Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Evans quotes

Dave Ferris

http://www.billevanswebpages.com/billquotes.html

These two in particular I empathize with.

"Perhaps it is a peculiarity of mine that despite the fact that I am a professional performer, it is true that I have always preferred playing without an audience".

"I believe in things that are developed through hard work. I always like people who have developed long and hard, especially through introspection and a lot of dedication. I think what they arrive at is usually a much deeper and more beautiful thing than the person who seems to have that ability and fluidity from the beginning. I say this because it's a good message to give to young talents who feel as I used to."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think it really matters whether a person starts with early ability or fluidity... eventually it comes down to a combination of dedication and talent. No matter how talented a person is, the real work still needs to be done.

Well, I sure wish I'd had the headstart of ability and fluidity!

And yet so deeply self-destructive--"couldn't wait to die," according to the Pettinger biography, after his brother died. When you think about all the abuse he put his talent through, it adds some complicating context to the comments quoted above. Certainly, he worked harder than anyone, but at the same time, the years and years of abuse of multiple substances...it's paradoxical, especially in this age, in which people tend to view physical health and mental clarity and general care of the human instrument as very much a "part of the art."

My favorite musician ever, probably, or at least right there next to Bach and Lennon/McCartney...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I must admit I know next-to-nothing about Bill Evans. One of my piano teachers in college (whom I greatly admired) was a real Bill Evans disciple, but I tended to cleave to the more populist side of Jazz - Oscar, Gene Harris...

This posting has given me some pause, and I think I'm going to go do some biographical reading.

Thanks for the interruption!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Magpel, I hadn't framed that quote (which I've heard many times) within the context of the fact that he was indeed very self destructive. I've always turned to that quote as a source of inspiration, but as you say, in light of his life, it is thought provoking.

I think you can separate the comment from the man though, and one has to wonder if he would have lived a bit longer if his drug of choice hadn't been heroin.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Magpel, I hadn't framed that quote (which I've heard many times) within the context of the fact that he was indeed very self destructive. I've always turned to that quote as a source of inspiration, but as you say, in light of his life, it is thought provoking.

Just a little paradoxical. The guy lived to play the piano. He really lived for little else.

I think you can separate the comment from the man though, and one has to wonder if he would have lived a bit longer if his drug of choice hadn't been heroin.

No doubt. Note also that he was quite fond of cocaine later in life, was a chain smoker, and apparently ate very little, and his diet mostly consisted of candy. He was a physical wreck. It is miraculous he was able to perform up the level he did. This all according the excellent Pettinger biography.

This all according the excellent Pettinger biography.
Is that this one?

Yes, that's the one. I bought it for my Dad, a pretty accomplished jazz pianist and a contemporary--and huge, huge fan--of Bill Evans. My father didn't want to read it. Made him too sad. I read it and thought it was great.

Yes, that's the one.
Cool, added to the Wish List. Thanks!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I enjoyed reading it, especially the one about his work "singing".

He was really able to do so in a way that most pianists can't! That was one reason why his playing was so effective emotionally - it didn't FEEL abstract and intellectual, although he was as advanced as anybody! So lots of people who don't know anything about music theory love it, too.

I have to check out that biography as well. Hopefully it isn't too much of a downer! I always thought it was interesting, the way Miles described him as this solemn cat with no sense of humor.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived