Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Digital Mellotron?

OctaveDr

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The M-Tron samples are decent but NOT great. I'm really interested in this, I just hope they don't price it out of my budget (like the Memotron did).

The two high-res screens look expensive though. Why did they need that and not just one? Seem frivolous.

Would also be nice if they go a few step further and emulate the quirks such as what happens when you press hard on the keys. Seem unlikely though I suppose, if I want that AND for it to be cheaper. But I strongly believe Memotron is way overpriced.

There may be a few Chamberlin owners around, but likely about 2 working Chamberlins. Leaving the Chamberlin and the Mellotron behind was one of the great pop music accomplishments of the late 20th century.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

I guess I must be missing something, but isn't any sampler potentially a "Digital Mellotron" if the right files are loaded? I've always considered the magnetic tapes with all their eccentricities to be what made a Melllotron unique.

I wonder what the market would be for an ipod in a big wooden case? (I'd call it a "Digital Gramophone".)

I guess I must be missing something, but isn't any sampler potentially a "Digital Mellotron" if the right files are loaded? I've always considered the magnetic tapes with all their eccentricities to be what made a Melllotron unique.

I wonder what the market would be for an ipod in a big wooden case? (I'd call it a "Digital Gramophone".)

My point exactly!

Is a sampler a digital hammond with the right files loaded?

Nope.

Leaving user interface aside, individually sampled notes do not capture the interaction of notes being played, in the common areas of the actual instrument - loudness robbing and monophonic percussion in organ, sympathetic resonance in piano, and preamp IM distortion and capstan wow and flutter in the mellotron.

Can you get 80% of the way there? Yup. Is that enough for a fanatic fan of that particular instrument? Nope.

Fortunately for me, I am a fanatic only about Hammond. For Rhodes or Mellotron, the 80% rule applies.

Moe

---

A Hammond B3 versus a sampler is a great example. With a powerful enough sampler you can load any single B3 sound and replicate it effectively. What you can't get is the real time interaction with the drawbars, Leslie speed and other unique aspects of these instruments. "Clonewheel" keyboards take the simulation further by providing actual drawbars and Leslie speed controls. I assume this is what you'd consider to be 80%.

Do these "Digital Mellotrons" provide any similar recreations of the characteristics of these instruments? Do the samples change speed if you press down on the keys or is there some other unique Mellotron quality imitated?

Archived