Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Centerfold organ

Canoehead

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am jamming with him the next three nights in a dual keyboardist situation. I will try to remember to ask him tomorrow night.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

We play that song and I use several different sound. The beginning has sax layered with it, and I think is more of a synth organ. I also use synthetic organ for the high part in the bridge. I use hammond sound with leslie for the chords during the verses, and the same sound without leslie during the "my blood runs cold....". Same sound as beginning (without sax) for Na-Na-Na. At the end, if you want you can layer in some whistle.

Layout-wise, my top keyboard is split into the intro/na-na sound at the LH, and high bridge part on the RH. Bottom keyboard is the hammond and I use a button to turn leslie on/off.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I am jamming with him the next three nights in a dual keyboardist situation. I will try to remember to ask him tomorrow night.

If you think about it, also ask him if they are at least making some money out of the incessant use of "Love Stinks" in that mop commercial that I can't seem to escape. :D

Moe

---

I could tell ya, but I'd have to...... ;)

Nah, just a little something I whipped up on the Kurz for the tune in question. :)

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Yeah, it was not a Hammond on that record (that was their big synth record). As for sax...it's more likely harp seeing as Magic Dick was their harp guy. When I play it, I go for classic Seth grinding organ. It was a trave$ty hearing him play synth after all those great organ tracks.

Not to hijack the thread, but if you've never heard the live version of GIVE IT TO ME on the album "Blow Yer Face Out", check out that solo. RIPPIN.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

That hair-raising synth sound during the intro sounds like a detuned saw(?) wave. I agree with Tony, probably doubled on harp.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

For what it's worth, Seth seems to be content with his Nord C1 these days... ;)

http://img.skitch.com/20080819-rnpyw6j1bk4hnunjdayb54u492.jpg

In mono no less....

Per an email exchange yesterday his C1 is having issues and we will use my XK-3 for the rehearsals and gig. We generally trade off between piano and organ - maybe with me on a little more piano and him on a little more organ.

By the way - for anyone in the Boston area- this show is at the House Of Blues this Saturday....It is a benefit called Hot Stove Cool Music, and is put on regularly by sports writer Peter Gammons and Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein. Seth and I will be backing up several singers, including Peter himself. We usually throw a Geils tune or two in the mix along with some songs by the other vocalists and some old chestnuts. I naturally defer to Seth on his choice of piano or organ for the Geils tunes!!!!

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

If I didn't have a gig I'd certainly go check it out.

Couldn't get tix to see J. Geils in CT New Year's Eve.

Saw them many moons ago - they played three consecutive New Year's Eve gigs in Portland in the early 80's. Great show.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Here's the definitive answer....

Seth can't make tonight's rehearsal, so I emailed him your question. His response is pasted below:

"As regards Centerfold...that intro lick is a combination of Prophet 5 and Yamaha CS-80 sounds, along with multilayered harmonica. The CS-80 was a fantastic synth that I really got deeply into. Thick, powerful, muscular sounds as well as delicate nuanced sounds. Anyway, that's the scoop on the intro."

Here's the definitive answer....

Seth can't make tonight's rehearsal, so I emailed him your question. His response is pasted below:

"As regards Centerfold...that intro lick is a combination of Prophet 5 and Yamaha CS-80 sounds, along with multilayered harmonica. The CS-80 was a fantastic synth that I really got deeply into. Thick, powerful, muscular sounds as well as delicate nuanced sounds. Anyway, that's the scoop on the intro."

Moe declares the win!

Moe

---

The video shows a sax at 3 seconds in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZEe9EuGWQE&feature=related).

Not that it means that there is sax in the song... Jus'saying'

also shows a harp at 11 seconds and 14 seconds.......

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived