Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on Home Studio websites?

Gary75

Does anybody have any good links to this sort of project? I don't want people going over old ground here, I guess you have been asked many times!

It will be iMac based. I have some Kef monitors I got given, and was told they sound good and were used in a pro studio, no idea what they are until I unbox them.

I have a Mackie mixer, my keys, some mics, although not condenser.

Do I need any outboard gear outside of Protools plugins.

I can plug all my keys into my mixer then send come out into my MBox audio interface?

Sorry for sounding amateurish, it's been a laptop, cubase, and an alesis USB audio interface so far.

Oops, I promised not to ask specific questions!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all you want to do is set up a small system to record yourself, you've probably got it covered. A couple of mics, some headphones...

If you want to get serious about doing release-quality recordings, that is a whole different subject.

I don't know what is there these days but I used to write for a website called prorec.com. The archives should be filled with useful info.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Maybe you already have this figured out, but one way to use the Mackie mixer is with the Alt 3-4 outputs. I have set them up so that all my keys plus the output from the Mbox goes to inputs with the mixer outputting to your speakers. Connect the Alt 3-4 outputs to the line ins on the MBox. When you want to record one of your keyboards in Protools, just push Alt 3-4 for that channel. It will mute it from the mains.

If you're running Protools 8, they've included a lot of very nice plugins and I wouldn't think you'd need anything beyond that. Maybe a hardware reverb if you're doing a lot of vocals.

The Digidesign User Forum is a great place for answers and it's very well attended/supported.

Busch.

Thanks for the links, it's just a box room 11x11ft. I'm learning Protools LE 8 as part of my music course and will be taking the 101 exam Digidesign do. I'm turning into a chill room/home studio, as I turn 35 this year I think it's time! I'm not planning on any guitar/keyboard amps or anything, I heard how good the amp sims are and am really impressed how good you can get great produced sound from a small work area.

hi B3Boy,

(First post here) You can't go wrong with John Sayers site and forum. http://www.johnlsayers.com/. I think it is the best out there.

Also make sure you check out the recording manual at that site. It includes possible designs for common rooms sizes etc.

regards

Lynden

====================================

Hammond C3 / 122

Rhodes Suitcase 73 Mk 1

S90, JP6, Juno 106, Nord E3 73, Novation xstation, Voyager Xl

Archived