Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm interested in effects pedals

Skyhook for 2

But don't know exactly what to look for.

I like to "play" funk and r&b, so I was hoping some members might be able to tell me what bands like Zapp, Cameo, Bar-kays, One Way & etc may have used to achieve their sounds.

Thank you.

The only jewels to adorn my flesh are the scars of life. Whether good or bad, a lesson learned.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had several pedals over the years, never found one I liked better than the natural sound of a good bass. Like the famous movie line stated.......

"pedals? We don't need no stinkin pedals"

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

The thing with bass effects, even more so than guitar effects, is that the amount that works is usually almost the amount that gomms it all up. A little goes a long way, or at least seems to for my ear.

A little bit of compression is good to balance the output of the low strings relative to the high strings. Don't over do it though, or you lose all your dynamics. Digitech makes a very usable bass conpressor that you can pick up fairly cheap on Ebay.

In my head, I can hear a very mild sort of fuzz or overdrive grind for some things I'd like to do, and I have heard some folks use bass distortion pedals that way. But again, too much can make your bass sound like an elephant on a baked bean binge.

I like to use a little bit of chorus or flanger on fretless to make that "mwah" sound come out a little more. But I have found that a chorus designed for bass is necessary to keep the whole sound from turning into a roiling, muddy mess. A good bass chorus lets you divide the highs and lows in your signal, and apply the chorusing to the highs while leaving the lows unaffected. Makes a really sweet sound without sacrificing your low end.

Out of your list above, I'm only familiar with the Bar-Kays, and they were old school enough that I'd think the only effects you'd hear on their bass would be a little compression.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

What's your budget?

Basically, you want a compressor, envelope filter, octave and overdrive. Recommendations depend on your budget. For me, I would expect to pay about $1,000 for those four effects. Others get by quite well for $200. It depends on your taste and your budget.

My advice is take you time and find out what you like. Go to music stores (weekday mornings are good) and mess around with pedals. Stick to one type each visit, like distortion pedals or wahs. Keep an eye out for used bargains. Sometimes something that is different has the right sound for you. I also recently discovered the wealth of product demos on YouTube. They let you hear what certain pedals can do.

Having said that, your taste seems to lean towards funk which says envelope filters, envelope followers, MUTron, autowah.

Lastly if you have the time and a little money to waste, get yourself a multieffect so you can mess around with different types of effects, try some combinations and figure out which pedals will work best for you. Then go looking for specific pedals.

The autowah in my Zoom pedal isn't too bad because I can adjust the tone on it. Still that pan up and down to get to the effect is a bother.

I agree everybody's recommendations for what effects to get. Don't forget a phase shifter to get that Larry Grahmn/Bootsy space sound. Maybe a bass synth pedal too.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I've never found a multi-effect unit (and I have spent hours trying to program one to do it) which had a decent envelope filter/envelope follower/autowah/MuTron III (or whatever you want to call it..they are all different names for the same thing) effect.

This is not meant as a challenging question, I really want to know; have you ever teied programming the auto-wah in a POD XT? I think it's it's in there amongst the plethora of effects the sucker has, but I've never tried it in my XT Live.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

What's your budget?

Basically, you want a compressor, envelope filter, octave and overdrive. Recommendations depend on your budget. For me, I would expect to pay about $1,000 for those four effects. Others get by quite well for $200. It depends on your taste and your budget.

Excellent advice. That's my normal pedal board (if and when I bring it) but switch compressor (I'm still in the market but haven't found what I want on my budget yet) for chorus (intro to Boogie Oogie Oogie, anybody?). I use these effects in my disco/funk/soul/r&b/dance band and it works wonderfully. However, there are only a small handfull of songs in which I bother using any effects and there are many gigs where I don't bring the pedal board at all.

Not counting pedals I've bought used to try and resell, I've spent in the neighborhood of $400 on those four effects (two new and two used). I'm not sure about my octave yet (it's my most recent addition and I haven't played with it enough yet) but I'm quite happy with my other pedals.

I've never found a multi-effect unit (and I have spent hours trying to program one to do it) which had a decent envelope filter/envelope follower/autowah/MuTron III (or whatever you want to call it..they are all different names for the same thing) effect.

I'm hoping to get my hands on the newish Line6 M9 sometime in the not-too-distant future. I've been reading great things about it and depending on the quality of the effects, it runs some chance of replacing my pedal board. But it depends largely on the envelope filter. I'll let you know.

What's your budget?

Yes. That.

I'm hoping to get my hands on the newish Line6 M9 sometime in the not-too-distant future. I've been reading great things about it and depending on the quality of the effects, it runs some chance of replacing my pedal board. But it depends largely on the envelope filter. I'll let you know.

I went the other way. Started with a multi-effects unit and ditched it for individual pedals. It is much easier to make on the fly changes to individual pedals than it is with a multi-effects unit. Plus they just tend to sound better. At least the pedals I buy do.

I went the other way. Started with a multi-effects unit and ditched it for individual pedals. It is much easier to make on the fly changes to individual pedals than it is with a multi-effects unit. Plus they just tend to sound better. At least the pedals I buy do.

I went from pedals to a multi-effects unit and then back to pedals. The Tater speaketh the truth.

I'm looking at this for a few reasons:

- The unit is smaller than the smaller of my pedal boards which accomodates 3 Boss-sized pedals and will fit in my backpack along with my head and cables. Great for the tight stages I play with my 12-piece band. My larger pedal board is a PITA with this band...one of the reasons I got the smaller one.

- It costs roughly the same as what I spent on the 4 pedals I mentioned.

- It does a crapload of other stuff that I'm sure I'd love to play with.

I've been reading a lot about it (it has its own thread in the Line6 section of TB among other things) and it seems to be getting really good reviews...not just from random people on Harmony Central who probably work for the company. At this point in my career I'm more interested in getting useable sounds than finely-tuned, handmade pedals of mass destruction (PMDs). I know this utilitarian attitude doesn't show so much in my bass of choice. ;)

Jeremy, I'm really not a big fan of modeled amps and cabs in general but these effects aren't any different than other good quality digital effects. I might end up scoffing at the whole thing in the end but it seems like it could be a good thing for me if the effects don't blow chunks.

Pedals of Mass Destruction?

You should try this one, The Geiger Counter manufactured by WMD (which actually stands for William Matthews Devices, not Weapons of Mass Destruction).

http://wmdevices.com/images/geigercounterbox.gif

Read the description.

Read the review.

Another over the top description of a pedal:

DNA Analogic Gain FXXker II

more crunch than a grocery store full of Nestle bars.....

Definitely not for the faint of heart, the Gain Fxxker II is ultimate weapon of mass destruction!

One of these days I will buy boatloads of these and other weird pedals (I've been jonesin' for the ZVex Ringtone) and get myself fired from every band I'm in.

+1 on the octaver, I have an Ashdown, but I want the MXR.

+1 on the chorus, I use the one bilt into my G-K amp, or the oe one my Scholz Rockman. The Rockman also has a very good distortion setting

But this is the #1 on my "Don't need, but absolutely want" list:

Having said all that, I'm really happy running a clean signal and rarely use FX at all.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived