Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic B200- questions

5 string Mike

Yes, another gear question.

Long story short, it's time to upgrade from my little Behringer stage monitor size 12" 120W, and being on a limited budget, I've been looking at the Acoustic B200 combo. it seems to get solid reviews as a good little amp for the money. (I know it isn't much of an upgrade, but I really don't need a half stack or real big power. I also know there are better used amps, etc. out there but just hear me out on this one).

Doing some digging, there is the B200 combo ($349 new) or the B200 head and 1x15 cab ($399 new). For convenience and space, I'd probably go with the combo.

But, here's the issue. The head itself is rated 200W @ 2 ohms. It has 2 speaker jacks on the head, and the B115 cab is a 4 ohm speaker, so in order to get the 'true' 200W output, it appears it needs another cab added. The combo version of the head appears nearly identical except where the top speaker jack is, they put the tweeter on/off switch (this switch is on the B115 cab with the separate configuration)

Here's the main question. There is a conflict of information in the Acoustic user's manual I found on line. The wiring diagram for the combo version of the head has the internal speaker plus the external cab jack wired in series- the description in the features section has the jack listed as parallel. FWIW, the separate head with the 2 jacks is shown in the diagram as parallel.

It makes sense to me, for manufacturing costs, etc. that they would keep the head configured the same and just change the one jack to the on-off switch.

So has anyone here dealt with these enough to know either way if the combo version's external jack is indeed parallel?

FWIW, one of the big reasons I would like to go this route is the option to expand/ add on with maybe a 2x10 cab or something- but if the combo jack is wired series, it would almost defeat the purpose.

Thanks for your input

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The combo probably is in series as the internal speakers are probably wired to get the full 200 watts from the amp. If the external jack on the combo was parallel then plugging in a speaker would drop you below the rated ohmage and probably damage the amp. The external jack on my Nemesis combo is wired in series for that reason.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

i don't see how you can answer this question without some doubt.

the manual says on page 9 that it's 200W @ 2O under "product specification". in "rear panel layout" on the same page it specifies parallel output and 4O minimum load. it also clearly states in the signal flow diagram on page 14 that the external speaker is in series. it even includes an explicit note for those not adept at reading the diagram. the wiring diagram also shows the internal speaker to be 4O.

additionally, the acoustic site, the amp is 200W @ 4O.

all of this adds up to the likelihood that it's 200W @ 4O, with a series speaker output for the combo. but it's not definitive by any stretch. it's cheap-ish, but at 67 pounds, i would have to be convinced by the tone.

honestly, for $50 more, i'd go with a trace elliot 715 (62 pounds) or for $50 less i'd go with a hartke A100S (51 pounds). that is unless the tone is the tone.

robb.

I'm diggin' the Hartke- I like their tone, and even at 100W, it's still lookin pretty good. :thu:

Yeah, robb, it looks like the odds are the combo external jack is in series. I'm worried about tone (that's why the Hartke looks good) but I still need to get over two guitars and a drummer. (not sure if 100W even from Hartke will have enough headroom)

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I'm thinkin an email to the company might be in order to clarify the ratings on those amps. The manual says 200W @ 2Ω for both the combo and the head, and the specs on the description page say 200W @ 4Ω, as well as the label on the back of the B200H head... Somewhere there is a typo, or specs have changed and not been fully updated or something...

I have not had the opportunity to mess with any of the new acoustic stuff, but I really loved my old school head when I had it. Hopefully they were able to recreate the old lineup accurately...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Yeah, robb, it looks like the odds are the combo external jack is in series. I'm worried about tone (that's why the Hartke looks good) but I still need to get over two guitars and a drummer. (not sure if 100W even from Hartke will have enough headroom)

i would say it's a near certainty the jack is in series. i would also say that with two guitars and a drummer, 200W and a single 15 is not likely enough. at least the hartke is a kickback, so you can hear yourself, even if the other three can't hear you. ;)

otherwise, kalamazoo.craigslist.org/msg is the place to look for a little more.

robb.

I've been looking around- all I've seen lately on the regional CL are either the 1xxW combos for $300 or big stacks for $600+. Then there are the 20 year old 4X10 cabs with 2 popped speakers that looks like it's been through a fire, yadda yadda. But, I have been keeping an eye out. There is a guy who has a Peavey TKO (he claims) 200W 1/15 for $300. But, from what I read about them, they are like 160W by themselves and 200W with an extension cab.

Actually, speaking of Peavey, a browse through MF last night I found a pre-order for a Peavey TKO 400W 1x15 combo for $350 that looks inviting. Even if it's peak, 400W should get the job done. I'm not looking to blow my eardrums out or perpetuate volume wars. I don't know a lot about Peavey, but the guys with Peavey PA equipment I've talked to seem to like it and my neighbor had a Peavey bass he liked. I think I'd trust a Peavey a little more than and Acoustic, so that's really got my atention now.

Actually, speaking of Peavey, a browse through MF last night I found a pre-order for a Peavey TKO 400W 1x15 combo for $350 that looks inviting. Even if it's peak, 400W should get the job done.

Gig-worthy in every respect. Plus, at $350, you have the money left over to buy the required hand-truck to get that thing around.

• 3 years later...
If you really need 200 watts, I'd advise you to get an amp that will generate that much at 8 ohms. Pushing an amp to it's limits all the time will burn that booger up, probably about the time the warranty runs out. The question you need to ask is how much volume do you need? 100 watts at 8 ohms might work if you're in a quieter group. It probably won't compete with two full 100 watt stacks and a drum kit in a full-on, balls to wall, damn the eardrums, full speed ahead kind of band. One thing I'm finding out these days is that 100 watts doesn't seem to be as loud as it used to be. I can remember bands with 2 100 watt half stacks and a drummer that used clubs for sticks, and the bassist used a hundred watt Kustom head and a 2x15 cab with no problem. i bought an SWR head listed at 100 watts, put it through an 8 ohm 4x10 w/ horn, and it didn't disturb my cats at 3/4 volume. If you're looking for an amp that will work in pretty much any band, get something with about 400 watts at 4 ohm. You can always turn down

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived