Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well I miked up my Valve JR/EVM12L speaker today

desertbluesman

My niece Grace is in town, she is a music major at Sonoma State in Cali., and lives way up there near Clear Lake California. Anyways she is a killer pianist, and we put together a BT for Hey Joe the Hendrix version, mostly from a MIDI file. Yesterday after I had it fleshed out she came over and she did the vocal track, which came out killer. So today I went in there to try and learn Hendrix licks, but I bagged it after an hour, and put my own licks in. (I never learned to copy and cover tunes like the record, not ever.

So anyways I was not liking the Tonelab through the reference monitors, although the recorded tones are very good. So I plugged the Valve Jr into an EVM12 open back cab, slapped a sm57 up near the grill cloth aimed at the rim of the speaker, and ran the whole schlemiel into my vocal preamp (Presonus VXP) and started plunking around using that for the clean rhythm guitar, then I plugged in my Nady TD1 tube stomp into the signal chain and did the leads and fills. Not bad for my first time, as soon as I can find a place to upload it I will post the finished product. Since it is someone else's tune I can't put it on my Soundclick page I don't think.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to hearing that, db! :cool:

Hmmn; out of curiosity, for comparison, I did a quickie Google search for "SoundClick Jimi Hendrix"; FWIW, there are other folks already posting their own covers of various songs by and/or associated with Jimi Hendrix (yeah, I know, "Hey, Joe" wasn't written by JH) on SoundClick...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks Caev, others on some other music forums are telling me similar things about putting it up on Soundclick.The vocalist wants me to put on an additional intro, and some trailing lead notes at the end of the song. That happens tomorrow then a quich mix and up she goes.

:cool:

:D"Yo Jose"... ! Love the title! :thu:

:love: LOVE :love: the backing keys, the piano and organ- did she play those in real-time, or program 'em (I may be showing my inexperience with these things here), or what? Digital sims, or real piano and/or organ? Love the grindy rotary/Leslie sound of the organ.

And your guitar sounds great, too! :cool: That EVM speaker really suits ya, huh? Makes that a much bigger, bolder amp with more headroom and definition, cleaner when it's clean and leaner when it's mean, doesn't it? Nice playing, too! Love the squalling oblique-bend you begin with at about 1:39, and the volume-swells here and there, too, and those bits behind the vocals when you play kinda pizzacatto/mured and percussive, plopping the reverb a little... :rawk:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks Caev, I did all of the instrumentation from the MIDI file that is most available on the web. Creating a backing track from a cheezy MIDI file is an art in itself, but I have been doing that since the 1980's so I know how to get it almost real sounding using synths and samples. The organ came from the Yamaha SW1000XG synth inside my DAW. As for the EVM 12L, yes those are my favorite speakers for most amps, but the real reason I used it is because it is in the (climate controlled) shed with my DAW, under the Valve Jr head both of which are there for storage purposes because there is no room in the house.

I would rather have used the HRD, but that is in the house for daily practice. It is a smoother more hi fi sounding amp.

The pizzacato muted guitar is a muted guitar patch from the SW1000XG, I used the same MIDI track that I used for the organ and spread them in the stereo field. Originally those tracks were for guitar but the ones that I have in my synth are so cheezy I had to improvise the instrumentation.

Archived