Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Maybe an interesting organ sample set

Al Coda

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For serious Hammond enthusiasts, samples don't cut it, because they omit many important characteristics, such as tone robbing and percussion triggering. Not that you can't get cool sounds this way. Also, he's relying on his keyboard's FX unit for rotating speaker and overdrive.

For serious Hammond enthusiasts, samples don't cut it, because they omit many important characteristics, such as tone robbing and percussion triggering. Not that you can't get cool sounds this way. Also, he's relying on his keyboard's FX unit for rotating speaker and overdrive.

Well, that´s all right, but I mailed this guy and asked some questions before posting.

This set seems to be clever done and especially for keyboardplayers who own a older Korg instrument which reads samples and organizes patches in combinations.

He sampled every drawbar for each note at full volume and without percussion or C/V.

He sampled the 2nd and 3rd percussion separately which can be organized in a own layer (Combi slot) set to monophonic triggering.

He plans updates of the drawbar samples including the different C/V settings, each one separately.

Realtime drawbar control can be done by assignig sliders and knobs of a controller to the different Combi slots.

Switching pre-loaded sample sets can be done by changing midi channels,- p.ex. w/ and wo/ C/V settings in future.

Leslie,- use a original or a clone, Ventilator p.ex..

A complete set of drawbars and separatly controllable percussion needs 20MB of memory.

Expecting, he will do all C/V settings separately, there will be a need of approx. 140MB of RAM pre-loading everything available in future.

For all the guys owning older workstations like Triton or XV5080, to mention only a few, it might be interesting.

Actual available content is only EUR 20.-/ $30.

Samples come in WAV format too,- so they can be organized in software samplers and the way they work in a Combination Mode in Korg instruments,- think of Kontakt as a multi.

I think, this is pretty different compared to the common organ-sample sets available for hardware/software samplers.

I know, Hammond enthusiasts will buy the real thing or a excellent clone.

A.C.

Those samples sound as real as it gets to me if you don't have a B3 or C3 or, leslie. The furniture looks great and sounds fantastic, but its furniture, any time you can use a controller I'm for it. But, if you had the Triton with the samples sitting next to a B3 and Leslie, I'd go with the furniture. The sound you get from the cab and B3 cab, you can't beat wood for sound.

I should have said "ROMplers don't cut it". Nothing wrong with using samples as the basis; many clones do, even the ones that implement tone-robbing (which you can't do using a standard ROMpler). Nord Electro and NIB4 use samples.

Harmonic foldback is also important, but it's possible to do on a good ROMpler with clever patch setup (as is proper percussion triggering).

Percussion triggering is one of the main things, and it's good to hear that he did it the right way. That's hard to tell from his examples.

This a great solution if you're usinging a suitable ROMpler. There are limitations, though (tone robbing being a major one; the other being that the sound of multiple tonewheels playing and mixing before the preamp is different than the addition of the sound of each of the tonewheels playing alone).

The samples, and the examples he was playing, sound great. But when you're playing them, they won't behave as much like the real thing as a good clone. That's what that is, a clone you can implement on a good ROMpler (with a lot of programming).

Archived