Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scrawny tattooed slide player growling Dylan, taking numbers

antimatter

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that Steve Cropper & GE Smith in the band? Burning.

Scott Fraser

Yep. It was an all-star backup band, including all of Booker T & the MGs.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Scrawny isn't strong enough of a word. That's just scary. Saw him on Clapton's Crossroads DVD. He's got that raw edge I like.

You guys are probably all familiar with this guy, but I gotta show you anyway. I'm not a big fan of the world music thing, but this guys playing just gets me. One of my top favorite guitarists. Clean, killer slide licks with the feeling to back em up.

How did you embed that vid by the way?

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

Scrawny isn't strong enough of a word. That's just scary. Saw him on Clapton's Crossroads DVD. He's got that raw edge I like.

You guys are probably all familiar with this guy, but I gotta show you anyway. I'm not a big fan of the world music thing, but this guys playing just gets me. One of my top favorite guitarists. Clean, killer slide licks with the feeling to back em up.

Oh man, Derek Trucks just RULES! Fantastic.

When in the Full Reply Screen mode (click on either "Reply" at the bottom of a post, or "Switch to Full Reply Screen" at the bottom of the Quick Reply window), there are a variety of options to choose from- one of which, the 5th one from the left, looks like a little screen and ID's as "Enter Media Tag". Select that, select the appropriate video source from its drop-down menu, enter the URL and hit "OK". An embedded video should display in the post, like this:

[video:youtube]

You can also simply type brackets for video and the source, with the URL in-between 'em, such as (misspelled with zeros for the letter "o" so as to display here as text, and not as invisible brackets):

[vide0:y0utube]

[/vide0]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Oh man, Derek Trucks just RULES! Fantastic.

When in the Full Reply Screen mode (click on either "Reply" at the bottom of a post, or "Switch to Full Reply Screen" at the bottom of the Quick Reply window), there are a variety of options to choose from- one of which, the 5th one from the left, looks like a little screen and ID's as "Enter Media Tag". Select that, select the appropriate video source from its drop-down menu, enter the URL and hit "OK". An embedded video should display in the post, like this:

You can also simply type brackets for video and the source, with the URL in-between 'em, such as (misspelled with zeros for the letter "o" so as to display here as text, and not as invisible brackets):

[vide0:y0utube]

[/vide0]

I know it's way off topic, but when I hear Derek Trucks' name, I have to post this:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8_ZEjR25q4

Cool. Thanks, Caevan. Sorry for takin over your thread antimatter. :) Now I gotta try it out for practice. One of the first great slide songs in my opinion. I still haven't taken the time to master slide. Maybe that'll be a project for the new year.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN5vqEyV7g

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

JW's always been "the fastest slide in the west" but I think he's even faster than ever...I couldn't believe they actually picked up speed a couple times through that performance.

OMG! :D When I saw JW years ago, they played everything so fast that the whole show was over quite quickly, it was really short- even though they played a lot of songs!

And, damn, Sam, when he put aside the headless Laser (sp?) and broke out the old Firebird, he played some insanely shreddified fingerstyle combo slide/fretted stuff, just a blindingly fast barrage of firepower! :eek::cool:

& Johnny's not just a fast'n'fluid geetar boy, he's a thinkin' cat.

His 2nd major album, Second Winter, broke ground with its graphics, its physical design as a double LP but with 4th side blank ("We cut too much stuff for one LP but not enough for 4 sides.") but also some sly humor.

Second Winter w/playable song selection

Catch his original version of "Highway 61" for one of the hippest deliveries of a Dylan lyric; & check out tracks 9,10,11 & 12 for both titles & material. [The orig LP ended there.]

Maybe not as deep as Jimi, but smart enough.

BTW, Winter was one of the few musicians that Hendrix jammed with repeatedly &, with Miles Davis, one of the few who actually made the trip to Seattle to attend JH's funeral.

Finally, he can pull tricks outta his sleeve you might never guess...dig this country track:

d=halfnote

Love Highway 61, been doing it as a blues tune since it came out many decades ago...my buddies turned their nose up at it until I showed them Johnny Winters and Derek Trucks on the Crossroads DVD...so they gave in and admitted it was a great blues tune...even though Dylan's original was a much milder version and more of a rock and roll song...
Take care, Larryz

I love JW's playing and singin. I saw him several years ago and I was a little disappointed in the show. He gets big "ups" for doing the show. He pretty much had to be helped onto and off of the stage. His playing was still pretty good but didn't have the usual amount of fire. That night he was only great, not amazing :)

I really like the song Medicine Man off of Let Me In. Great blues always eminates from that man.

I saw him a couple of years ago, and it just like you said, had to be led on and off the stage, but while he was ther, he played the fire oout of his guitars, sitting down all the time. But he's the next thing to blind(has been for a long time), and dealing with the fallout from a hip fracture a few years back. Have you seen any interviews with him in the last two years? He seems like he's struggling for words when he talks, which makes me think all the dope over the years may have had more effect that he'd like. I think it's a wonder the guy's still playing as well as he is. I thank God I finally got to see him live.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I hope a truck falls on that vile sub-human piece of $4!t former manager of his, the one who got him back into heroin and used it as a carrot-on-a-stick to control him, cheat him and make money for himself for years. :mad:

Winter was one of the few musicians that Hendrix jammed with repeatedly &, with Miles Davis, one of the few who actually made the trip to Seattle to attend JH's funeral.

Johnny probably played with everybody. He shared the bill with the original Allmans lots; I've got the Atlanta 70' pop fest on CD with Johnnny, Duane and Dickey; nothing that great to hear, but I'm sure it was cool in person. Hendix closed the show, so maybe they all jammed at some point. I could see it too. They are all linked some how; Winter, Hendrix, Allman, Beck.... somewhere from Johnson, James then to Waters and right on through to SRV and Derek. It's a chain.

But this is a Johnny Winter thread. :)

Here's a great clip from 1970. Maybe it's in that blues wankery category, but I love his fluid motion, and of course the growl. :rawk::)

...vile sub-human piece of $4!t former manager of his...

Name the name, please.

You're not talking about Steve Paul, are you ?

I'd have to look it up, but he went over all that in a big interview in Guitar Player magazine a few years back; and I saw him during the period referred to, early on in that time frame, and I remember that they not only played every song super fast- and thus the entire show was notably short, in spite of the number of tunes played- JW rushed to the RV out back, he couldn't have gotten there any faster, while some guy (manager?) outside "represented" him for fans and autograph seekers, going in and out of the RV to do so. It was weird, but seems to dovetail with the situation JW described in the interview.

I'll look to see if I've still got that issue of GP; if it was prior to April '06, though, it's a goner, due to that fire we had...

EDIT: A little quick search seems to point to a Theodore "Teddy" Slatus as being who I'm referring to...

• 2 weeks later...

JW had a notorious problem soon after his breakout into the spotlight.

He was one of the first rockalizers to actually stop himself & seek help. I think he spent almost a year in hospital in the early 1970s.

It's sad to think he later fell back into that.

Dig:

Cheap Tequila

d=halfnote

Archived