Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

wedding band - To be or not to be

Eric Jx

If the client has a big budget, get them to hire a quartet to open for 45 mnins. . .spotlight dance, dollar dance, chicken dance, In the Mood etc. 15 minute changover and then blow the doors off the place.

That said, if it were my band, I wouldn't do it unless I got 2x my usual fee in advance, cuz it's likely not to be comfortable for the band and some of the audience.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We include specifics about the bandwiches (including timing) in our rider and have never had any issues.

I think that's our problem - while I've discussed it with the wedding party, I've not included it in the contract, and the caterer or facility never seems to be on the same page. In fact, I'm not proud of the fact that I've really had it out with some facility coordinators over such things because, as I say "you didn't hire us, the bride and groom did". While I want to work well with the facility, they didn't hire us. We were hired to do what the bride and groom asked, not the caterer. I'm also sorry to admit that on one occasion, I did have to mention issues we were having with the wedding party, who promptly straightened it out. I avoid doing that like the plague - I don't wan't them to have to deal with ANYTHING. They should just be able to enjoy themselves. But if the facility creates a situation that is just unworkable that inhibits our ability to do what we were hired to do, then I have to try to rectify the situation. Like I said, that only happened ONCE.

Incidentally, I mentioned meeting with the wedding party ahead of time. It helps to visit the facility as well (after the bride and groom so you can review with the facility). You really just don't want any surprises. My take on it, is you are dealing with people who aren't used to dealing with you. You have to help them through it as much as possible - think of things they don't, cover your bases, make sure everybody knows what to expect. Again, in the end, EVERY single client has been more than happy - we've gotten tips, pictures, good recomendations, etc., but they've all been a major pain in the ass compared to the "show up and play to a big crowd of hot chicks showing you their t!ts" bar crowd. And yes, double pay is about right... although ask "coach" - sounds like in the bay area you're talking more like 5-10 times pay.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived