Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Nelson - Be Bop Deluxe

tony conley

For any fans of Bill Nelson and his old band Be Bop Deluxe here's some words from Bill last week on his rig and playing from those days.

http://www.billnelson.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13702&start=20

The man is a gem.

Great writer, great musician, cool person.

If you're not hip to Bill's playing, a good place to start is the Be Bop Deluxe album, Sunburst Finish . Great stuff.

peace, tc

only love is real,all else is illusion

http://rockguitardaily.blogspot.com/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was some BBC music show that would rerun on cable when I was kid and BeBop Deluxe were frequent guests. I filed them with King Crimson, Roxy Music, Utopia and Japan in my head (other acts that turned up on the same show). I haven't really given them much of a listen since but remember it as smart art prog that I thought was cool, and Nelson as a Fripp/Manzanera-type that was very commanding. I'll check them out right now, as a matter of fact.

Here's an excellent audio clip of Crying To The Sky , a great Be Bop Deluxe song that features Bill Nelson's guitar skills. It's a very post-Hendrixian piece. The solo comes in at around 1:45 into the song and is absolutly gorgeous.

Their Sunburst Finish album, from which this is culled may be my favorite album ever, even 33 years later.

peace, tc

Fair Exchange is my favorite BBD tune, closely followed by Crying To The Sky. How are you going to beat lyrics like...

"Here I stand in a daze, axe in my hand,

Another fool on the stage with a traveling band.

There's a space in my heart... permanent flame,

Just give me your body and I'll give you my brain

It's a fair exchange (fair exchange)"

I remember being that guy...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Fair Exchange is my favorite BBD tune, closely followed by Crying To The Sky. How are you going to beat lyrics like...

"Here I stand in a daze, axe in my hand,

Another fool on the stage with a traveling band.

There's a space in my heart... permanent flame,

Just give me your body and I'll give you my brain

It's a fair exchange (fair exchange)"

I remember being that guy...

I may still be that guy....Great song....Fair Exchange is another tune with a ripping guitar solo as well, I think there's several clips of it on the old youtube - what a great resource, huh?

I listened to "Sunburst Finish" and "Modern Times" yesterday. Great guitar, good songs. I'd just listened to a Boomtown Rats concert from the King Biscuit Flower hour on Wolfgang's Vault.com (a treasure chest of archived concerts from over the years if you guys haven't stumbled upon it) and found some similar aspects between the two. There was prog lurking in the Rats' punknewwavepubpoprock (they were discovered by Phil Lynott, I believe) and the converse seems to be present with Be-Bop Deluxe.

Good stuff. and there's a look back at a Nelson interview from 2004 (crikey, I'm wearing socks purchased before then) in this month's GP.

I never heard Roxy Music, but Harold Budd gave me a tape of some duo gigs he did with Nelson in Japan which were just excellent. I don't think any of that was ever released but it should be. Really intelligent ambient textural stuff.

Scott Fraser

Harold Budd is very cool, that sounds awesome.

Glad that they are playing, I always liked them, Sister Seagull is a favorite song of mine, I (think) I saw them play (does one of the guitarists play a (refin) green Telecaster?

re The Harold Budd post , he is indeed a genius and I love his work with Brian Eno as well as Daniel Lanois Music for Airports

is in my top 10 of all LP's and ambient music #1 or close.

peace

:poke:

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Line 6 Variax 500 & Workbench

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

Seynour Duncan Shape-Shifter

eMac

re The Harold Budd post , he is indeed a genius and I love his work with Brian Eno as well as Daniel Lanois Music for Airports is in my top 10 of all LP's and ambient music #1 or close.

Yeah, Harold is great. Intelligent, articulate, & fun to hang with. He recorded his 'Avalon Sutra' CD at my studio.

He wasn't on 'Music For Airports' though.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Sorry about the wrong artist on the Recording,

My bad about "Music for Airports and Harold Budd being on that recording, I do have a CD that I really like (with Harold Budd + two other artists)

? Music for 3 Piano's ,Mr. Brian Eno is a very interesting , extraordinary person, Playing in Roxy Music, digging Gospel and

The wild side LP with "Baby's on Fire" and then the gorgeous ambient music and series of LP's & now working (for some time with U2) I first heard Brian Eno, Harold Budd ,Daniel Lanois, Roger Eno and many others; Deuter, Constance Demby on "Hearts of Space"from San Franssisco (it was sponsored by The Institute of Noetic Science) I lived close enough for many years to a college that its station carried the show on Sunday Nights (and I taped as many shows as possible (even program #1)it was run by Stephen Hill and Anna Turner (who sadly passed away and a tribute show of her favorite artists was done) I am out of radio broadcast distance (for free shows)now, but online www.hos.com ,on Sundays its a free listening day of the weeks show, the music is timeless. One favorite was "Where Space meets Jazz"and it still gives me goosebumps when I lisyen to it. You are a very lucky person to have worked with Harold Budd !

Peace

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

eMac

p90jr,

Thanks for the Wolfgangs Vault info!

That is a great site!

peace

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

eMac

I do have a CD that I really like (with Harold Budd + two other artists)

? Music for 3 Piano's ,

With Daniel Lentz & Ruben Garcia. I've recorded a number of albums with both of them also. Good stuff.

You are a very lucky person to have worked with Harold Budd !

Peace

Yes, I agree. I think I'm lucky to have worked with a lot of truly wonderful artists, some well known, many obscure. As long as you learn something from the process, every session can be really wonderful.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser,

That is out of this World (no pun intended) Such talent You have been able to work with and now I can listen and realize who was recording these great artists !

Great Work (Understatement)

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

eMac

Hearts of Space was a fantastic show-NPR carried it late at night, I think it was the last segment before their overnight programming. Vassar College (WVKR) radio has had a long running program called `Secret Music` that gets deeper into that genre and related sounds. In fact I`m trying to contact the DJ whom I`ve met several times. I have a copy of a CD that I mentioned here way back, by an Australian fellow who generates music from among other things, telegraph wires.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

p90jr,

Thanks for the Wolfgangs Vault info!

That is a great site!

peace

You're quite welcome!

I believe it began as a Deadhead show archive, then Bill Graham's son took it over and added his father's extensive private archive of shows from the lifespans of his venues, then they acquired other past broadcast archives (King Biscuit Flower Hour, which I used to tape religiously as a kid in the early 80s, those "off the record" interview things that used to air, etc) and newer web performance content.

Awesome, important and FREE!!!!!! Invaluable to curious young musicians as I see it.

Since there's an iPhone app that streams the shows it's made my regular commutes for gigs enjoyable and inspiring driving.

I have a copy of a CD that I mentioned here way back, by an Australian fellow who generates music from among other things, telegraph wires.

Is that Jon Rose?

Scott Fraser

I think the first time I brought up the CD someone mentioned Jon Rose-but that`s not him, his name is Alan Lamb. He has a home page but no sound samples unfortunately.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Here's an excellent audio clip of Crying To The Sky , a great Be Bop Deluxe song that features Bill Nelson's guitar skills. It's a very post-Hendrixian piece. The solo comes in at around 1:45 into the song and is absolutly gorgeous.

Their Sunburst Finish album, from which this is culled may be my favorite album ever, even 33 years later.

peace, tc

Thats really nice in thats in has a hendrix feel without been a cheesy rip - like those backwards sounds.

"Lyrics are not necessary and would only distract from the virtuosity of Stevens' guitar compositions".- Pinpoint Music.com

My website is http://www.mattstevensguitar.com

Archived