Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: When is rain a welcome release? ! ! !

JpScoey

Been snowed under here (NW England) since Xmas - sub-zero temperatures (up to/down to??? -20 degrees C)

the snow turned to ice, virtually all transport stopped,

walking has been a mission in itself... had to have the heating on 24hrs a day.

Today it's started raining.

This would normally be a bad thing - but it's started clearing the ice.

Bizarre, really... but in this case rain is actually welcome!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah. I know all about rain. I think we've had like a quarter of an inch so far this year. What with that and temperatures plunging into the low 50's at night, I almost put on long pants the other day.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Yeah. I know all about rain. I think we've had like a quarter of an inch so far this year. What with that and temperatures plunging into the low 50's at night, I almost put on long pants the other day.

I was going to say "I'm tempted to say f**k you"....... but I'm ACTUALLY going to say f**k you.

I hate you !!!!!!!!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Yeah, I nearly panicked the other day when we had gusty winds and the palm trees started swaying....terrible situation! To think I grew up in Wisconsin.

Personally, I love the cold, the snow, all that stuff. I love driving in winter weather.

Perhaps now the mono fixation makes more sense to some of you folks? ;)

LOL

This explains why you are still based where you are when I'm sure you could do more in some other cities.

I'm originally from Long Island, and I never liked the cold. I gladly moved to Houston and while I don't have any love for sweating, I'd much rather be warm. This winter has been really harsh. My blood has thinned in the years I've lived here. 50° F for high temp? Are you kidding me???

That said, I would not mind taking a vacation someplace like New England in the winter and enjoy the snow w/o having to be anywhere. Snow vacations are fun. Hitting my Texas-native wife with snowballs is a rare treat. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Will someone from a cold(er) part of the world please help me out here?!!

I know where you're coming from. St. Louis is usually pretty much on the border between weather patterns - rain in Memphis, Snow in Chicago, for us it just randomly switches back and forth between rain, sleat, snow, ice, melt, freeze, repeat.

Sometimes I wish it would just snow (and only snow) because the layer of ice with slushy snow covering sucks. Although this year, it was cold enough that we did just get snow and it stayed that way for a while. But I could do without the single digit temps.

It's warm now though, as of yesterday. Right now it's a blazing 38(F) - thinking of doing some sun bathing. :freak:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

For you heat guys - you're more than welcomed in Greece in July... In a "good" year temperature reaches easily 40 Celsium and can go higher up to 46!! That happened three summers ago and it was a nightmare. That's why i always LOVE rain and snow and i never have enough - actually i'm happy it's gonna snow over here next week :)
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Will someone from a cold(er) part of the world please help me out here?!!

Over a foot of snow here. We had one week before christmas where we bottomed out around -56 C, I think. Only some random weather station in Siberia was colder than us that day! But, we're enjoying crazy warmness right now, a high 6 C for today! I don't even need a tuque or mittens or a scarf!

For you heat guys - you're more than welcomed in Greece in July... In a "good" year temperature reaches easily 40 Celsium and can go higher up to 46!! That happened three summers ago and it was a nightmare. That's why i always LOVE rain and snow and i never have enough - actually i'm happy it's gonna snow over here next week :)
Grrr. I hate the people who live in Houston and complain about the heat and talk about loving when it gets cold. They can move somewhere else, the US is a big country (I understand you may not want to leave Greece for other reasons).

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In North Carolina we have four beautiful seasons. It's absolutely wonderful.

You can choose from:

Basketball

Baseball

Football (American (real) football)

Basketball

:thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Football (American (real) football)

Let me take the OT OT here.

I completly disagree with you. Completly. I mean really. Since when is a sport derived from rugby, that uses almost exclusively its hands, be the real football?

:laugh:

I knew that would stir the pot a little.

Izzat all you got? :rawk:

:snax::cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Football is played with feet and a ball. Not with hands and an egg. That would be either handball or eggball.

Also, how can you call American football a real sport when the rugbie people do essentially the same without those pathetic 12 kilos of combat armor? Sissies :rolleyes:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Also, how can you call American football a real sport when the rugbie people do essentially the same without those pathetic 12 kilos of combat armor? Sissies :rolleyes:
Yeah, right, without those pads

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120502601

Yeah, right, without those pads

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120502601

Well I think it would be fun to pit an NFL (football) team against an EUFA (not football) team playing *Either* game with or without pads just to see how long it would take to turn the soccer team into fertilizer...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Oh, it's not all I've got, I just wanted to get the ball rolling!

Personally, I don't understand the point that, since American football is more violent, it is a better, mor legitimate sport. Frankly, I don't understand why having several kickers is bad either. (Because anyways, we use everything but our arms and hands. (No Henry jokes, thanks))

I saw a great story on a soccer blog, actually, which describes the best reason I've ever heard of for the North American hatred of soccer/football. It's all about jealousy. American Football and hockey players are huge. Basketball players are freakishly tall. Baseball players pump 'roids. But soccer/football players are pretty average height and build. But they're often super muscular and beautiful. Kinda makes our women swoon.

And in any case, there's plenty of violence, if you know where to look.

Maybe someday we'll have digital weather.

Analog weather is far superior to digital weather. Don't even get me started on VST weather, no comparison......

Actually, they say So Cal is in for a drenching. And, here (where we get our water from the Sacramento Delta and the Colorado River), rain is ALWAYS welcome. OK, it sucks to drive in it (Ever see 10 SUVs doing 90 3 feet from each other in the rain ?) , but besides that....

Basically, on a football team, the kicker is looked at as a necessary evil, but not as a real football player. Therefore getting 22 of them together and trying to call it a sport is laughable at best...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Basically, on a football team, the kicker is looked at as a necessary evil, but not as a real football player. Therefore getting 22 of them together and trying to call it a sport is laughable at best...

Pfff... the same necessary evil like shouting some phoney tactic move (blue 47 hut hut hut) before smashing each others faces like the countless times before? :bor:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

looks like this thread has taken a different turn!......

so I'll offer my opinion on REAL football vs American 'football'.

Football, by its name, is a sport that involves a ball (ie: a spherical thing) being played with the FOOT.

Derivations of this are NOT football (including Rugby - which got it's name from Rugby School in England when one player realised he wasn't capable of controlling the ball with his feet, so took the easy option & picked the ball up & ran with it)

Football (translate 'soccer') is an immensley skillfull sport, where very few meatheads/bully's get through.

American 'football' is dreadfully boring - I really don't see where the attraction is

( to me it's just a series of good adverts interupted occasionally by some thugs wearing armour beating the s**t out of each other - with the odd bloke sometimes recieving the 'egg' & running free for a touchdown

Totally, totally BORING :D

On the other hand, (proper) football is EXCITING !!!!!

Daresay that's opened a can of worms????????

John.

some stuff on myspace

American 'football' is dreadfully boring - I really don't see where the attraction is

It's OK, most of us don't get soccer either. I certainly don't. It seems completely random to me. Bunch of guys running around kicking a ball back forth until suddenly an announcer says "goal" for 17 non-stop minutes without breathing.

But hey, whatever works for you I guess.

Football is actually a pretty interesting team sport, but I suppose you have to grow up watching it to really understand what's going on.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

It's ok with me too Dave that we have differing opinions :)!......

but it would seem that you have 'American-style' commentators all the time? - what on Earth are they all about?

The Simpsons do a good parody of those type of people!

But hey, whatever works for you I guess.

"Football is actually a pretty interesting team sport"

Yes you're right there - each member of the team has a specific job to do,

& every team-mate is relevant to that purpose.... whether it be defence/attack,

'holding' the midfield area trying to withold the oppositions attack etc etc.

It's the 'Beautiful' Game :D

That's my opinion - & I'm sticking by it!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Daresay that's opened a can of worms????????

Yeah ya did. :rolleyes:

Whassup wit dat? ...YOU opening a can of worms. ...taking your OWN OT thread even more OT.

Shame on you.

I just can't understand it. :rolleyes:

:snax:

Football (translate 'soccer') is an immensley skillfull sport, where very few meatheads/bully's get through.

Any game where officials can arbitrarily add large chunks of time to the clock is not a sport. Any game where the winner can be determined in a "kick off" which is outside the flow of the game, is not a sport. The only thing close to a sport that ever jumps off as a soccer game is a riot. Those kick ass. Soccer does not.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived