Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Truck Accident, What to buy next?

Outkaster

Well on Jan. 3rd I had a truck Accident, What vehicle should I buy next? I have to have at least 62 inches length wise (Yamaha S-90 XS). I had a Nissan 2002 Pathfinder that did really well. I am awaiting the insurance company to see what they will give me. I hit a patch of ice sunday and hit a guard rail. I was lucky to walk away from it. I hate vehicle shopping.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAMN!

I'm glad you're OK, Mr. Outkaster.

Trucks can be replaced.

I know this because my family has been in the trucking business since 1931.

Stay well.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Sorry to hear about that, but am very glad that you were able to walk away. I used to have an '01 Pathfinder.

Currently I've got an '09 Subaru Forester. I can comfortably carry an S90ES(the full size SKB 88 hard case is slightly tricky, but workable), an XK-1 in a SKB hardshell 76, an 8 space rack, a Traynor K4, 2 stands, plus peripherals (cable bag, tool box, fan).

If I'm a little creative, I can also fit my PCR-800, or AX-1 (both in small, hard canvas Gator cases). So, lot's of room for a small SUV. Plus the mileage, fully loaded, averages about 22mpg. I found a great deal on a demo model '09, when my old Outback wagon crapped out. Actually, the Outback, with some real creativity, could carry the same load.

Depends on if you want to sit a little lower, though. I got used to the higher up SUV platform, having had a 4Runner prior to the Pathfinder. The Forester kind of sits partway between a Pathfinder and an conventional car. Otherwise, another Pathfinder, or 4Runner is a great choice; also the Toyota Highlander. Lots of great deals out there on slightly used SUV's; my daughter just did real well on an '06 GMC Envoy.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'd steer away from big trucks and go for a wagon or small SUV. I was going to recommend a Subaru and see that Allan has one. Nice vehicle and good for gear! I'm going to get a new gear mobile this year and I've narrowed my list to test drive these. I'm keeping my big SUV, but trying to get away from driving it to gigs. I want better fuel economy, better handling and more comfort on road trips than provided by a large truck.

1) Subaru Outback Wagon

2) VW Jetta Wagon TDI (this thing can get up to 50 mpg and is cavernous)

3) Subaru Forrester

4) Toyota Venza or Honda CrossTour - pretty sure these are not what I want, but curious

5) Considering smaller option hatchbacks - Honda Fit, Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix

6) Possibly a used European sports wagon like Audi or BMW

7) Toyota Highlander - don't need another SUV, but this one is practical and has a 3rd row option

I think I'm forgetting one, but these are all on my list.

8) I forgot to include Toyota Prius

Good luck and glad you're not hurt!

Regards,

Eric

Glad You were able to walk away from that accident. Material things can most certainly be replaced. :thu:

The Gear Hauling Vehicle (GHV) comes up every so often around here. Check the KC files. Otherwise, we might as well populate this thread with new info.

Subarus do make excellent GHV all things considered. That new Ford isn't a cutie but it would definitely serve the purpose too.

The good news is that you don't have to buy a gas-guzzling SUV to haul around full-sized KBs. Especially if style is a non-issue, there are several possibilities.

Many folks hate vehicle shopping. You'll get good suggestions here. Take your time mayne. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah I knew I was going to be ok even before impact don't ask me how. I am thinking of an 2006 pathfinder. I think I can get a good deal. Also I thought of the mini-van route but I am not sure of that either. I should hear from liberty mutual tomorrow. The good thing about this is that all of my gear is in the band truck so I don't worry about anything except renting cars at this point. Subarus are not my thing really but thanks for the advise.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Get another Hammond.....

Seriously, glad you're okay. I've been very pleased with my Nissan Xterra. Got it the first year they came out (2000), with no problems. Fun vehicle to drive, perfect for hauling gear.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I've always had company cars. In 2003 I left the company I was with and joined one that did not provide a company car. So I was forced to buy something that could serve my day job and family purchases as well as my weekend band. I did not have a lot of money, and a lot of the cars you guys are listing were too expensive. (In particular, I liked the Forrester, but it was expensive and the windows in back weren't dark - and you could see my equipment/sales demos/etc.).

I ended up getting the Hyundai Santa Fe. It was cheap enough that I could get it loaded with 4WD, Heated Seats, the bigger engine, and Climate control. At that time I paid $23.5k. I couldn't touch anything else like that at the time for less than mid-30's. It had 10yr, 100,000 mile warranty to boot. I used it for a couple years then changed jobs again to my current job, which includes a company car. I had a sedan for a while, so I gave the Santa Fe to my wife and used it on weekends for gigs. Now I have a Jeep Liberty for company car, so I use that. But my wife still has, and loves that Santa Fe. It's been reliable, drives/rides well, has served me well, and was cheap.

If I wanted something smaller, my guitar player has a Pontiac Vibe, which is more of a "car", but fits a LOT of equipment (guitar amp, monitor rack, 2 Giant Rubiks cubes big enough to stand on, giant pacman, several guitars, and his wife). I guess Pontiac is technically no more - I think you can still get them from dealers at a huge discount as they phase them out.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If I wanted something smaller, my guitar player has a Pontiac Vibe, which is more of a "car", but fits a LOT of equipment (guitar amp, monitor rack, 2 Giant Rubiks cubes big enough to stand on, giant pacman, several guitars, and his wife). I guess Pontiac is technically no more - I think you can still get them from dealers at a huge discount as they phase them out.

Pontiac Vibe == Toyota Matrix

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Well, it may not be great looking - but I have a Kia Sedona mini-van for my business and music hauling. Removed all the 2nd and 3rd row seats (in the newer ones, you can stow them in the floor), plenty of room, I've even carried the bass cabs and keyboard stuff and PA stuff all in there.

Quite a bit lower in startup price than the Chrysler, Toyota, etc. vans. Other than wind noise (some of which comes from the 7' ladder that I have fastened on top), it has been a very good vehicle. Also came with front and rear both A/C and heater.

They do recommend being SURE to change the timing belt every 60,000 miles (interference engine - big problem if the belt breaks). Now that Kia is a division of Hyundai, the quality has improved.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Pontiac Vibe == Toyota Matrix

I have not done deep analysis on this, but they came out with a new version of the Matrix/Vibe within the last 2 or 3 years. I believe it is now actually *smaller* than its predecessor. I recall reading a review about this. I forgot who on this forum has one, perhaps mate_stubb, but it was the older version Matrix. Those have a big cargo area that folds flat.

The big thing for me is when I start shopping, I'm carrying a tape measure and also will either have my gear to test in the vehicle or make the salesman let me test drive to my house. I will make my decision based on which can come the closest to replicating the cargo bay of my Isuzu Trooper and offers the best car driving experience, combined with fuel economy and ergonomics.

Regards,

Eric

Most of the manufacturer web sites have the cargo area dimensions and pictures listed - so you can do some of that homework in advance.

What's your target fuel economy? Our Santa Fe's in the low 20's with V6 and 4WD. The 4-cyl, 2WD versions are in the upper 20's. Somebody had a program where they bought your gas for a year - don't remember who that was or know if they're still doing it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Most of the manufacturer web sites have the cargo area dimensions and pictures listed - so you can do some of that homework in advance.

What's your target fuel economy? Our Santa Fe's in the low 20's with V6 and 4WD. The 4-cyl, 2WD versions are in the upper 20's. Somebody had a program where they bought your gas for a year - don't remember who that was or know if they're still doing it.

Thanks about the cargo dimensions tip...have not really got into research deeply as I'm a few months from purchase. What I read in most magazine reviews (Motor Trend, Consumer Reports) will sometimes provide the overall capacity, but that never tells you if a 5'+ anvil flight case will fit easily without going on the diagonal!

As for fuel economy, here's the deal. My new car will serve two purposes. One is my daily commuter to work and the other is going to gigs. My current commute vehicle is a very old Honda Civic beater that rocks 42 MPG pretty much year round. That will be hard to top unless I get a Prius or the Jetta TDI. I'm willing to take the hit on MPG if I gain in cargo utility to allow the new vehicle to replace my SUV (15 MPG) for gig trips. So I'm willing to settle for 20-something MPG. I have somewhat high hopes on that Jetta TDI Wagon, but have not been up close to one. The specs are impressive (it has a very large square, flat cargo bay) and the MPG is stellar! Plus, it is a sporty ride. I have a bad taste in my mouth from a dismal VW experience in the early '00s, but trying to let bygones be bygones and give the Jetta a try.

Regards,

Eric

Something other to consider may be split-seat, which I think most of them have. I don't know your situation, but I have 2 kids, plus I have to carry factory demos, literature, hard hat, safety glasses, steel-toed shoes, etc during the week that have to get out of the way for gigs.

For me, my 1-yr old's car seat is latched pretty tight. The 5-yr old's is a booster I can throw on top of the other car seat. The seats split making room to stack my 2 large keyboard cases, x stands (sorry Moe), and Guitar. The rack, backback, sax, etc, go on the short side.

All my "work" stuff is in crates that I can easily throw in the front seat or inside.

Think about your actual daily activities and usage and how you make your transition. Mileage in the 20's should be easy.

Dan

Here's a tip... if you know someone who can get you into the auto auctions: rental companies like Enterprise no longer fix their vehicles. My step father owns a garage. I went to an auction with him in December of 2006, and saw 2007 luxury cars being sold at auction. They had only been available since September! I saw a number of box trucks of all sizes, none looked more than a couple of years old, tops. My step father says that these can be fantastic deals for anyone mechanically minded or for someone with a hookup with a mechanic, since the problems are usually minor, but more involved that what the rental companies want to deal with anymore. They just write them off and move on.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Jason, probably not much help here as US and UK models vary so widely. My own vehicle is a Toyota Corolla Verso (now just called the Verso over here, I think). It swallows up my RD with inches to spare so I think something like that would handle your SX with no problem.

As others have remarked, though, the main thing is that you walked away intact. And at least your shiny new Yamaha was unhurt too :)

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Glad to hear you're OK. I could give you advice on what to buy but the models we have over here are not exported to the US. I own a VW Caddy which seats two comfortably and is large enough to carry a B3 and Leslie and set of drums and several small flexible drummers.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Glad to hear you're OK. I could give you advice on what to buy but the models we have over here are not exported to the US. I own a VW Caddy which seats two comfortably and is large enough to carry a B3 and Leslie and set of drums and several small flexible drummers.

You don't just tie the drummers to the top?

I've now got a Ram 1500 Quad Cab short bed. I put a cover on the bed so the gear is protected. But I found that if I had to I can put all my gear, (Small PA, Pro3-tm, Korg piano, clonewheel, synth, cable case, bench, keyboard and mike stand, beer table) in the cab. Couldn't have a rider, but nice to know it will fit in a pinch. The truck is so wide, the 88 will fit laying on the back seat.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

You don't just tie the drummers to the top?

The bumpers but only when they're in season.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Where was the accident? 390, 490, 590?

My suggestion: Honda CRV. You can't kill a Honda. Do the usual maintanance and they run forever. Get one with all wheel drive for our winters. It doesn't have a truck-like ride. Unfortunately for buying one used, Hondas have great resale values which makes for relatively high prices from private sellers and dealers.

The only potential issue with the CR-V (which I love, by the way) is length of cargo bay. If I'm not mistaken, the rear seats in the CR-V fold up against the back of the front seats, robbing several inches if not half a foot of length in the cargo area. It is a little bit shorter crossover than some, so not sure if Jason's S90XS in case would fit into the back of a CR-V unless placed on the diagonal.

Lots of decent options out there both new and used. I'm having fun reading this thread (though sorry for Jason needing a new car).

Regards,

Eric

I have a Honda CRV and I think it's a great car. It gets about 25 mpg and it's an all wheel drive car. I also got it for a great price new.

I can fit my xk3c, lower manual, pedal board, motion sound amp, ws550, chair, books, and a cable bag and still fit four people comfortably.

The design of the flip down rear seats isn't the best.

http://z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/I/Q/05_crv_se_carg.jpg

I wish they folded into the floor instead of just tumbling forward. If it's in the above position, I couldn't fit an 88 keyboard case with only half of the seats lowered. I had to lower both seats and then put the case slightly sideways.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/features/news/6688978/0609_z+2007_honda_CRV+cargo_area_seats_down.jpg

If I was to buy again, the new RAV4 is really nice. It has this little switch on the back of the cargo area that flips the rear seats down. I looked at the Honda Cross Tour when I dropped off my car for routine service and I didn't like it. The cargo area isn't very big and it has these braces on the side that would hamper what you can put in. I also like the subaru's but they tend to be pretty $$ too.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

I've carried my band equipment in a 1999 Grand Voyager since, well, 1999. Still runs like a champ. In fact, three of the four guys in my band use the exact same vehicle to carry their gear - same year, same model. That's saying something!
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

My Isuzu Trooper has the same type of "tumble forward" rear seats that rob precious inches from the cargo length. I've never been happy with it, but the mitigating factor is the Trooper is a full-size SUV with more length, thus I can still fit my S90/S70XS flight case in length-wise with an inch or two to spare. I really wish they folded completely flat and that is a feature I'm looking for in my next gear-hauling vehicle.

I have teh 60/40 split and can typically carry 2 passengers and myself with all our gear to gigs. Big cargo capacity, but prefer a car-like driving experience and better fuel economy.

The Subarus are actually pretty reasonable in comparison to Honda and other similar brands.

Regards,

Eric

Keep in mind with all these vehicles comes some risk due to fact there isn't much to protect you from your equipment in a front crash. I knew a few muso's the were crushed by their equipment during hard braking as it all slid foward.

Be safe out there!

Motif ES8; SK1; X5DR; SSV3; Ventilator; Montage 7, PC4, Arturia 49, Mainstage, Logic

Keep in mind with all these vehicles comes some risk due to fact there isn't much to protect you from your equipment in a front crash. I knew a few muso's the were crushed by their equipment during hard braking as it all slid foward.

Be safe out there!

While this is not the best alternative where bad weather is an issue, that's where having a Pickup has an advantage. Everything is in it's own protected area, and even in a serious accident, won't become a hazard to the driver.

Plus, if I have to I can haul my gear, and seat 6.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived