believe that The Who's performance will permanently put an end to the use of Classic Rockers for Superbowl halftime shows.

What will replace them? How about some stupid reality show final? Like trotting out all the fat people from Biggest Losers for a final "weigh-off"? Or how about a good marching band?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Don't you think that the Archies would be a little too HIGHBROW for football fans?

Yes, I'm kidding. In high school, though, I was considered a "hippie" (long-haired pot smoking guitarists) and thought that the football players were serious knuckledraggers.... Now I no longer feel that way about athletes in general, though I'm still not sure about THOSE guys!

I enjoyed seeing Stevie Winwood though. And David Letterman with Oprah and Jay. Maybe next year the three of them can sing a song.

I believe that The Who's performance will permanently put an end to the use of Classic Rockers for Superbowl halftime shows
I disagree.

Next year, Freddie and the Dreamers.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImLhAbLT4c

Oh God,Buddy Holly didn't die in that plane crash.

He came back as Freddie!

The nightmare has begun!

Too bad they can't get the Bedbugs.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAX3tymeCQ

I played gigs like that... Love F-Troop. Especially like the Native Americans with Brooklyn accents...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived