Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Macbook Setup

b3keys

Hi everyone,

I am just getting into the wonderful world of softsynths and have a setup question.

I have the following:

Macbook (not Macbook Pro)

Software:

Logic

Waldorf Edition

Waldorf Largo

Scarbee VKC

GForce Virtual String

NI Komplete 5

Arturia JP-8

I hope to add the Korg Legacy (Analog and Digital) editions, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX and a few others over time.

I am obviously going to run out of hard drive space very quickly with these soft synths. Without getting into purchasing something like a Muse Receptor, how would you suggest that I set up these soft synths? What would be the best configuration? An External Hard Drive? Recommendations?

Thank you for your help!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you talking about gigging live with that rig? I'd be scared to run more than a couple of those on my macbook in a live situation. But if you're just talking about being in the studio, I'd run any of the sample based soft synths off an external drive - - NI Komplete 5 For instance. It saves internal hard drive space and it's better for it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I am also running a lot of that on a 2.5 year old Macbook. I have Logic 9, NI Komplete 5 and some Arturia stuff. I have the Komplete 5 samples for Elektrik piano and Knotakt and Battery running off a 500 GB external. Logic 9 is all on the computer itself. That way when I'm away from the HD on the go, I can still work on stuff and have a sample set with which to work.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

First thing, reinstall the OS and only install necessary languages and printer drivers. For example, I only need English on my computer and HP drivers, so those are the only ones that are installed - saves a bit of room. If you don't have Snow Leopard, get it - it's a much leaner install, very stable, and Logic can be run in 64-bit mode if you so desire.

With the Logic install, you can do a custom install and offload the vast majority of the library to an external drive (FireWire if you have it) - saves you 40-some GB of space on your internal, but Bobby makes a good point of being able to have those sounds with you. You can even choose to install some of the libraries locally and offload the rest to your external. Put your Scarbee libraries and Komplete libraries on the external too.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

What would you know Kevin, you didn't exactly Write the book on Logic.

Oh wait....

+1 on the advice offered so far. I use the MacBook for studio, normally. If I have to play it live, I've got to be careful with how much I run on it. I'm getting my Receptor upgraded as we speak, so the live issue soon will be a non issue.

Speaking of 'writing the book on Logic': Kevin, how do I locate a copy of your book for purchase ? Lot's of gaps I still need to fill in; still relatively young at DAW/electronic music production.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My experience with both DP and PT is limited. Are you talking about using them in conjunction with each other or moving to a single app? What kind of work are you doing in a DAW?

Love PT for post audio type work, love DP for composing and scoring. haven't been able to get real comfortable using ONE of them exclusively. Logic looks like it might be great for composing, but what about audio post & scoring?

Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

Logic has a decent notation editor, but it's not nearly as robust as a legit notation program. Still, there are a couple heavies in L.A. that use it. Logic keeps pace with DP for composing though IMHO. Can't speak from the post experience.

My experience with both DP and PT is limited. Are you talking about using them in conjunction with each other or moving to a single app? What kind of work are you doing in a DAW?

Love PT for post audio type work, love DP for composing and scoring. haven't been able to get real comfortable using ONE of them exclusively. Logic looks like it might be great for composing, but what about audio post & scoring?

If you love using PT for audio, chances are nothing else will do. PT is built for audio, and has been that way from the start. That said, a lot of composers use Logic as a front end to a PT HD rig. Logic Pro gives you the ability to use HD hardware with Logic seamlessly. In terms of audio, Logic has made huge strides in the last two releases, and IMO is as powerful an audio application as is available, but workflow is important. If you like the Logic way for sequencing and recording, you'll probably dig it for editing and production. By scoring I assume you mean to film. Logic has a ton of great video and sync features, and while DP may be the dominant scoring application on the Mac, Logic is every bit as capable, and the integration with FCP is unparalleled. If you mean scoring as in notation, Logic includes a robust notation editor, but one that is not as powerful as a dedicated notation program. I got into Logic as a keyboardist, looking at it as a sequencer with a ton of great instruments. When Pro bundled all the previously ala carte effects and instruments for $1k, it was the best deal on the market. For $500 it's a steal. It's worth it just for the plugs. Whether it suits your workflow, that's something I can't answer, but rest assured that people at all levels use it for everything that PT, DP, Sonar, Nuendo, etc... are used for (and vice versa)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I updated my internal 250GB HD on my black MacBook to a 500GB 7200 Seagate ($129). It was quite painless. I just cloned the original, connecting it using one of those inexpensive USB-to-SATA kits.

You can really trim down NI Komplete in addition to Logic. I'm sure once you load it you will find parts of the library you can delete.

Busch.

I hope to add the Korg Legacy (Analog and Digital) editions, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX and a few others over time.

I am obviously going to run out of hard drive space very quickly with these soft synths. Without getting into purchasing something like a Muse Receptor, how would you suggest that I set up these soft synths? What would be the best configuration? An External Hard Drive? Recommendations?

Thank you for your help!

Go for the external hard drive. The Spectrasonics stuff is incredible, and also requires incredible storage space. I think Omni soaks up 55G, and the new Trilian is around 44G.

I'm going to be adding another drive myself, as my 500G library drive is just about full up.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived