Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clapton/Beck at MSG later this month

rw2003

Tickets priced from $125 to over $250.

Is it worth it? I've never seen Beck (went to Irving Plaza last year and couldn't get a ticket the night of the show!!!) and last time I saw Clapton was back in the 90's at Shea w/ Elton John!!!

I know I'll kick myself if I don't.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be tough for me to come up with that much money for a ticket; but if you can afford it, go and have a blast. If you can't, then buy the Jeff Beck "Appearing Tonight at Ronnie Scott's" DVD and enjoy the songs they play together on that. Jeff seems to inspire Eric to push himself a bit more; greatness inspires greatness.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Let's see $500 for two tickets, $500 for the limo & dinner (or fingerfood snacks...sounds like a hot dress to the 9's date waiting to happen...would make a great valentines day before pledge or memory after...something to put in the card...but then again you didn't say anything about taking a date...if you're going to spend $250 a ticket, you may as well do it up right even if you go alone...
Take care, Larryz

Let's see $500 for two tickets, $500 for the limo & dinner (or fingerfood snacks...sounds like a hot dress to the 9's date waiting to happen...would make a great valentines day before pledge or memory after...something to put in the card...but then again you didn't say anything about taking a date...if you're going to spend $250 a ticket, you may as well do it up right even if you go alone...

The wife loves rock but only wants to see "her" bands... Rancid, Frank Black, etc... While she appreciates both Clapton and Beck, 2+ hrs of guitar solos is not her idea of a Valentines gift!!! To quote her... "You really want to waste $250 on a ticket for me?"

I decided I'm going... most likely get one of the cheap seats for $180!

What this show really needs is for Page to show up.

• 3 weeks later...
Somehow I knew you were going all along and you can always take one of your old guitar buds with you...have fun and report back to us after the show...

Ok... So I went to last night's show... Its always fun to go to the Garden for an event... all the usual scene outside 7th Ave, ticket scalpers and sad folks looking to buy, overpriced Sbarro pizza across the street for dinner, and the rush of the crowd all converging to get in just before showtime...

At 8pm or so, Jeff Beck opened the show with his Jeff Beck Band lineup + a 20+ piece orchestra (horns, strings, percussion) on stage left and right. JB's rig, from what I could see, consisted of Strat (rosewood neck and tremelo) and 2 half stacks. Each had identical Marshall 4x12 cabs. One head was vintage style Marshall, the other was a larger box... not exactly sure what it was.

He/they played for about 45 mins.... All I can say is WOW!!! I can't tell you exactly which songs he played but most were familiar. We all know his guitar playing is incredible and his technique unique... and it did blow me away, but while his show is built to showcase his playing what really amazed me were... the orchestrations of his material, the dynamics within the songs, his varying guitar tones (never discrete but always fluid) within the songs and the interplay among all the musicians - including the side orchestra. Also, the fact that the man played essentially lead guitar the whole time, carrying the melody most of time since there was no singer, yet never pulled out any "hackneyed" riffs, never repeated himself or be anything but exciting was truly amazing.

The highlight of his set was the rendition of the Beatles A Day in the Life... and his finale Pucini's Nessun Dorma... both incredible and very moving... especially played along with the full orchestra. He walked off to a (semi) standing ovation.

30 mins intermission to break down the stage and reset for Clapton. You know they left Beck's rig in place for the third set that everyone was waiting for while they assembled the rest of the equipment.

Clapton comes on at about 9:15 and plays a wide variety of his solo material. The crowd loved Beck but it was clear that the vast majority paid the $$$ to see Clapton play his hits for them. And that he did.. along with some of the acoustic and electric blues that we all love.

He started with just his acoustic and played and sang the blues for us. As good as JB is at what he does, so is EC at what he does. As he played, the band slowly joined in... first the bass and then by a few songs in the full band was playing behind him and the acoustic. No other guitar player (for now at least) just 2 keys, the usual bass player, drummer and bass... all exceptional. While still on acoustic he morphed from the blues into some of his more familiar/pop material. The biggest crowd favorite was "Rock and Roll Heart"

Then he picks up the strat and goes electric. Clapton's rig seems to be fairly small these days... just a Strat through his Fender Twin(?) combo.

The highlights of his 1 hour set were "I Shot the Sherrif" and "Cocaine". While EC's set was a little on the mellow side, the incredible part for me was to just listen to some of these songs that we've all listened to so many times over and over and hear live all those "Clapton" riffs, runs, chord progressions and tones that are etched into our guitar-player brains because we've tried so hard to emulate them!

So after an hour of solo EC, Beck joins him on stage with a Tele and slide and real fun begins with 'Shake Your Money Maker"... What a band... Clapton on vocals and guitar and Beck on lead!!! They proceed to play till about 11pm... all of the blues stuff everyone wanted to hear.. plus a moving version of Moon River. The real highlight of the entire night was both playing "You Need Love"...

Overall this was the most "mellow" arena concert that I have ever been to. In a certain way it felt like an intimate club show but with 20,000 people watching. The show was all about the 2 guitar players and their music. There was no need for any over the top stage antics or props. I guess its most due to the fact of the age of all involved!!! In my mid 40s, I felt on the younger side of the audience demographic. At then of the night, the audience gave a standing ovation and all held their blackberries, iPhones, etc in the air... just like the old days but no one has lighters anymore!!!!

Eric must be at the start of his solo set right now as I type this (Friday night 9:30pm). Somehow I think the second night will top last night's show.

All we need is for them to come back next year... with Jimmy Page as well.

Great review rw2003!!! Thanks for getting back to us...reading your review made me feel like I went there with you...I know you're glad you went and mid 40's being on the younger side is still pretty darn cool...Thanks again, Larryz
Take care, Larryz

Thank you for the heartfelt review; I really hope they will make a DVD of the concert.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Archived