Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clonewheels with Combo Organ settings

Maestro Dirk

I know comparison of the various clonewheel organs is a typical and repeated thread on most keyboard forums, but my question is a little different. I'm curious about the combo organ settings on the current clonewheel organ offerings.

I currently own a Nord Electro2 and it serves me well for Hammond, Clav, and Wurli sounds. I did recently borrow a Nord Electro3 for a session specifically for the Vox Continental and Farfisa models. The guys in the band went absolutely wild for them and they really served the songs better than the Hammond model. Other than the Electro3, which clonewheels also offer a combo organ sound and if you own one what are your impressions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nord C1 and C2 have what you're looking for (The NE3 uses the C1 engine).

I own a C1 and use those tones sparingly (not that they're bad, they're actually quite good - it's just that I don't have a need to cover any songs with those sounds).

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

IIRC, the Hammond XK-3 has a couple of combo organ patches. Not sure if they are any good or if the XK-1 has them. Seems that most romplers have a combo organ patch or two. My Korg Trinity has a patch called "Garage Organ" I really dig.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Check out the second half of this video (about 33 minutes in) and see how this guy gets a pretty good combo sound with an Electro 2.

(The video is pretty big and will take some time to load even on a fast connection so be warned.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks for those of you that have chimed in. I've also listened to the demo of the Ventura/Tokai clone and it has a drawbar tone called Metallic that also nails the Vox tone.

I've got a bad case of GAS for the Electro3 since I know it gives me what I want. However, there is another part of me that wants a clone with real drawbars, but the ability to nail a combo tone would be a necessity. The sounds I use for my band (http://thebulletproofvests.bandcamp.com) would be 45% B3, 45% Combo Organ, and 10% piano/mellotrons. We are an all original outfit, with selective covers - usually Kinks, Dylan/The Band basement tapes stuff, or other garage type stuff. I do feel it is a real shame that combo organ stuff is usually ignored in most modern music and the organ market, other than the Electro3, is directed specifically at Hammond clones.

Here are the Tonewheel sets and Transistor organ sounds in the XK-3c:

BType1, BType2:

Real B-3

This template faithfully simulates the classic model, B-3. It contains low motor hum and some leakage noise.

80s Clean

This template simulates the B-3 sounds in the 80s. It contains reduced leakage noise.

Noisy

This template is for passing all sounds of picked-up signal. It contains full motor hum and leakage noise.

Noisy 60

This template boosts noise sounds. It contains full motor hum and leakage noise.

Mellow:

Full Flats

This template simulates the most ideal tone-wheel set. Their values are the same at each wheel.

Husky

This template has the characteristic of lower middle range.

Flute Lead

This template has the characteristic of lower bass and treble, contrasting Husky.

Brite:

Classic X-5

This template faithfully simulates the classic model, X-5. It contains dull triangle waveform and flat output levels on every wheel.

Voxy Full

This template has the most bright sounds. It is suitable for surfin' music.

Cheap Tr.s

This template simulates an old transistor organ. It contains insufficient bass and treble.

Saw:

Farf. Norm

This template faithfully simulates the classic Farf. organ. It contains dull sawtooth waveform and flat output levels on every wheel.

Farf. Boost

This template has the most bright sounds of the templates.

Cheap Tr.s

This template simulates an old transistor organ. It contains insufficient bass and treble.

They are also all adjustable so you may create your own tone as well. Each catagory has an extra set or two that are copies of the first one in the group so you can tweak those and still have the original available.

I own a Vox Connie. I haven't heard the XK-3c, but the Vox tonewheel sets in my XK-3 are pretty damn close. The only drawback is the vibrato speed doesn't quite go fast enough and the highest octave are missing that nasty cutting edge that the real deal has.

I hadn't messed with the Transistor organ TW sets because I didn't have anything to compare to. My old GEM organ passed away years ago. I just tried tweaking a few "wheels" now. Increasing the volume and raising the high pass filter to between ~110 and ~119 as well as dialing in some resonance on the few I tried (84 - 86) so far heated the signal up some. Whether or not it does what you are looking for I don't know.

I currently own a Nord Electro2 and it serves me well for Hammond, Clav, and Wurli sounds. I did recently borrow a Nord Electro3 for a session specifically for the Vox Continental and Farfisa models. The guys in the band went absolutely wild for them and they really served the songs better than the Hammond model.

why not find yourself a nice Farfisa and set your Nord on top of it?

Archived