Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two new bands in two weeks..... and an opening act gig.

jlrush

I officially joined a blues band yesterday that I have done several fill in gigs with. I've played with them off and on for a year and a half so it will be easy to fit in. Plus the leader is a long time friend. They are The BluesSlingers.

The second band is the one I've already played two gigs with in the last five weeks, The Mojo Roots. You might remember my thread about the NYE gig with the guys 20 and under. We have yet to practice but it seems that we may not need to practice much anyway. They pay straight ahead Chicago style blues and don't seem bothered if I don't play like their last guy did. I just play the songs the way they feel to me and if that's different from what they're used to, they don't seem to mind.

The Mojo Roots will be opening for the Ruthie Foster band at The Blue Note (not NYC) but in Columbia, Mo. Yeah, I know he stole the name, but that was more than 25 years ago. I hadn't heard of Ruthie Foster before, but after Googling her I found that she is Grammy nominated and is booked solid into next year on the blues circuit. Needless to say I am quite excited to hear them and I'm hopeful to maybe meet her and/or her bass player.

I am still playing in church three times a month too, so I'll be pretty busy playing, at least for a while.

:D:D

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah! I woke up this morning and discovered I was in two blues bands. I like that.

I hadn't heard of Ruthie Foster before. She's the lady we're opening for next month. Well, I found her on YouTube tonight and was quite pleased with her. I can see why she was nominated for a Grammy.

Check her out:

She's really fun and I enjoyed Travelin' Shoes very much.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Sounds like a very unbluesy thread due to the upbeat content :thu: Congrats !

Friend of mine called Bert (which gets bastardized to "Beir" here - pronounced "bear") wants to start a band with me called "Bluesbeir feat. Blind Lemon Mississippi Dave Tennessee". Guess which one's me? He intends to play guitar while I sing, play bass & bass drum pedal (...) Told him I'll do it provided I get to play blastbeats only (...) Now that will make people feel blue !

Back to topic now :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived