Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD700GX Piano Kit

b3keys

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just asked Eric about this on Facebook, a few of them tried it. I will let them report here.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have faith ( not Roland faith) that it will be a keeper

:)

I have to say I am very disappointed in Roland.

They released RD700GX with mediocre sounds without ARX slots

and now they're trying to boost poor sale numbers by patching holes using old SRX technology mixed with new one. :freak:

I played the "supernatural piano sounds" in a RD700GX.....thought they were super lame.

Wow, I played the RD-700GX and thought it was one of the best sounding and feeling digital grands I've ever played.

Just waiting to check out the CP-5 before deciding on one.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I played the "supernatural piano sounds" in a RD700GX.....thought they were super lame.

exactly what I think, but less lame as super natural EPs.

Well, Margana, having spent some time with the GX's EPs, I'm actually beginning to rate them a bit. But they do take work and some drilling down into.

The most disappointing thing about the GX as delivered is that its factory presets are pretty poor efforts and don't do justice to the machine's capabilities.

Sorry to hear you weren't impressed, Nicky. I'm withholding judgement on the expansion board but even as it stands, I'm still very happy with my GX.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Well, Margana, having spent some time with the GX's EPs, I'm actually beginning to rate them a bit. But they do take work and some drilling down into.

The most disappointing thing about the GX as delivered is that its factory presets are pretty poor efforts and don't do justice to the machine's capabilities.

you're right Nadia, actually I got some usable EPs after a while of tweaking but still way worse then on my Motif XS.

Roland policy is not customer friendly in opposite to yamaha...

ok maybe I was a bit harsh.....but I didn't think they sounded any better than the stock sounds. But also, I'm sick of the whole Roland exp thing....thanks for buying our $2600 stage piano, but to make it sound really great you need to buy our expansion piano card.....whether you like Nord or not, it's pretty cool that they keep offering new pianos for free...so at least when you invest in their hardware, you know you can upgrade the sounds for years to come....for free.

Nicky, I agree that Nord are exceptional in this case, and I applaud them for their generosity.

However, I think you're perhaps being a bit unnecessarily harsh on Roland. They would argue, as would I, that the GX sounds great as it is.

The new card is interesting, and a bonus, and I'm rather surprised and gratified that they've released a new SRX card, as just before NAAM I had pronounced the last rites over that format.

Nicky, I agree that Nord are exceptional in this case, and I applaud them for their generosity.

yamaha actually too - with motif XS we got S90ES great piano for free, plus some other stuff like rhythms and performances. Only roland is a mizer.

Let's be fair: Motif owners got the S90ES for free because the Motif has the ability to upload samples, and it was relatively easy and cheap for Yamaha to offer as a download.

The GX doesn't have that ability - it's a stage piano, not a workstation. For the same reason, CP300 owners have not benefited from any comparable giveaways.

At least with the GX, the expansion card ports left further flexibility, and you can't realistically expect Roland to manufacture and distribute SRX cards for free.

I have asked SweetH20 for pricing & shipping date.

As long as the pricing is not outrageous, I will be the guinea pig on buying this.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD700GX1/

Keep us posted, Greg. My SW rep said he liked it. No, he doesn't always say that. He doesn't even know I own the GX.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD700GX1/

Keep us posted, Greg. My SW rep said he liked it. No, he doesn't always say that. He doesn't even know I own the GX.

I appreciate that, Joe. IMO, the SRX 's have been hit & miss , at best. I have an empty slot in my GX for this new Kit.

[70's Songwriter]

I'm curious how it sounds too, and appreciate Greg taking the bullet for everyone. We can't know how this sounds without trying it.

It won't have the V action or the extra ambient speaker output on the V, but it would be kinda funny if it sounds exactly like the V for the cost of a card. Unlikely, but who knows?

My understanding of it is that it uses the V-Piano technology for some of the realism, such as string resonance, key noises, etc., while using samples for the core note sounds. Maybe the samples in the GX itself are still used, I don't know.

Funnily enough, it seems like it could be a similar combo of modeling and sampling as the new Yamaha CPs.

Hey, 1st Im hearing about this new card...Only complaint I have on my gx, roughly 2 months old, is the action is a bit light, but it has delivered pretty well on my gigs, got the rhodes sounding better..so all in all Im pretty happy w/it..I think if you own 1, you have to try this new card..I will, if I can find a shop that would actually put it in the unit..must try 1st...

1 thing I find though, is that the only true test is on a gig..running your own amplification, in your own environment..

It would be nice if Roland offered owners a discount say..if you recently bought your gx...that would be a rather nice gesture...but dont wait on that idea....

Good luck with finding a shop that will actually let you break open the box and try this, ADino, though I'd love to be proven wrong in that context.

I await Greg's report but those of us who have already invested in the GX can't help but be interested in this, I think. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the two SRX cards I've bought for my machine, although I do use the occasional patch from them and at least they don't add any appreciable weight.

Hi all, I agree with Aldan on the SRX's. Other than a handful of patches ( maybe up to 10) , the SRXs have not been a keeper.

For example, I kept the SRX-03 "Studio SRX" which has a few patches that I really like, but thats not a ringing endorsement.

I placed my GX Piano Kit order today with SweetH20. Its not in stock, Roland has promised them delivery this Friday or next Monday. With some luck, I will receive

late next week or the week after.

$299

[70's Songwriter]

:thu: Great stuff, Greg - looking forward to your report and hopefully a few audio samples!

If it turns out to be all we hope, this card would certainly replace my SRX-07 not-so-ultimate keys.

lol, yes I do have that card also Aidan...there are a few sounds on it that will work, but nothing to really justify what the card cost me....you are correct that it doesnt add any weight...it actually lightened up....rum pum pum.....my wallet...

Let us know what you think Gregc...

Does anyone else find it quite strange that there was 0 videos of this Kit available either on the Roland website, on YouTube or on the Keyboard TV website?

This may or may not be a good sign....

But also, I'm sick of the whole Roland exp thing....thanks for buying our $2600 stage piano, but to make it sound really great you need to buy our expansion piano card.....whether you like Nord or not, it's pretty cool that they keep offering new pianos for free...so at least when you invest in their hardware, you know you can upgrade the sounds for years to come....for free.

+100

Does anyone else find it quite strange that there was 0 videos of this Kit available either on the Roland website, on YouTube or on the Keyboard TV website?

This may or may not be a good sign....

for $299, I am not expecting everything in a nano second

:)

[70's Songwriter]

Archived