Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody know anything about CGI scripting?

I don't need anything too complicated. I just want to have a multi-field form parsed and emailed to me with an attachment upload. I have the page built with the form, upload and submit/reset button, so all I have to do is point the script to the form, my email, and the users' email, right? Can anyone recommend a good book or website I can "borrow" code from? It probably depends on my website host server, but I don't have that set up yet. Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of Host's will supply you with a basic one. I learned just enough to modify ones I found on the web. Sorry I don't have a specific link, My "web design" days were on a retired system and I never transfered my bookmarks. I just did a search on CGI/Perl scripting tutorials and came across many free ones with instructions how to modify. If you are near a bookstore check O'Reily's "Perl in a Nutshell (something like that). If I remember correctly it had some URL's to form process scripts.

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

I have a separate, general question in this area [hope you don't mind me co-opting your thread for a bit, Dude!]: I've noticed that the designations of thread files on these forums (shown in the address bar & which are used to reference cite/link one thread into another) changes sometimes between"cgi-bin" & "php"---what's that about? (asked the computer illiterate)

You first need to find out what scripting language has been installed on the host. Once you find out, try finding a pre-written script. If you are fortunate, they'll have Perl available. CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network - I think!) has a great archive of scripts available on the web. Sorry I don't know the address off hand. O'Reilly publishes a great series of books on perl. If you're new to Perl, their "Learning Perl" will get you started. "The Perl Cookbook" has been invaluable to me. But your host will have to let you know what kind of scripts they support. Some have JAVA, JavaScript, even C and C++. Have fun.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

• 3 weeks later...
That's fine. If you ever do need a really simple (free) cgi script for form-to-email (and one's not already provided on your server), get [url=http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html]Matt\'s FormMail[/url] , which only requires two small code changes (server and recipient addy) to be fully functional. Piece of pie. Slice of cake. ;) - Jeff

I was going to say that "CGI Tutorial" or "Perl Tutorial" in google will give you almost everything you need. wrave: You must be one of those bearded, suspender-snapping UNIX guys?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel: [b]That's fine. If you ever do need a really simple (free) cgi script for form-to-email (and one's not already provided on your server), get [url=http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html]Matt\'s FormMail[/url] , which only requires two small code changes (server and recipient addy) to be fully functional. Piece of pie. Slice of cake. ;) - Jeff[/b][/quote]That's the one I had in mind, thanks Jeff. thisDude, I think that is a good choice on the PHP.

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

Yeah, I looked at Matt's Formail, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't support file attachment/upload. I fooled with another script called Soupermail from Matt's Script Archive, but after seeing what you can do with PHP and mySQL, my little project just got a lot bigger.

[quote]Originally posted by thisDude: [b]Thanks for the tips. I think I was barking up the wrong /root with the cgi :D . After doing some research, I think a PHP enabled server with PostNuke/PHPBB is the way to go.[/b][/quote]Sorry I missed this thread earlier, but I would tend to agree that PHP is the way to go. PostNuke and PHPBB might be overkill for what you're doing, but I can help you with any PHP and MySQL (including PostNuke and PhPBB) if you need it.

So Lee, are you a PHP/MySQL gun for hire? I am bidding an e-commerce site (the music business is just too slow for me right now) to a audio dealer. Would you be available for some freelance work if it comes up?

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

Archived