Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD700GX Piano Kit

b3keys

P.S. Although I'm interested in the entire thing, I'm curious about the upright and would like specific comments on that.

Hey Joe, that was ur post about the upright..truthfully, when I got to the upright sound, it actually made me sit up and take notice..it was pretty good, and one of the better sounding piano's on the card..again, my opinion.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the input so far guys.

I mentioned this to my wife, and she said, "I thought you liked the pianos in the RD already?" I said, "yeah, but if I like these better" and then being the wise a$$ I am, said, "sort of like if I met a woman I liked better than you." :D

[Yeah, she knows I'm full of it. Don't worry about her or me. We're good. :thu:]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The new kit reminds me of the 1987 RD300S to some extent... expressive at the expense of tone.... for me the stereo imaging is not very wide and the basic character is quite brittle and over bright... the sound is like a modified Expressive Grand patch

However, after some editing with the MFX1 set to SuperFilter (with knob down to zero) and some EQing the tone started to sound like the Promega 3 Steinway...

Thanks, GregC, for posting the demo.

Just by the demo, I kind of liked it. "Kinda liked" is not a raving endorsement, but it has a bright piano character and a life to it that could be fun in a band mix. I still tend to lean more towards the dark, warmer sound in the GX/FP's denser piano sample, but if I had the GX, I'd get the card too.

I used the SuperNatural Piano at a gig for the first time last night. I must say that I am very happy with the sound. Just for comparison, I switched back to the Expressive Grand patch that I had been using (that I thought was at least acceptable) and quickly switched back to the new piano. And I'm talking about the factory patch that comes up automatically when the expansion board and new O/S is installed; no edits. The Expressive Grand sounded very thin in comparison. This new sound eats the original factory patches. I wasn't all that impressed after first installing the board and listening through headphones and my amp at home. But after using it on a gig, the new sound has the balls that are lacking in the original piano sounds. It is very dynamic. I found that just this one new piano sound worked for every song instead of having to select different patches; one for mellower tunes and one for heavier tunes. It was possible to get the sound I needed just by how I played dynamically, which is the way it should be.

Bottom line, if you have an RD700GX and a little extra cash, the SuperNatural expansion is worth having.

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I still have an impression that Expressive Grand have the ability (hidden yet by roland) to sound much better then it is.

Anyway I wonder how that new supernatural piano sound compare to Ultimate Piano which I like a lot and use more often then Expressive Grand.

About the most extensive demo I've seen so far of this. How are those that bought it getting on with theirs?

[video:youtube]

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Looks like the same guy played the same thing on the Nord Piano which I'll post in the appropriate thread as well.

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm not impressed. In typical Roland fashion, there's an odd artificiality--almost a weird chorus effect--to it, and the decay is way too short--it's too plinky plinky--especially in the upper registers. By way of comparison, the Nord sounds much more natural to me.

I think I'm in agreement wih D-bon... its dynamic but thin... perhaps some editing will help... but yeah its not a warm sound by default... maybe through a PA its different but atm I can't help but think something like the Nord Stage 76 is a better all round gigging machine...

Strange... I thought the Roland sounded a little fuller/rounder in the upper mids and highs here, and the Nord sounded more piano realistic in the lower mids and lows.

No DP piano sound is ideal to me. I may still prefer the GX/SX/FP sampled grand to either of these.

BTW, the demo was nice and long, but painful. Now I've got that melody stuck in my head.

I much prefer the GX/SX/FP4 Superior Grand to this.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The rd is an ok DP..I use it mostly out of necessity..I do prefer certain Kawai's, but they are hard to find..n heavy...I really do want to try the new yamama cp5, not the 1..I wont pay 5 grand for any dp and I think 25 is too high for the cp5...Never been a nord guy..I wont get this card since Ive tried it n it really didnt do anything for me.

Archived