Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mallet Finger Injury

Call Me Bob

"...probably mess around with some open tunings in the meantime..."

I understand your wanting to do SOMETHING on the guitar while you're waiting, but you might want to double check with your Doctor about whether it's wise, just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Hopefully, it'll be perfectly OK to do so; I'd even guess that will be the case. But it's better to know than to risk making things worse or take longer to heal properly.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The finger is pretty-well immobilized with the splint; I don't think I can hurt it any way. No Pain or anything, so....

I've tried slide....for about 28 years. It eludes me.

If you'd like to listen, I added an open-tuned acoustic tune to my soundclick page. It's an open tuning that I did using only the first finger on my left hand. The splint gets in the way of my other fingers. :(

Thanks again for all the replies here. I sincerely appreciate it!

https://www.yousendit.com/download/RmNEZXR5VnNwaFRIRGc9PQ

knuckle slides were the only way I could ever do it, which have a limited amount of strings they'll cover...

but I've been meaning to order this thing. Check it out, I think it probably is easier for those of us who are thrown by having a slide on one of our fingers, it swivels out of the way when you don't want to use it.

http://www.swivelslide.com/

TeleStratsPauls -

I did the same thing as litttlepig - right hand index finger - I was scrubbing the kitchen floor with a sponge to help out the wife (I'll never do that again!) and jammed the finger into the floor - same deal - snap, droop. Immediately knew it was bad. I'm now on the 6th week of the splint, and supposed to go start the physical therapy next Monday. The scary and sort of infuriating thing about this is that there's no way for them to tell whether the healing "took" until they take the splint off. So, I'm bracing for the possibility of big disappoitment and another 6 weeks with the damn thing on.

In the interim I have been able to play, holding the pick with my thumb and middle finger. (Can't play any of my beloved Chet fingerstyle stuff of course...) I'm trying to be optimistic and tell myself, hey this is how Eddie VH holds the pick all the time, and soon I will be the tapping/harp harmonics king! I even did a 3 hour gig with my finger in the splint: that was a challenge and a constant distraction.

Re: the dryness - I have an aluminum/foam splint, held on with 3M Durapore tape. The tape is waterproof, but of course your finger is gonna get wet and the tape will get gnarly and a little stinky. I've found that I have to replace the tape every 3-4 days. When I do of course I am carful not to let the fingertip move from the horizontal. I have a tube of antiobiotic gel, and I apply some of that around my finger and under the knuckle-end of the splint using a Q-tip. This keep the dryness down and heals any little dings that might happen from the dryness or tape binding. At first I tried some of my wife's moisturizer creams, but they didn't really do the job. Check it out...

Good luck and here's hoping it all heals fine soon!

Dave G. in NJ

Thanks, Dave. I had the same kind of splint as well, and I also have some with mole hair, both used with that 3M Transpore tape.

To help keep it dry when I shower, I cut one large finger off of a rubber glove, and that slides easily over my splint. I then use a small rubber band at the base to act as an external gasket that prevents water from getting in, and it keeps the glove finger in place. It's reusable, and I've been able to keep the splint and my finger dry.

I TOTALLY agree about the healing process. I want to test it--it actually feels like it wants me to test it--but you know that the clock goes back to 6 weeks if that test fails, so I'm just going to impatiently wait it out. Better safe than sorry....

4 more weeks...ugh....

Good luck with your rehab. Hang in there!

Yep, the human body is amazing at healing itself, but you have to give it the time.

I wasn't a guitar player at the time, but I was unloading steel bar stock (say 3-4 inches in diameter, about 50 feet long). My buddy told me to watch where my fingers were when I cut that band.

Sure enough, a bar rolled over top my finger and pinched it betwen another bar...OUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHH!

Hurt like hell for a few days...no blood or anything. Then my nail goes from yellow to blue to jet black over the next few weeks or so. Squeezed it, a bunch of nasty-ass stuff comes out and so does the fingernail. Funny, but no pain; it healed inside out and then just got rid of the nasties :) ROFL

To this day, my ring finger on my right hand at the first knuckle "bends" into my middle finger by about 1/8" :)

Just don't rush anything and you'll be fine!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, I sincerely appreciate it a lot.

The splint came off, and it looks like I'll be OK in due time. It's a little bit bent into a "swan neck deformity", but I think I'll be able to work around it. It's still sore, and I can't bend it enough to play yet, but that'll go away eventually. I'll get there.

Thanks again. :cool:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you for your post.I also jammed my index finger on my left hand 2 weeks ago. I have played guitar for 45 years and am now retired but I still rely on playing the guitar to keep me sane. I have been wearing a splint for 2 weeks now and will see the surgeon in another 4 weeks to see how and if it has healed.I would appreciate further input from you and the healing process.It has been difficult to search out any one who understands my situation and how much it means to my sanity.

Thank you

• 2 months later...

Archived