Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Starting my own band

fingertalkin

I decided to start a new thread on stuff that I wrote on Davids thread about band complaints. Like I said, the guitarist bailed and now the singer and drummer have officially quit.

I emailed the former back up singer and keyboardist, they were in another "version" of this band and had been replaced a few times as was I. Anyway, since they were in the band and were fans as well as our photographer, I let them know that the band was over.

Rick, the keyboardist in the band, is first and foremost a badass drummer. He sat in on songs and it was unbelievable how much better we were. He is a career drummer and just super talented at about everything he touches.

We have hinted to each other about starting our own project but neither of us really mentioned it other than in passing. Well, I mentioned it and he is thrilled.

I told him what type of material that I wanted to play and he is down. I want to play fun, danceable type stuff. James Brown, Brick....that type of stuff.

Anyway, I am excited as hell about this.

How do you sign a computer screen?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, the guitarist that we were going to audition tomorrow had to cancel. That puts me back at square one. Oh well, I am not going to give up that easily.

Somebody will eventually come along and we will get this thing going.

One of the reasons I play bass in the band I'm in is because guitar players are overpriced at a dime a dozen. Drummers, bassists, keyboard players that know what they are doing, not so much. Keep on keepin' on, braddah, you'll find the right guy.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Well, the guitarist that we were going to audition tomorrow had to cancel. That puts me back at square one. Oh well, I am not going to give up that easily.

Believe it or not it can take a while to find a guitarist.

1. Some guitarists refuse to "sell out" and play dance music.

2. Many guitar owners need to reread the manual.

3. The guys who don't mind playing dance music and can actually play it well are probably already in working bands.

My last search for a guitarist lasted 3.5 months and nearly ended with me moving over to guitar and finding a bassist instead.

Keep looking. In the meantime start building a set list with your singer(s).

It does take time. I have some ridiculous stories. Mostly guys showing up that can't play the songs they had me learn for the audition.... I now ask for recordings. They usually ignore the request and I usually ignore them...

I had success creating a web site for my new band, even though it was just me and a singer at the time. Then I directed folks to the web site if they were interested. It made the band seem more real, gave me a chance to explain what I was after, etc. I got lots of hits from that approach from more serious/capable musicians. It did not "fool" anyone but it did let them know I was serious too. That band is gigging now.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Good points gentlemen. I am really excited to get this going. I found Bandmix.com to be quite helpful too.

I have thought about creating website. I found a band hosting site that is fairly inexpensive. I just may do that.

It doesn't help/hurt the cause that I am being extremely picky. I have talent of judging people and so far I just haven't vibed with anyone except the guy that canceled. I won't hold that against him. He seemed genuinely upset that he couldn't make it. He even called instead of email or just not showing up.

I am starting to agree that how someone answers and ad is important. I didn't know how I felt at first. I guess now I do.

Hello Bassplayers!

I am a female who just recently started playing bass. I had been starting and stopping for over 10 years, and then finally it just clicked. I got it...I don't know why "It" took so long. I've always wanted to play, but just never stuck to it. We have a family band (group) that consists of Lead singer/Keyboard/guitar/sax player, myself (Lead singer/bass) background singer & trumpet/background singer and computer. We work with midi tracks which gives us a small setting and allows us to perform in local restaurants. We were going through some tuff times with musicians not showing up for practice, can't get themselves together for gigs, so we went the midi route and it has really worked for us. You may want to check into that kind of set up.

Hey Welcome!

Yeah, we do use midi and the drummer triggers some samples that he makes on his keys from his kit, but we want a live musician. If we don't find one, then we will have to do something but I am glad that it works for you.

Hello & welcome, Keju Bass. We have no control over when our epiphanies strike. But you're doing the right thing about it, ie, diggin' in and gigging with who and/or whatever it takes to do it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

For a little update....

We had a guitarist that really wanted to try out bail on me last minute two weeks ago. That sucked. I jammed with the drummer which was a good time.

Tomorrow, I have another guitarist coming out and a male vocalist/sax/harp/guitar player coming.

After jamming quite a few of our set list with the drummer, mind you, this band is quite heavy on the keys, we decided that we didn't want a keyboard player. The female vocalist can fill out some sound on the keys and the drummer (also a keyboardist) is sampling main riffs of the keys and triggering them.

We also found that a lot of the songs have a sax in them. I thought it would be neater to have a sax player. We'll see how that works out.

I also took Ross's advice and created a website. Still a work in progress but it is decent for what it is.

I would like some feedback on it, if you all have the time. Like I said, I have not spent any real time on it other than to just get something up.

Check out www.retroboombox.com and let me know what you think.

Archived