Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EV SXA 100+ powered speakers?

MoodyBluesKeys

Anyone got any experience with the above? I know that the EV SXA 350 seems well liked. Wondering if the 100+ has a similar (but not as loud) sound. Intended use - a pair with my keyboards.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, Moe. I looked at all 8 pages of that thread last night, but missed that post. Mebbe I oughta try a search.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Well - I did wind up buying a pair of the SXA 100+ from an EBay vendor (less than $600 for the pair including shipping). They arrived yesterday afternoon.

Quite good, actually - for the amount of money. The intended purpose is to replace the pair of Trace bass amps and cabinets that are located at the church to get a better sound quality. At the moment, they are set up in my shop/studio instead of the EON 15G2's - each one weighs almost as much as the EON, but the smaller 12" cabinet is a lot easier to get up on the stands.

I don't know if they are in the same league with the SXA350's or not - I'd really like to try a pair of QSC K12's - but $580 instead of $1400 or so ...

Jim

I thought so - the lister had a BIN for $600 plus $48 shipping, with Best Offer click - I offered $500 and ship, they countered with $525 + 48 = $572 total. I've been out playing the PC3X through the DAW into them this morning - nice clean sound, NO discernable background hiss (in the 24x24 building, the EONs do make a slight hiss). I may just wind up leaving the EVs here and carrying the EONs to church. I've got bags for the EONs, but have a key so I could grab them and put them in the van anytime I need more sound.

Jim

TheSXA 100+ is different than the SXa-360. They use different components and the SXa-360 has more clarity and power. Thus the higher price.

Find 500 of Harry's jazz piano arrangements of standards, for educational purposes and tutorials, at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Fully understood - at the price point of the SXa-360 (since I live 100+ miles from anywhere I would be likely to be able to listen and compare pre-purchase), I would probably have gone for the QSC K12's. At the full list price of the SXa-100+, I'm not sure which direction I would have gone. The used pair happens to be clean in appearance, seem well cared for.

I still wonder why (reported from NAMM) EV is discontinuing the 360 and the 100+ is still listed - maybe it sold better in its lower price market, don't know.

The size space I'm using the 100+ pair in means they are adequate power for what is needed. I still have the pair of EON 15G2 if I need comparable power to the 360. Unfortunately, they do weigh more than the 360, but I won't be moving them often.

Jim

These still look interesting...

[video:youtube]

BRILLIANT !!!!! A microphone in front of the speaker to demo the sound :thu::thu:

My Golden Retriever has a higher IQ than all the DJs in LA combined :laugh:

With the SXA360 being discontinued, I'd think you'd be able to find a pair on closeout for a pretty decent price.

From what the EV rep (this same guy in the video) told me, the SXA360 was priced too high, it was never a popular seller. He said even with the price decrease last year on the 360, it was too little too late. They will have a ZXA replacement around May he said if you need the 12"

Those new ZXA1s are light. I think you could carry a pair without too much effort. If these little guys sound as good as advertised, they will be very popular. At that price put me down for three--2 on poles and one on the floor as a wedge.

BRILLIANT !!!!! A microphone in front of the speaker to demo the sound :thu::thu:

My Golden Retriever has a higher IQ than all the DJs in LA combined :laugh:

Yeah, that brightened up my day too!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

How heavy are the 100+'s by the way?

Good price on the pair and glad they're working out well!

The EV literature says they weigh 43 pounds each net. However, the pair were shipped UPS with a listed weight of 65 pounds for the box (they were missing the plastic floor monitor "feet" but I wouldn't think that would add up to much weight). They are a sight easier to hoist up on a speaker pole than the 15" JBL EON G2s - probably not so much the weight but the smaller size and different shape.

I was looking for a pair of 360s on closeout - that may happen in the future, but I couldn't find any vendors anxious to clear out stock the past few weeks.

Jim

Archived