Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Abby Travis:Glittermouth

Bottom End

I first heard about Abby Travis while catching up on BP back issues, then heard about her backing The Bangles in some YouTube videos. Surethe album came out in 2006, but I just found it, so it's new to me.

My curiosity was piqued, and since she hit on three of my favorite things: good looking women, women playing bass, and women who can actually sing, I took a chance and D/L'd her album Glittermouth. I seldom buy whole albums anymore, especially for an unknown artist.

BLUF: Though at first listen I was almost put off, it's now in the heaviest of rotation in my playlist. There is a lot great bass playing as well as vocals and arrangements going on in this album, it rewards repeated listenings with new things to hear each time, especially with good headphones. I recommend checking it out.

I don't know if Abby considers herself a vocalist who plays bass, or a bass player who sings, but this album is a really good balance of both. There is a lot of great playing by Abby, but it all serves the song. The song "Le Petite Mort" has some great little bass work that made me sit up and say"What the hell did she just do, and how can I do that?"

She performs songs that have a groove, but aren't " look at me, I'm a bass soloist" showcases.

Of Ten songs, 9 are IMO fantastic, and the tenth is good enough.

The whole album has really grown on me, but it's very eclectic and might not be for everyone.

If you don't want to take the plunge, D/L:

"Now Was", starts simple, builds to a great heights.

"Hunger" A funky little bass line, fun, fun, fun.

"Le Petite Mort" just a great bass line all the way through.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 5 years later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IT's available on iTunes, and it still sounds really great through a good set of head phones.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived