Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig: When you tested the Aphex Acoustic Exciter...

Craig: I read your review of the Aphex Acouistic Exciter recently. Did you notice that the balanced output was very weak ? Also, oddly enough, when I plugged my TS 1/4" cable directly from my guitar which has a piezo/magnetic/mic blend into the Acoustic Exciter it cut off the mic. If I went into a DI box first it doesn't. Did you run into this at all ? Finally, how much of the effect did you actually dial in ? I found that if I went more than 3 on either the effect knob or the blend (level) that is was too much. Overall I also found the sound to be okay but a little soft A/B'd next to the original signal, sort of like bad compression. Any thoughts ? Thanks a lot and sorry for all the questions.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by shikawkee: [b]Craig: I read your review of the Aphex Acouistic Exciter recently. Did you notice that the balanced output was very weak ? Also, oddly enough, when I plugged my TS 1/4" cable directly from my guitar which has a piezo/magnetic/mic blend into the Acoustic Exciter it cut off the mic. If I went into a DI box first it doesn't. Did you run into this at all ? Finally, how much of the effect did you actually dial in ? I found that if I went more than 3 on either the effect knob or the blend (level) that is was too much. Overall I also found the sound to be okay but a little soft A/B'd next to the original signal, sort of like bad compression. Any thoughts ? Thanks a lot and sorry for all the questions.[/b][/quote]I reviewed the Acoustic Exciter in EQ. I don't recall any problems with level. Not to state the completely obvious, but it is mic level, and will require a mic preamp.... The AE only has a single input, not sure what you mean about the mic getting cut off. Perhaps a cable problem? The amount of effect depends on what you are after. I dial it in pretty subtly -- exciters are real easy to overuse! You have to use your ears, and continually compare the dry to effected tones to make sure your ears haven't become numb to the effect. If it's too "soft" you may have too much low end dialed in.... Hope this helps!
the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

Archived