Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quick Question on the Nord Electro 3

innervisions89

Hey all,

Just got back from NAMM smitten with the Nord Electro 3! My one concern (other than those damn LED drawbars :evil: ) is the lack of a halfmoon leslie switch. I'm wondering if you are able to use Nord's halfmoon (designed for the C series) with the electro (by using the rotary foot switch input). If so, does the switch mount as easily and seamlessly as with the C's?

Thanks much!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adrian:

Firstly, welcome to the forum! :thu:

Next, I did a quick check on the NordKeyboards.com website, and the C2 uses a 1/4" TRS connection for the half-moon switch, while the Electro series only use a momentary (TS) connection for the Leslie control. This tells me that unfortunately the half-moon won't work (as intended) with the E3.

It may work as a slow/fast switch, but that depends on how the half-moon switch is wired compared to the position of the switch. Hopefully someone here that has the switch can provide some input on this.

SC is correct, but to add a bit, the (TS) momentary connection does provide the added benefit on the NE3 of acting as a sustain pedal when in piano and sample modes with no further adjustments.

The (TRS) connection on the NE3 is used for swell/volume (expression) pedal connection in the organ and sample modes.

Hope this helps.....

For my NE2, I made a momentary switch that is attached by velcro. Click HERE for a picture of it. I used a thin RCA cable cut to length with a 1/4" jack on the other end. I can use it, the speed switch on the electro or my footswitch to control Leslie sim speed. I had to use a button (red, of course) because a toggle would stick up above the key level and would get in the way when playing low notes or swipes. Using the stronger type of velcro that's available, I have had no problems with the switch coming off during a performance. It's not as sexy as a half-moon switch but it does the job.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I use the Nord half moon switch with my Stage Compact.

Plugs into the F/S switch jack.

Slow & Stop = Slow

Fast = Fast

Works like a dream.

I used a very thin but durable double sided tape to place it. The thinnest 3M VHB tape (I find velcro to "wiggle" too much). Black gaffer tape to secure the cord neatly along the bottom of the keyboard.

I use the Nord half moon switch with my Stage Compact.

Plugs into the F/S switch jack.

Slow & Stop = Slow

Fast = Fast

Works like a dream.

I used a very thin but durable double sided tape to place it. The thinnest 3M VHB tape (I find velcro to "wiggle" too much). Black gaffer tape to secure the cord neatly along the bottom of the keyboard.

Hi RedKey, thanks for your input. Never thought about it, but can you maybe tell me a bit more?? What happens if you put the switch to the middle position (I think Clavia calls it break or so??) Also, wouln't it be possible to plug it into the Control Pedal plug and assign MORPH to Leslie speed and then have three speeds woth the Halfmoon switch??

And is it really much more convenient than using the Leslie speed button?

Finally, do you have a pic of how it looks with your fixation?

Best regards

Johannes

www.norduserforum.com

Left (Slow) = Slow

Middle (Stop/Break) = Slow

Right (Fast) = Fast

No pedal controls break on the Nord's

So the Half Moon Switch toggles between Fast & Slow.

Won't work with the control pedal plug to control a morph.

I actually use it to control a Ventilator. I have discovered that also controls the internal switching which is great when I bring only my Nord Stage and no rack to a rehearsal.

So, to answer the question of it being more convenient.

I only use Fast & Slow. For that it is more convenient. Being able to use your palm in a simple swing like motion by feel is far better that a switch/button that I need to locate with my eyes. IMHO.

$100 more convenient..... maybe not.

Again, I use it to control my Ventilator most of the time.

Pics in a minute.

Archived