Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've been given an offer I want to refuse!

Nu2Keys

A bandmate is having a birthday party/jam where several bands and different configurations of musicians will play. He called me yesterday and wants me to play some power trio stuff with me on guitar, him on bass and his co-work on drums. I don't really have any desire or any compelling need to do this since I'm in two bands right now as the keyboard player, one band where I split duties between guitar and bass, and two other bands where I play guitar. It would only be for a few songs, but I'm pretty much getting my musical fix right now without trying to do something that I wouldn't feel comfortable about doing, since none of us are great singers, and power trio stuff is not at all my forte either. Any ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pro;You might want a favor from that guy someday, and you could make some connections that you otherwise wouldn't make, and you could get some experience in a band configuration you aren't too familiar with..

Con; you don't feel a need to do it, you aren't real familiar with the power trio bit, and you have enough to do already.

Would it take time away from your job, wife/significant other and/or kids? Would it cause you to slight the time you put in on the other band's music?

If you answer no to the above questions, I'd do it. You can show up, play your a** off and impress the locals, then schmooze a bit to see if there you can make a few connections, then split. Hey, a half hour playing is better than a half hour in front of the tube...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Weeeeelllll, he is a bandmate and a friend, it is his Birthday, it is a party (free food & drink and good times and all), and it is just a few songs... you sure it's that much drudgery? Just have fun! It doesn't have tpo be a serious musical exposition- in fact, it should be pretty tongue-in-cheek.

C'mon! :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Wow man, you've got your hands full...5 bands? God bless ya...

Seriously though, I get the impression that your relationship with this guy is more business based than friendship based.

If:

- I'm wrong and you are good friends

- It won't cause scheduling conflicts with your other musical obligations

- You don't have other obligations (work, family, etc.)

Then:

Go jam with him. If you're good friends, then -

"I don't really have any desire or any compelling need to do this"

or

"I'm pretty much getting my musical fix right now without trying to do something that I wouldn't feel comfortable about doing"

- seem like odd statements to make. If he's your buddy, do it because it's his birthday and that's what he wants to do, not because you'll personally get anything out of it.

Even if he's just a business acquaintance, it might be a good networking opportunity...but if you've got 5 bands happening, you probably don't need that.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Richard

My ears are haunted.

To clarify: I'll be at the party anyway cause the birthday boy is the bass player in one of my bands, which will be playing, and not only that, he was the original bass player in two of my other bands, both of which will be playing as well. In other words, I'll more than likely already be onstage in three different bands anyway, and I don't feel like I have anything to prove by doing an additonal power trio. I'd actually prefer to sit back, have a beer or two, and enjoy the night without having to be on stage half of it, let alone having the pressure of doing a power trio thing.

Sounds like he is just trying to hook up his co-worker the drummer?

Tell him you're not the guy for the trio and suggest he ask one of the ten other guitarists who will be attending.

What`s the problem with telling him what you just said? you`ve got your hands full with the other things you`ll be doing there and you`d like

some time to have a beer and mingle.

Just be honest & let him know the trio thing isnt yr thing, then suggest someone else perhaps & suggest they add another guitarist if thats more comfortable, especially since you will be up there a lot!!

+1 to each of the above.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived