Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD700GX Piano Kit

b3keys

Nothing to report other than Roland has slipped on promised delivery, a shocker :)

Most mfgr's fall short on ' estimated delivery dates' for new products, to be fair.

Anyway, I might hear something Feb 10, but I won't lose sleep, if its the sounds of silence

:D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.....If it turns out to be all we hope, this card would certainly replace my SRX-07 not-so-ultimate keys.

I also have the SRX-07 card in my older XV-5050. I agree that the "ultimate keys" description is not fitting. I still use the stock acoustic piano and clav sounds in the base XV unit. Where the SRX-07 helps is in providing better sounds for organ (sorely missing in the XV base), Suitcase EP, and serviceable tenor sax and trumpet patches (once I removed the vibrato from the solo patches). For me the SRX-07 fills in some holes in the base XV unit. I don't know if it would still be relevant with newer generations of Roland synths.

The SRX-07 (and the other 4 SR-JV-80 repackages in the SRX series) was relased in 2002. The Roland SR-JV-80-07 was based on sound sets and waveforms released from 1994 to 1996 which were in turn based in part on sound sets released earlier.

Roland got blood from a stone when releassing those as SRX cards.

So far we haven't seen an ARX modeled JV-2080 card with a repackage of all the more popular sounds from the 20 or so SR-JV-80 expansion boards. But I have faith. It's coming......

The SRX-07 (and the other 4 SR-JV-80 repackages in the SRX series) was relased in 2002. The Roland SR-JV-80-07 was based on sound sets and waveforms released from 1994 to 1996 which were in turn based in part on sound sets released earlier.

Roland got blood from a stone when releassing those as SRX cards.

So far we haven't seen an ARX modeled JV-2080 card with a repackage of all the more popular sounds from the 20 or so SR-JV-80 expansion boards. But I have faith. It's coming......

will enough care ? I read many times that expansion board sales were underwhelming. Cost to produce, small profit, etc, etc, zzzzz

[70's Songwriter]

My Japanese is non-existent, but you get the gist. Obviously recorded by some rep on a handheld cam and therefore of no value in determining quality. I'll await Greg's report - dealers here indicate end of this month for first deliveries.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

My Japanese is non-existent, but you get the gist. Obviously recorded by some rep on a handheld cam and therefore of no value in determining quality. I'll await Greg's report - dealers here indicate end of this month for first deliveries.

yep, mostly useless vid, unless one likes to hear someone else's sinus/congestion issues.

EOM is classic delivery speak for next month. I will follow up around 3/5.

I still recall my Roland XV 3080 purchase. Promised for April. Received in June.

[70's Songwriter]

My question is how much better than the onboard sounds can it be?

Better enough to justify the cost? The more I use my 700 the happier I am w/it. Is it me, or do the card sounds feel a bit, say, almost with a slight bit of latency? I have the ult card, when I use it, I get a feeling of detachment. Mabey its me, but the onboard sounds feel more connected. This card is going to have to sound like an actual Steiner for me to consider it..in all reality, how much better can they do given the board and its specs?? (No, Im not trying to sound like a poopy pants 8)

ADino, just a thought, but have you adjusted the touch sensitivity for use with the SRX soundss? I find that for most of the outboard sounds, I typically have to reduce the "Sns" setting from the default +35 to about +22-25.

here are the 17 " new" Piano-Tones listed:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/k-rd700gx1.pdf

:LoL:

I saw this at Rolandized. err, Clan of Roland, or whatever.

There is also an underwhelming Italian youtube on the SupNat'l there.

Its 94% blah blah blah.

Funny how the product isn't shown. we get 35 seconds of sound. I suppose its top secret.

Its demo'd on a HP model.

Are you impressed yet ?

:)

[70's Songwriter]

"Ragtime Grand"? That's a funny sounding name and combination.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

UK comedian Frank Skinner tells the story of how he bought a CD, "The History of Black Music", as a seduction aid - thinking it would be all Barry White and Marvin Gaye etc - and put it on play as he began making love to a girl he'd brought back to his place.

Unfortunately for Frank, the history of black music went rather further back than he expected and that little-known aphrodisiac, "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin, blared out of the hi-fi.

"Well, I could only apologise. I said: 'I'm really sorry - I don't even like jazz.' She said: 'It's ragtime.' I said: 'Well, you could have said so before we started...'"

ADino, just a thought, but have you adjusted the touch sensitivity for use with the SRX soundss? I find that for most of the outboard sounds, I typically have to reduce the "Sns" setting from the default +35 to about +22-25.

Hey Aid, no I havent, but thks for the quickola...What I have been doing is, to stay away from using modules, I have been creating setups of sounds I need for certain situations...say, the clavs tend to be a bit weak, so Ive been experimenting w/creating a setup consisting of several clav sounds mixed to give the overall sound a bit of fatness.

We'll see how that goes...Thanks again.

UK comedian Frank Skinner tells the story of how he bought a CD, "The History of Black Music", as a seduction aid - thinking it would be all Barry White and Marvin Gaye etc - and put it on play as he began making love to a girl he'd brought back to his place.

Unfortunately for Frank, the history of black music went rather further back than he expected and that little-known aphrodisiac, "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin, blared out of the hi-fi.

"Well, I could only apologise. I said: 'I'm really sorry - I don't even like jazz.' She said: 'It's ragtime.' I said: 'Well, you could have said so before we started...'"

:rimshot:

:)

Here are demos of HP-307/305 series. They have SuperNatural pianos:

[video:youtube]RZfQFtDDOj8

you can stop at 3:51 unless you like GM demos :)

[video:youtube]keLTyr42240

you can stop at 3:12 or continue to hear exciting verbiage of the piano lid and music stand :)

I have this urge for sauerbraten , sauerkraut & Heinekin. There must be sub-liminal cross marketing in the demos

[70's Songwriter]

"I have this urge for sauerbraten , sauerkraut & Heinekin. There must be sub-liminal cross marketing in the demos"

Actually Heineken is a Dutch beer which nobody in Germany would drink :crazy:

good correction. Tell me a few good German beers for my edit.

[70's Songwriter]

"I have this urge for sauerbraten , sauerkraut & Heinekin. There must be sub-liminal cross marketing in the demos"

Greg,

Sorry for being a smart ass. I would look for Bavarian beers. I heard Paulaner and Erdinger start to export a lot. But those are wheat beers. If you look for classic German Pils beer which you can actually buy in the US, Becks might be your choice.

Greg,

Sorry for being a smart ass. I would look for Bavarian beers. I heard Paulaner and Erdinger start to export a lot. But those are wheat beers. If you look for classic German Pils beer which you can actually buy in the US, Becks might be your choice.

no problems, I think most should lose their thin skin, after a while.

I was in jest. I prefer wine. SW Germany is the place. Have you been there ?

[70's Songwriter]

Hmm. I hear some of the unattractive metallic qualities which I detected in the V-Piano too but once the other instruments come in it seems to sit very well in the mix, which suggests it might be a better live proposition than the GX's on-board samples, which too often can get lost.

Greg, I wasn't sure from your rather enigmatic response to the post on Roland Clan whether you were impressed or not?

Hmm. I hear some of the unattractive metallic qualities which I detected in the V-Piano too but once the other instruments come in it seems to sit very well in the mix, which suggests it might be a better live proposition than the GX's on-board samples, which too often can get lost.

Greg, I wasn't sure from your rather enigmatic response to the post on Roland Clan whether you were impressed or not?

hey bro, I am happy to hear ' something ' of this kit.

I think it brings a larger character to the GX.

By nature,I am leery of demos which can be somewhat misleading.

No change on my side, I am still looking forward to it.

[70's Songwriter]

• 3 weeks later...
GregC's post in that other thread has given me a bit of GAS for this kit. Does anyone else on here have it yet? Most resellers don't list it in stock, though Sweetwater currently does. I'm thinking of giving my rep a call

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

P.S. Although I'm interested in the entire thing, I'm curious about the upright and would like specific comments on that.

GregC's post in that other thread has given me a bit of GAS for this kit. Does anyone else on here have it yet? Most resellers don't list it in stock, though Sweetwater currently does. I'm thinking of giving my rep a call

according to my rookie SweetH20 rep, the purchase is cash refundable. I did not get

into days/months to return or restocking fees.

Quiz your dood on that.

I use to own a Yamaha U3 . I hope to be able to give some perspective on that GX kit upright tone.

[70's Songwriter]

I just installed the Supernatural Piano Kit in my RD700GX. I have been using an edited version of the Expressive Grand for most tunes and my initial impression is the new piano sound is a bit richer than any of the stock sounds. It seems that the polyphony gets eaten up much faster when layering a sound like one of the string ensemble sounds along with the Supernatural Piano sound. I'll have to check that better against using one of the stock piano sounds. Obviously if I chose one of the mono pianos that should help but they sound fairly boring as compared to the stereo sounds.

The upright piano in the SprNat is just a re-EQ'd version and not a different sample set as far as I can tell.

Luckily I traded some items for this expansion that I hadn't used in quite a while and that would have been hard to sell so I had no money outlay. I think if I had to pay cash for it, I would have opted for a nice steak dinner and a keg of beer.

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Hey all, Im in Florida, did get to try an rd w/this board installed...and of course every player has their own take, needs, etc etc...

I played the 1st 2 tones, onboard, which I use all the time..for awhile, then switched to the card...truthfully? I see no need to plunk for this...I didnt get to try it w/any type of group, just in a shop running thru their system..mabey I was expecting a bit much, and I did go baknforth between the onboards and the card..someone mentioned the upright, which actually was pretty good and did add a new dimension to the situation..so I could see someone getting this to add the sounds that do not come w/it, and broaden the boards use. All in all I think the cards pretty good, for me..no need to add it simply because the piano's on the rd are ok...if someone wanted to add it to get more tones, especially the upright..then by all means..

Archived