Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Major Economic News - High Importance

Mr. Nightime

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Heineken announced plans Monday to buy the beer operations of Mexico's Fomento Económico Mexicano (Femsa) for about $7.6 billion, as the Dutch brewer moves to expand its operations in the Western Hemisphere.

The deal will give Heineken, which brews Amstel and other beers, control of Femsa's key export brands, including Dos Equis, Tecate and Sol.

The companies said the all-stock deal includes about $2.1 billion in debt and pension obligations.

"The acquisition strengthens considerably our position within the global beer market," Jean-François van Boxmeer, chairman and chief executive of Heineken, said in a statement. "[it] expands our portfolio of leading international brands and enhances our leading position in the U.S. import market."

Under the terms of the deal, Femsa will gain a 20% economic interest in the Heineken Group, and will have the right to appoint two non-executive representatives to Heineken's board.

"Heineken presented us with the most compelling opportunity to transform our brewing assets," José Antonio Fernández Carbajal, chairman of the board and CEO of FEMSA, said in a statement.

"In the context of the reconfiguration of the global brewing landscape, scale and geographic diversification are more important than ever," Carbajal said. "And this transaction responds to that imperative."

The deal, which is subject to shareholder approval, is expected to close in the second quarter. Heineken (HINKY) expects to see cost savings of more than $200 million by 2013 as a result of the merger.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This IS important news. I heard it on NPR coming to work this morning and my ears perked up.

I'm not sure how it will spin, but I am sure that beer prices will increase - and they will add this to the list of reasons.

BluesKeys is gonna be pissed. :mad:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Stella Artois or Hoegaarden for imports.

Rickard's Red on tap (not as good in the bottle). Best dark beer you'll ever have.

Sapporo for a nice crisp beer (made from rice!)

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Shiner.

:thu:

I miss drinking. Not the hangovers and bad behavior, but the taste of a cold Shiner Boch, or a well-poured black-and-tan. I still have a beer every so often now, but since I developed an allergy to alcohol, it can kind of be a bummer.

Sapporo for a nice crisp beer (made from rice!)

Budweiser is 80% rice as well. It's not the rice alone that make Sapporo crisp.

No I know, I was just commenting that aside from being crisp it's also made from rice so very different taste.

Budweiser could be made from Holy Water for all I care, it still sucks ass!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

I had an epiphany over new years at the Yard House in Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage, Ca. when I tried Green Flash Brewery's "Hop Head Red" on tap. A truly wonderful beer(ale).

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Shiner.

:thu:

I miss drinking. Not the hangovers and bad behavior, but the taste of a cold Shiner Boch, or a well-poured black-and-tan. I still have a beer every so often now, but since I developed an allergy to alcohol, it can kind of be a bummer.

Oof. That sucks. I once developed an allergy to cheap beer (seriously! Budweiser LOL) but it went away, I think. Then again, I can't recall the last time I had a cheap beer

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I had an epiphany over new years at the Yard House in Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage, Ca. when I tried Green Flash Brewery's "Hop Head Red" on tap. A truly wonderful beer(ale).

Green Flash is a great brewery. Try their IPA next. :thu:

The least interesting beer in the world is now controlled by a company from the Netherlands.

I like Corona over those others anyway. Corona with lime is my official gigging drink.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Oof. That sucks. I once developed an allergy to cheap beer (seriously! Budweiser LOL) but it went away, I think. Then again, I can't recall the last time I had a cheap beer

It's really not that bad. It didn't kick in until I was about 30. I haven't been seriously drunk more than a few times in the past ten years as a result. I don't miss it, but as I said, the downside was many times worse than the upside for me.

Guinness, Lagavulin for me. Not necessarily in that order.

I LOVE Guinness... and I've been told that it tastes better in Ireland... (different ingredients? I don't know)

Man, if I love Guinness that much here, imagine how much I'd love it there...

Stuff and things.

Heineken heh....

You can always judge a man's character from the beer he drinks.

Really? So what do these beers say:

- Heineken

- Primo

- Fat Tire

- Guinness

- Hamm's

- PBR

- Grolsch

- Amstel Light

this is funny

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/21/1074360833131.html

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Heineken heh....

You can always judge a man's character from the beer he drinks.

Really? So what do these beers say:

- Heineken

- Primo

- Fat Tire

- Guinness

- Hamm's

- PBR

- Grolsch

- Amstel Light

this is funny

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/21/1074360833131.html

What she's yearning for is a firm "Sarah, I'll have Lagavulin...a double, neat, and water back."

What she's yearning for is a firm "Sarah, I'll have Lagavulin...a double, neat, and water back."

Usually girls go for the jagermeisters types. Its too late by the time they realize the Lagavulins or even more, Remy's are what they want.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I LOVE Guinness... and I've been told that it tastes better in Ireland... (different ingredients? I don't know)

Man, if I love Guinness that much here, imagine how much I'd love it there...

... I think I hear a Vitamin G calling me saying, 'drink me, drink me' :wave:

Jamie

I still mostly end up drinking Budweiser. But like many around these parts, I was pretty unhappy when InBev acquired them, as it really hurt the local economy. In fact they just announced MORE layoffs. So if anybody has local brews - Schlafly, Morgan Street, Trailhead, O'Fallon, Highland, Boulevard (Kansas City, close enough), I drink those. Although if I'm going to go import, I prefer Czekvar or something along those lines.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

So if anybody has local brews - Schlafly, Morgan Street, Trailhead, O'Fallon, Highland, Boulevard (Kansas City, close enough), I drink those.

The local beers in Quebec rock!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Archived