Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Show Must Go On ! - The Dapper Dans Gig Report

EddiePlaysBass

Few hours 'til our gig this evening. Opening act on a rock'n'roll night in a local club. Belgium's quite snowed in (for our standards) so I don't expect a lot of people to show up. We'll see what gives ...

I had planned to skip the second band and go home to drop off my gear, and then head back to the venue to see the headliners, but with icy snows that's a no-no. Don't want to leave the jazz in the car at these temperatures, nor at the venue ... So instead, I'll be taking the fretless to the gig :grin: Will report back once done !

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It went okay. I felt like I was playing on auto-pilot for most of the show, which I really dislike. There was not a big turnout but at least a handful of people showed up. I'm guessing 30 to 40 max.

Next time I'm going to take the BTB, or get myself a more decent backup bass than my cheap fretless Palmer. The fretless aspect is not the problem, but the string spacing is ridiculously tight on this bass, and the strings are old and feel rusty. Squier Classic Vibe Precision 50's, here I come ... :grin:

The crowd was fairly non-responsive. Seriously, we'd play what we believe to be kick-ass tight (or relatively tight) renditions of classics, and we'd get a lukewarm response at best. Our singer felt like quitting right after the show, because he'd never felt more ready and "into it" than tonight. Luckily (?) the band after us got a similar response so he felt better :grin:

Still, I think we played a really good show. Drummer was on fire, and already after our soundcheck him and I got a compliment on locking in so tightly. Guess that was bound to happen after 5 or more years of playing together :grin: We played Chuck Berry's "No Particular Place To Go" and while I did flub a few notes during the solo and we have not really found an ending to the song, I think it went really well. We really haven't got the song down enough to play it live but hey, who waits for that ?

Both bands that played after us had a doghouse bass player, which really, really looked awesome, so I am going to work on my upright playing a LOT more from now on, and try and venture towards an actual URB at some point. I recorded both band's sets as well, for future reference and since I'm a fan of the headliners (Black Cat Bone Squad).

Three songs for you to listen to from tonight's gig.

My Baby Left Me

Simple bass line, but a fun song to play :thu:

That's Alright, Mama

Elvis' debut single, if I recall correctly. I like what I'm doing under the first part of the solo. Our guitarist kept bugging me about doing it more like the original, so I caved in and changed my line to accommodate him a bit.

Oh Boy

I share lead vocals on this one, for the verses (or choruses, depending on how you look at it). Not that it's too audible here, but still. All the "oh boy"s are also me :)

There was not a big turnout but at least a handful of people showed up. I'm guessing 30 to 40 max.

That not a big turn out?!? :) Hell, I'd be totally stoked if that many peoples show up at our gigs with a 150+ email list!!

Good job EPB!

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Thanks Brocko. I learned a lot about my own playing from this gig, and what to pay attention to for the next one. I am also reviewing our set list, as I am usually the one to make all the suggestions for what we'll play and not play, and in what order. So if it doesn't work, it's my fault.

In this case, the audience did not seem to be "in the mood" but on the other hand we did not manage to pull them over either, so there is some evaluation to be done.

And yeah, sometimes 30 to 40 people IS a big turnout :) I was just disappointed because I figured the headliner (whom I like a lot, and bootlegged that night) would draw a bit of a crowd. And we'd get to ride that wave :grin: Perhaps that's the tragedy of this band of mine: one minor disappointment after another. But I still believe we can turn the tide, so I'm gonna give it another go :thu:

What has been said a million times here before is: Its all about performing. I get just as big a kick from performing to 10 people who all come up afterwards and say how good it was, as I do to hundreds who all go home without saying a word.

Even if they don't look like they are enjoying it many will be so you owe it to them to make it look like you are having fun, even if its a one way street. The more fun you have on stage, the more likely the audience is to join you. If you are worrying about song choices and orders then you are not relaxed and having fun. Endlessly swapping songs and orders is a waste of time, sometimes you get a good crowd that likes your tunes and the order, sometimes you don't. You can never predict this and its something you will learn as you do more gigs. However i understand that the less gigs you do, the more important each one will seem to you. BUT If YOU like the tunes and the order, then play it like you like them and project that to the audience. They WILL respond.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, there were people there that night who know our drummer's parents, and they told said parents afterwards that we were the best band of the three.

I think part of it is the old covers vs originals issue, i.e. familiar vs unfamiliar material. Either way, I'm pleased to hear this, because on the night itself I was pretty let-down in general.

I will make a conscious effort from now on, to have more fun and less worries on stage. That is, after all, the main reason why I am into this whole business.

Archived