Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Latest Addition

J J

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/jjsipos6/004.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/jjsipos6/002.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/jjsipos6/003.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/jjsipos6/001.jpg

2010 American Special Telecaster

This series was just introduced about a week ago. I didn't even know about it when I went to the local guitar store the other day. I compared all their American teles and this was the winner for me.

It's got the raised "ashtray" bridge and three-brass barrel saddles. Also has Texas Special pickups that sound AWESOME! Only comes in two colors though; Faded White (it's called olympic white but it looks more faded) and sunburst. Only comes with maple fretboard too. It's the tele for me though; all the others I liked, but this one I couldn't put down.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you hover the mouse over the given image in your PhotoBucket Album, a drop-down menu will appear; you want to right-click/copy the URL given for "Direct Link", and right-click/paste it in-between the UBB-code "Image" brackets for display here.

Hehhehh, I mistakenly typed "PhotoBucker" the first time- I must have "humbuckers" stuck on my brain! :D

This series was just introduced about a week ago. I didn't even know about it when I went to the local guitar store the other day. I compared all their American teles and this was the winner for me.

It's the tele for me though; all the others I liked, but this one I couldn't put down.

:cool: Cool! That's great; you've got a good one there, for sure.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Dude, call the Toe-Truck! :D;):thu:

I like your latest edition ;) ; nice pics! Beautiful guitar, lovely almost "pearl white" kinda finish; I see what you mean about its looking like a slightly faded "Olympic White". Purty-purty.

Hey, izzat a Hot Rod DeVille 2x12? I had one of those, and the date Sharpied onto its main PCB was my Birthday, same year I bought it!

Yup, Caevan it's a 2 12'' alright. I also run a Blues Jr too. I'm not all Fender, I swear, I have a Gibson SG somewhere ;)

That's a really cool coincidence about the date on your amp. Do you still have it?

Funny thing about this amp and guitar is I've never heard a guitar bring out the overdrive in this amp quite like this tele does. And I've played a lot of different guitars through it. Sounds really vicious and smooth n sweet all at the same time! I wish I had the technology to put up some sound clips but I'm afraid I dont.

I much prefer the classic 3 brass bridges on Teles.

You know, Jim Campilongo in the new GP talks about how his toploader Tele sounds "mellower" and has more bottom end... and thinking about it... if the slightly smaller scale of Gibsons gives them more bottom end due to the nature of string tension, shaving off an inch or so by having a top loading bridge might do the same, along with anchoring it to the mass of metal rather than wood (or a small string ferules)? I have an Am. Std. Tele that's about 10 y o that could use a little darkening and mellowing in tone.

Thanks guys. glad you think she looks good

How much was it? That's a NICE tele!

Fender's been strange lately. They've raised the prices on the Mexicans and lowered the price on the americans. Fine by me! The Standard American was selling for 999.000 there and I got this American Special for 799.00. But of course I ended up buying a hard shell case too for 100. The American Standard, however, comes with a hardshell case. This came with a gig bag so the seller bought it back from me. hey, Works for me!

Also, between the American Special and American Standard there wasn't any difference to me in quality between the two what-so-ever. :laugh: In fact I've really come to liking those jumbo frets!

Thanks guys. glad you think she looks good

She ain't pretty, she just looks that way. :rimshot::D:thu:

That's a really cool coincidence about the date on your amp. Do you still have it?

It was funny, 'cause when I bought it, I commented that it was a birthday present for myself.

An' 's'matter o'fact, I traded it for a 1967 "blackface" Fender Pro Reverb 2x12 combo in the same shop where I'd bought it.

Funny thing about this amp and guitar is I've never heard a guitar bring out the overdrive in this amp quite like this tele does. And I've played a lot of different guitars through it. Sounds really vicious and smooth n sweet all at the same time!

That's great! Gotta love getting a good combination goin' like that. :cool:

You know, Jim Campilongo in the new GP talks about how his toploader Tele sounds "mellower" and has more bottom end... and thinking about it... if the slightly smaller scale of Gibsons gives them more bottom end due to the nature of string tension, shaving off an inch or so by having a top loading bridge might do the same, along with anchoring it to the mass of metal rather than wood (or a small string ferules)? I have an Am. Std. Tele that's about 10 y o that could use a little darkening and mellowing in tone.

Could be the string length, although I never understood how the length of string behind the bridge mattered. I would think the mass of the bridge would have more of an effect. Nevertheless, Campilongo's Tele is a 59, so it could also just be about mellowing with age, and a general wearing out of the pots & tone cap. Whatever it is, he sounds great.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

He has a sig model Tele by Fender, now, and it's a toploader, too.

I've wondered that same thing about the behind the bridge string length. Jazzmaster and Jaguar guys have all kinds of theories, some of them put combo stop tailpiece/bridge on them to "give them a deeper tone" when sticking humbuckers in them.

He has a sig model Tele by Fender, now, and it's a toploader, too.

Interesting that they would bail on the string-through-body idea for just that one year. Did somebody convince Leo that it wasn't as good as a stop tailpiece, then he changed his mind again later? I always thought the argument for stringing through the body was better sustain.

I've wondered that same thing about the behind the bridge string length. Jazzmaster and Jaguar guys have all kinds of theories, some of them put combo stop tailpiece/bridge on them to "give them a deeper tone" when sticking humbuckers in them.

Lot of opinions on all sides of the tone issue. Extra string length logically makes sense as far as extra elasticity for bending. Beyond that, I really don't know.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Very nice-I was never that into teles but the more I happen to tune in to some of the country pickers out there the more I gain respect.

I'm no fan of country music at all, really. I like Rockabilly but that's as far as it goes for me. It's just that versitle of a guitar. It can rock with the best of em for sure.

Very nice-I was never that into teles but the more I happen to tune in to some of the country pickers out there the more I gain respect.

A friend of mine is one of the busier jazz guitarists in LA & he plays a Tele. Gets a great jazz tone out of it. It's not an L5, but it gets a beautiful round warm clean tone when the highs are rolled off.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived