Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What keyboard stand(s) to buy?

Ian Benhamou

Well my Ultimate IQ-3000 stand finally gave out tonight at a rehearsal after 11 years of abuse. Actually it is kind of repairable: the threading on the main screw that secures the hight adjustment is stripped and therefore no longer screws. But since I've had it for so long and it being all scratched and beat up I figured I'd replace it.

I know many of you aren't fans of X-stands around here, and for multi keyboard or standup rigs, I definitely never use an X stand.

But for rehearsals, quick one-nighters in bars where only a stage piano is needed, nothing beats the combination of portability, easy set-up/tear-down, and stability.

Keep in mind that the IQ-3000 is built like a tank, has a patented memory lock for height adjustment and has stabilizing end-caps for uneven stages or floors.

But before I jump ahead, I know some of you have recently experimented with the Quik-lok Monolith. How do you guys feel about it? Is it stable? Fold up nicely for easy fit in already filled compact car?

Any other suggestions for 1 tier portable, stable stand?

I'm also looking for a 2-tier stand to keep permanently set-up at my cabaret gig, since I'll be there all year. This way I'll just have to pack up my boards if I have other gigs or rehearsals in-between shows there.

I normally use a standtastic, which I absolutely love, but I'll need that for other gigs, and besides, the footprint of that stand is too large for the orchestra pit.

Since it's a permanent set-up I'm looking at the Quik-Lok Z stand with the second tier. But I've used those before, and can't get the 2nd tier low enough for my liking.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use a Hercules Z stand with second tier. Lowering the upper bars close enough required drilling two extra holes. After that it's an awesome stand.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I just picked up a QuikLok Z-71 with upper arms (Z-2). Its very heavy duty and folds up in a unique way that is quick and easy to breakdown and to store or carry.

Its also great for sitting or standing. Because of its heavy construction it is stable for a tall player standing.

I have my NE3 above the Motif and can position the upper board very close to the lower one. Also,the upper board can be moved back so its above and behind the lower board....its quite versatile in its positional capabilities.

I just picked up a QuikLok Z-71 with upper arms (Z-2). Its very heavy duty and folds up in a unique way that is quick and easy to breakdown and to store or carry.

From a previous post of mine:

I wanted to purchase the Z71 but no one (GC; Sweetwater; Music 123) stocked it - it had to be special ordered. Don't like special orders due to some distasteful history with a special order so I was waiting to find some one that stocked it. That never happened, but I did find a Quiklok Z72 stocked at SameDay Music. 2 major differences - er make that 3

1. It's silver; 2. It includes the 2nd tier (the Z71 has an optional 2nd tier available) 3.Less expensive. The Z71 was priced at $129 plus $35 for 2nd tier. Z72 was $120 complete. Also all sellers I mentioned that did not stock the stand would have charged shipping. SameDay shipping was free.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

I use a Hercules Z stand with second tier. Lowering the upper bars close enough required drilling two extra holes. After that it's an awesome stand.

I have this stand. I use it for my permanent studio setup. 2 things I don't like for live use:

1. Second tier angle is either parallel to the floor or way to inclined. I need it somewhere inbetween.

2. Second tier not easily transportable, setup/teardown factor a bit too long for my tastes.

I just picked up a QuikLok Z-71 with upper arms (Z-2). I have my NE3 above the Motif and can position the upper board very close to the lower one.

How close? Because I like my 2nd tier just about touching my lower board and at an angle, albeit usually the first setting after flat. Other people here have said they've had to have the tiers shortened in a machine shop.

Glad to hear it's portable, because it looks pretty bulky in the pictures. But this stand would be more for a permanent setup anyways.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

I have a Z-72 and love it. Very stable. The folded shape is not convenient for transport, but you learn to work around it. It's also fairly heavy, at least for a keyboard stand. It definitely works for me, however. BTW, I have an IQ-3000, K&M Spider, and Ultimate V-Stand.The Z-72 is the most stable, by far.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

But before I jump ahead, I know some of you have recently experimented with the Quik-lok Monolith. How do you guys feel about it? Is it stable? Fold up nicely for easy fit in already filled compact car?

I've been using a Quik-Loc Monolith with 2nd tier for a few months now. I like it a lot - very stable in use, lots of foot room, puts the upper keyboard right where I want it, and folds flat in seconds with ease. I got a great deal online, and would buy the Monolith again.

Easy fit in a full compact car? Probably not the best choice for that, as the footprint when folded is fairly large. I generally lay mine flat and stack stuff on top of it, but have hauled it upright crossways in front of the back seat in my Camry when needed.

For the permanent setup, go Monolith.

For the single tier stand, the On-Stage Z is rock solid. The top and bottom bars flip around so the whole thing can be transported flat and when you open it back up, it's where you had it previously.

I have the two-tier version and the second tier makes it less portable. I think it's a great stand, but I like my second board to be flat and as close as possible to the bottom board. It sounds like your second tier needs might not work with this stand though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have the two-tier version of the On-Stage, rock solid in the studio, another at church, a third for carrying around. I make two pieces out of it when folding it up, not the very quickest, but having solid support, room for pedals, and ability to set up for seated or standing makes it useful. If I don't need the second tier, it does become easier to carry. I also have the travel bag that OnStage makes for it, but one does have do more disassembly. Only drawback then is it does weigh a bit more. When I'm using only one board, I usually use the On-Stage platform stand, lighter, sets up or tears down in seconds, and enough adjustments.

I have used a 1/4" drill bit to punch an added pair of holes in the support for the second tier so as to be able to get the two boards closer than any of the stock holes.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

From a previous post of mine:

I wanted to purchase the Z71 but no one (GC; Sweetwater; Music 123) stocked it - it had to be special ordered. Don't like special orders due to some distasteful history with a special order so I was waiting to find some one that stocked it. That never happened, but I did find a Quiklok Z72 stocked at SameDay Music. 2 major differences - er make that 3

1. It's silver; 2. It includes the 2nd tier (the Z71 has an optional 2nd tier available) 3.Less expensive. The Z71 was priced at $129 plus $35 for 2nd tier. Z72 was $120 complete. Also all sellers I mentioned that did not stock the stand would have charged shipping. SameDay shipping was free.

Mine is black and was no problem to purchase on-line from Touch Audio & Media and drop shipped by Quik Lok. $200 delivered. I guess I may have payed a little too much.

I have this stand. I use it for my permanent studio setup. 2 things I don't like for live use:

1. Second tier angle is either parallel to the floor or way to inclined. I need it somewhere inbetween.

2. Second tier not easily transportable, setup/teardown factor a bit too long for my tastes.

I just picked up a QuikLok Z-71 with upper arms (Z-2). I have my NE3 above the Motif and can position the upper board very close to the lower one.

How close? Because I like my 2nd tier just about touching my lower board and at an angle, albeit usually the first setting after flat. Other people here have said they've had to have the tiers shortened in a machine shop.

Glad to hear it's portable, because it looks pretty bulky in the pictures. But this stand would be more for a permanent setup anyways.

At the lowest position, the upper tier will almost touch the Motif (1/2", this will depend on the thickness of your board) at a playable angle and at its forward-most position. If you want the upper keyboard level with the lower it would likely be 3-4 inches above....remember, the upper tier slides back at well. Mine is also used for permanent setup as I use a double braced X for gigs.

I have been using the On-Stage Platform Stand for my heavy board, and I just got the attachment to support a second lighter board. I will be testing the attachment at rehearsal tomorrow.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-Pro-Platform-Keyboard-Stand?sku=450384&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26036197

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-Keyboard-X-Stand-Add-On-Tier?sku=450335

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Jeff, please let me know how the attachment works out. I have the same platform stand (love it for my XS8)and was wondering the best route to go for expanding my rig.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

No problem with X stands here, and I don't quite understand why anyone would be anti-X stand. They're light, easy to carry and transport, easily adjustable, and plenty stable as long you get the double reinforced ones, even under the weight of multiple keyboards. I'll rock my X stands loud and proud.

Amen, my brotha from another X-stand user...

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

No problem with X stands here, and I don't quite understand why anyone would be anti-X stand. They're light, easy to carry and transport, easily adjustable, and plenty stable as long you get the double reinforced ones, even under the weight of multiple keyboards. I'll rock my X stands loud and proud.

I'm a big guy, I need some legroom, and more importantly, foot and shin room. Can't get that with X-stands. You can use them as part of an ironing board though....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'm a big guy, I need some legroom, and more importantly, foot and shin room. Can't get that with X-stands. You can use them as part of an ironing board though....

Ok then,

I've been using my X-stand for 5 yrs now and I'm sort of a big guy(6'0", 205 lbs).. by whose standards is unknown. If the ironing board fits someone else, why knock it??

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Why knock "piano key ties" if a KB player likes to wear it? :)

I think knocking the X stand is all in good fun. I have one stored in a closet...next to the ironing board, they fit nicely together.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Ok then,

I've been using my X-stand for 5 yrs now and I'm sort of a big guy(6'0", 205 lbs).. by whose standards is unknown. If the ironing board fits someone else, why knock it??

Ask Gary Griffin from Brian Wilson`s band (watch at 3:17 of this video).

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5DyxOwxK_Y

...or the guy from Wolfmother (at 0:23):

[video:youtube]

Ok then,

Ask Gary Griffin from Brian Wilson`s band (watch at 3:17 of this video).

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5DyxOwxK_Y

...or the guy from Wolfmother (at 0:23):

[video:youtube]

...and this proves what??

Again, been using mine for over 5 years now and my rig has never collapsed.

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

That you're defensive about your choice of stand? ;)

Hey, if it works for you, great, but I'm with Kevin about lack of leg/shin/pedal space when it's needed.

Also, the simple fact that most of these stands are incredibly flawed in the way they maintain their position makes me unwilling to risk thousands of dollars worth of gear just because it's quick to set up and transports nicely in the car. :thu:

I'm sure that's what the folks above (or their road crew) said too. :cool:

Mine is black and was no problem to purchase on-line from Touch Audio & Media and drop shipped by Quik Lok. $200 delivered. I guess I may have payed a little too much.

I think you'll find that they are virtually identical functionally. But the Z71 is Black while the Z72 is silver.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Me, I dislike X-stands. Don't like the knee-knock when seated, and the instability at taller settings scares me. Have used the venerable WS-550, Z-stands and presently use the V-Stand.

But then, I now also sling a wireless AX-Synth - so there's no accounting for taste.

Those videos are awesome, Sven. I had no idea that such 'documentation' existed. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That you're defensive about your choice of stand? ;)

Hey, if it works for you, great, but I'm with Kevin about lack of leg/shin/pedal space when it's needed.

Also, the simple fact that most of these stands are incredibly flawed in the way they maintain their position makes me unwilling to risk thousands of dollars worth of gear just because it's quick to set up and transports nicely in the car. :thu:

I'm sure that's what the folks above (or their road crew) said too. :cool:

I use a double braced X stand for gigs cause its light and easy to setup. I have always been concerned about the single spring-loaded pin that holds the entire thing up. I check to make sure it is fully in its correct position and not cracked or broken in any way every time.

It looks like a relatively gentle fall if the worst happens......with 2 keyboards it may be a bit nastier. Just inspect your gear and make sure the pin is in the proper position!

I must admit I am giving the "convenience" idea second thoughts!

Great videos

I think you'll find that they are virtually identical functionally. But the Z71 is Black while the Z72 is silver.

The Z-71 is single tier, the Z-72 ships with the 2nd tier.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I have one stored in a closet...next to the ironing board, they fit nicely together.

Yeah I use my old X for a sawhorse whenever I have some 2X4's to saw up.

Stan

Ultimate IQ-3000

Although I agree about the lack of pedal space and/or leg room with most X stands, the IQ-3000 is as solid and stable as any stand on the market. I used and abused it for 11 years, and did thousands of gigs with it. Never did it ever even come close to collapsing, nor do you feel any kind of instability with it. It's built like a tank.

So I guess I'll stick to getting a new one as my rehearsal/small gig stand.

As for the permanent setup stand, I really like the Z-71. Only thing is I need a way drop that 2nd tier down so that it touches my bottom board. I know someone here has mentioned putting blocks on the bottom tier to raise the board up. I recall others mentioning something about getting the 2nd tier shortened in a machine shop, or am I imagining things?

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

re: x stand stability... I use two. And have never had stability issues. I have read the issues here and honestly it makes me a little concerned.

What about an adjustable strap across the topof the X incase the the pin or rachet gives way? Silly idea?

I might implement it and see how she goes.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Archived