Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First Digital Piano Purchase Recommendation

turnyourhead

So, I'm looking to purchase my first digital piano... and need a recommendation.

Some info to help the recommendation:

- I'm a classically trained pianist (13 years). I haven't played in a while, and want to start playing again.

- I'm looking for a full weighted 88-key piano, without a built in stand/legs/pedals; and that i can also put it away in the closet when I'm done.

- I used to have a Korg X3 but am no longer interested in laying down tracks and sequencing.

- I don't need a lot of built in samples and effects, just nice piano sound.

- I'd like it to have the option of connect to my PC, connect external foot pedals, and go out to an amp or sound system on occasion.

There are quite a few options, between Korg, Kurzweil, Roland, and Yahama, that I'm not sure where in the range of low-end to high-end I need to be. And once I narrow my choices down, I'll of course go play them to see how they feel to me.

I don't want something cheap; I want something nice, but not more than I need. I was assuming something in the $1,400 to $1,800 range. Yamaha P155? Roland FP4?

I sort of need a filter to narrow me down to a price/feature range, and end up with a few models to explore.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello & welcome to the forum.

Your best bet is to check out Sweetwater Sound.

Pick a few keyboards that are in your price range and have the features you want.

Come back here and ask us specifically about those that you have chosen.

Makes it easier on all of us to help answer your question.

Good luck.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Welcome to the forum!

I think you need to think about your budget before thinking about what options there are, not the other way around, but that's just me.

On the cheap end, I hear good things about Casio's Privia series. I've never played one, but I hear they are a good value for the price. There are a number of options by Yamaha, the P and CP series. Those are next-level in terms of price. Similarly, there's the Roland FP series, and the Kurzweil SP2 and 3s. The Kawai MP8 uses a real wooden action, and to me is the best-feeling digital piano on the market.

There are a lot of options and a wide range of price tags for boards that fit the requirements you've provided. The kind of action and sound you prefer is a personal thing, and this varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. Nobody can tell you what you'll like. Trying some out for yourself and finding something that satisfies both your ears and your hands is the best option.

Bridog6996's recommendations are great.

Having played various Casio's, I find them a great value. But the MP8 has quite a remarkable action, with attendant weight and cost impact. In between are a myriad of options - Rolands FP4 and FP7, their RD series, Kawai's other offerings (MP5, ES series), the Korg SV1-88, all sorts of Yamaha models.

Would definitely suggest you find a way to play units at local stores prior to distilling your short list. One model's interpretation of 88-key weighted action will vary wildly from another's. This is from model to model even within the same marque's family.

There are two kinds of digital pianos. One that has speakers and one that does not. If you want something light weight with speakers than you have alot to choose from and well under your budget. I think if you search the forum, you'll see many conversations about digital pianos. Casio is a brand you should not rule out. Yamaha has a YPG series that is very nice as well.

Here's the newest Yamaha http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=5102420&CTID=205200

or

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesList.html?CTID=205800&CNTYP=PRODUCT

That's a start. But I would definately search the forum for more info.

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Make sure you try Pianoteq.

It's a modeled soft piano. The website pianoteq.com fully explains the thinking behind the product so I wont here, except to say if you're classically trained you will get a level of expression and flexibility that no sampled piano delivers. Also there's a large collection of historic recreations of pianos included, that truly make you believe you're hearing what the great classical composers actually heard when they played. On a note for note comparison with a sampled piano you may prefer the sampler, but the actual experience of playing a piece is a world apart. The review that put it best described the 'silvery cohesion' of the sound. I own a few of the mega sampled libraries, and I've tried most of the workstation grands. I only play them if I have no other choice. It' may not be for you, but don't not try it before you decide.

The biggest drawback to the requirements you listed is that it would require a constant computer connection, but in my opinion "plugged in" is "plugged in". If you react to the sound the way I have, you won't even consider it an issue.

If you go that way you'd want to look for the best feeling controller you could find. I use a Yamaha balanced hammer action like those found on the ES and XS series. A used ES or S90 would be in your range.

Also I would steer away from keybeds built by Fatar. I've found them noisy and subject to breakdowns.

There is a trial version that you can download in seconds.

Good luck.

Ron

Archived