Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wall hanging a guitar... in California

Virtual Jim

Hi All,

I'm doing some redecorating around here. I had an idea that seems really stupid, but possibly might be in the category of "well, it's actually more practical than you think." File this under "just checking" for the time being.

Hanging a guitar on a wall can be a good thing for the neck, I know. But in an earthquake prone area of the country, this is rife with problems. Yes, I know the best place for a guitar is in its case... except in really foggy neighborhoods where it might start to grow mold. My guitars have withstood a handful of quakes whilst on gig stands since moving here a few years ago.

Has any one had any success with hanging a guitar or two on the wall in California? Any one in San Francisco or the neighboring area? A bass?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the best solution I can think of is the Hercules hangers. They have little "fingers" that close over the neck when the weight of the guitar is added. They would hold the guitar in place if there was some shaking, although I wouldn't trust any hangers with a vintage guitar.

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/hangers.html

Well, the best solution I can think of is the Hercules hangers. They have little "fingers" that close over the neck when the weight of the guitar is added. They would hold the guitar in place if there was some shaking, although I wouldn't trust any hangers with a vintage guitar.

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/hangers.html

Yhup, +1, I've got the stand version, probably your best bet short of road-cases under a sturdy table in the doorway of a closet.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Don't hang anything on a wall that you don't want contaminated with dust, faded by the sunlight, or care to risk falling off the wall, quakes or no. A guitar should be in a good solid case or being played, nowhere else.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Been living in California since 1953...Have never worried about earthquakes or hanging guitars on a wall...keep them in the case when not in use and if you must hang them on a wall, forget about it...
Take care, Larryz

A guitar should be in a good solid case or being played, nowhere else.

Agreed, but some folks think their guitar is also art to look at, which in many cases is true. I keep all of my guitars in their cases and out of the way in a bedroom closet when not being used.

But if someone else wants to display their guitars as wall art, more power to them.

Hi Jim,

Your idea isn't stupid. They're your instruments, so store them as you please. I do however, take issue with what I'm guessing might be your reasons for wanting to do so...but even if that's not the case:

There isn't a benefit, other than maybe convenience, for hanging a guitar on a wall. It doesn't hurt the instrument, but it's not good for it either. You didn't specify why you think it's good for the neck, but wood is wood, and it doesn't know if it's a guitar neck or a table leg or whatever...and it will move with changes in humidity, period.

Regarding the threat of mold in the case...well I'd say it's probably time for a new case, if you've experienced that. Silica packs if it's too damp or some iteration of a humidifier if it's too dry will likely do the trick. Much more of an issue with acoustics than solid body electrics.

In any case (pun intended), mount them on the wall if you want to. I'd only suggest that you install the hangers over a stud - don't use drywall anchors. And maintain a regular cleaning regimen...dust wreaks havoc with electronics.

Actually...forget everything I or anyone else tells you. Your guitar should be in your hands, not on the wall or in a case, right? ;)

My ears are haunted.

I would not hang a guitar on the wall, as per my luthier freaking out when he showed up at the studio one day and saw a handful of them that I had just hung, thinking how cool that would be.

If it is a cool look, I can't help you. If it is a safe way to keep them handy in a minimum of space, there are a couple of options. Obviously, standard stands eat floor space. But there are quite a few companies that make a fold-up multiple stand that holds the guitars sideways and have bungies for the neck. Often this stand when closed looks like a thin guitar case. You open it and latch it together and it holds between four and six guitars. One of the local case makers here makes one a little larger than a briefcase that holds two guitars... perfect for gigging.

Anyway, such a case can be sat onto and secured to a shelf to get it up off of the floor and onto the wall out of the way, maybe over an amp or someplace similar. If the shelf is secured tot he wall and the case is secured to the shelf and the quake isn't too bad, the guitars should stay in place better than they will on a stand where, even if the neck is secured, it would be possible for the body to kick out from the bottom. If the queke is worse than that, you've likely got bigger problems than the safety of your guitars.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

In any case (pun intended), mount them on the wall if you want to. I'd only suggest that you install the hangers over a stud - don't use drywall anchors.

While anchoring into a stud is always preferred, there are drywall anchors using a very robust toggle on the back which will hold hundreds of pounds. The anchors which are included with most guitar hangers are the sub-optimal type looking like a coarse screw thread which puts all the weight on a small area of a very non-structural substance. These should be avoided. I trust my guitars to some heavy duty toggle bolts & I live in earthquake country.

As Bill has said, if the quake is big enough to dislodge a guitar from a wall hook, you have other issues which will make the safety of your guitars comparatively unimportant.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

here:

http://www.playolacases.com/Cherry%20&%20Black%20Crushd%20Velvet%20Wht%201%20Labeled.jpg

http://www.playolacases.com/

Mount it to the wall well, maybe ad extra supports or ways to secure the guitar should the whole thing come crashing down and get insurance.

As for the "keep a guitar in the case at all times" thing...

"A ship in a harbor is safe, but is that what they build ships for?"

If it's a really valuable vintage piece that's a closet classic then put it in a guitar vault and play it rarely in a humidity controlled room with gloves on.

If it's a recent guitar it probably doesn't matter... it will outlive you just fine and in a hundred years it will just be another guitar... they aren't making any more original '59 Les Pauls... almost everything is computer routed (what isn't is mostly purposefully distressed and relic'ed these days from the get go) and they'll be cranking them out in the same numbers at the same quality level for the rest of time that any of us will see...

"As for the "keep a guitar in the case at all times" thing...

"A ship in a harbor is safe, but is that what they build ships for?" "

ask any shipman. The first thing that a ship looks for in a storm is safe harbor. I think that an earthquake qualifies.

Those cases are cute, expensive, a bitch to keep clean, and once again there is nothing really securing or protecting the guitar. Since you still have to secure and protect it, all those cases bring to the table is their cuteness. (oh, and dust on the glass instead of the guitar...) Saw them at a trade show and it was hard not to buy a couple because they really do look neat. But to stop your guitar from bouncing off a heck hanger, all you need is a bungee across the body hooked to screweyes in the wall. That can be done for under $10 a guitar.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Y'know, it occurs to me that, while a guitar might be more securely held on a wall by a Hercules hanger, bungee, etc., falling is not the only hazard for such an unprotected instrument, even day to day let alone during an earthquake- if the latter, it's a target for falling debris, etc.

I happen to keep my most played guitar out on a stand most of the time so that I can more readily grab it and play at any given time, and to be honest, it gets dust in the pots much more quickly than if I keep it in its case. And there have been a few close-calls, too...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Y'know, it occurs to me that, while a guitar might be more securely held on a wall by a Hercules hanger, bungee, etc., falling is not the only hazard for such an unprotected instrument, even day to day let alone during an earthquake- if the latter, it's a target for falling debris, etc.

I happen to keep my most played guitar out on a stand most of the time so that I can more readily grab it and play at any given time, and to be honest, it gets dust in the pots much more quickly than if I keep it in its case. And there have been a few close-calls, too...

Though I have a significantly smaller bunch of guitars than I did when I had the studio, I still have way too many to keep out on stands. I do keep a few out most all the time... an acoustic, a solid body electric and a hollow body electric. But the rest right now are stacked up behind the bar.

I was going to sell off a bunch of them, but the market here sucks, so instead I'll spend next week building shipping crates for guitars, amps, and the big-assed Dunlavy speakers (SC-IIIs are 6 feet tall, the III-As are about 5, the three Is and the Velodyne sub all take up a fair amount of space.) Wheels arrive tomorrow, lumber delivery is scheduled for Friday. Got my earplugs and some sharp saw blades, an air nailer and lots of glue.

Steve Martin

For me, they're just tools; a string swing mounted to a stud is more than sufficient to keep 'em out from underfoot, yet handy. In the event of catastrophe, my homeowner's is paid up. (I may be the only guitarist within earshot who doesn't want and wouldn't have a '59 LP; they're too heavy, tonally overrated and require an armed guard 24/7)
"The Blues ain't got no dental plan."-"Bleeding Gums" Murphy

Bill loves to shoot down my Devil's advocate pithy quips...

I leave the few I like to play at home - a Simon & Patrick acoustic (paid $100) a MIM Strat ($200) and a Gretsch Electromatic pro jet ($200) - laying around in corners... all are cool tools, and not worth fretting over... easily replaced for the same amount.

There's a built-in rifle case at the end of the hall, and I don't have rifles so an Epi es 175 lives in it, which makes visitors ooh and ahh every time.

Pricier guitars live in cases, unless I'm going through using them a lot. I'm usually more concerned with hiding them in case of a break-in than showing them off... alarm system and all.

but guitar vaults are $1000, and they probably withstand earthquakes

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xWjoeLNcmQo/Rcpg1vXNP0I/AAAAAAAAACs/LPniZuaErMs/s320/guitar_vault.jpg

I live outside of New Orleans. Everyone I know is looking for something waterproof. Oh, the vintage gear that spent weeks under rancid water...

Also, a local strip mall here literally built around a bookstore that had a huge collection of old law books and housed legal records dating back to 1800 or so that also housed a venue and a bunch of band practice rooms went up in flames last week. It burned for about 5 days... they'd think it was out and it'd flare up again. started Wednesday morning, last flare up was early Monday morning. Lots of gear burned... a lot of it smokie and water damaged and hopefully salvageable...

Acts of God...

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs131.snc3/17846_1197211214513_1355460415_30521931_7498188_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs131.snc3/17846_1197210694500_1355460415_30521930_5687918_n.jpg

http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/010310fireone.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I've decided against it because I've come up with a better plan. That said, to address why I asked...

I definitely play my guitars more when they're readily available. Meaning, they're often in their cases, but the ones that are out (usually on "gig" stands) get played a lot while watching TV, etc. Wall hanging because it's a similar thing, and, yes, it would like nice. All other things being equal (right...), I prefer the look of things higher up than on the ground. And I know from seeing other people do this, it would impress the kind of people that would see my apartment.

As per the moisture issue, someone close to me had a mold problem with (I believe) an acoustic guitar where it was in a case for a long time. They lived in the foggiest neighborhood, and I live in one of the drier neighborhoods of SF. Tt's not quite an issue I would have to deal with, but definitely something I need to consider as my place is definitely not immune from San Francisco summer fog.

Regarding a hanging guitar helping itself in the neck: the way I read it (can't remember the source for the life of me) was that the gravity of the body helps keep the neck straight. Simple as that.

"the way I read it (can't remember the source for the life of me) was that the gravity of the body helps keep the neck straight. Simple as that."

I would have thought so too. But it is an argument for the guy who works on my guitars and builds hand carved archtops, I just do what he says because I trust him implicitly.

Bill

Steve Martin

"I live outside of New Orleans. Everyone I know is looking for something waterproof. Oh, the vintage gear that spent weeks under rancid water..."

none of that looks to be any fun.Rusted Root had unloaded their truck at a local music store near here (large place with storage and stuff like that) and the town got flooded. It was said.... I went over to help, as I know the owners and used to be their monitor engineer many years ago. Brand new Gretsch drums floating in the water, shells all warped. Open acoustic guitar cases, filled with water, and find all the soggy warped wooden parts, the glue had separated.... oh, and the B-3s and Leslies from the store rental inventory and all the PA gear... very weird visual, and very disturbing to see that much musical equipment destroyed in one place.

The same store had a fire in their guitar store... the big Fender Guitar sign pulled away from the building and the wiring overheated and caught the space between the first and second floors on fire. Years before, they had filled that space with sound deadening materials, which soaked up the water from the fire hoses. There is a tin ceiling there, and when I went into that building to help, the water was dripping through the seams of the tin ceiling, it was like it was raining inside of the store... most bizarre.

Steve Martin

I'd be interested in hearing why it's damaging Bill. Any chance that you could ask your friend for specifics? I hang my guitar and if I shouldn't be, I'd like to know!

Every guitar store I've been in has the instruments hanging on the wall, including a vintage guitar store we have here. My guitar hangs on the wall, not because of looks, but because I have no available floor space and I'd like to have access to my guitar. If it was upstairs in the bedroom closet, I wouldn't play it very often.

As for dust, I figure it's getting as much dust on the wall as it would get on a stand. So it must be the hanging your friend thinks is bad.

The strings of a guitar pull on the neck with hundreds of pounds of pressure. Far more then I would expect the body to pull. Plus, some guitars are very light. Does the "it's bad to hang guitars" rule apply to all guitars or just the heavier ones?

" I hang my guitar and if I shouldn't be, I'd like to know!

Every guitar store I've been in has the instruments hanging on the wall, including a vintage guitar store we have here. My guitar hangs on the wall, not because of looks, but because I have no available floor space and I'd like to have access to my guitar."

I know, I feel the same way. (Guitars hanging in guitar stores is no recomendation, and in the stores that I've been to with high quality acoustics, these don't hang...) And I don't know the answer. I wasn't interested in questioning him when he showed up and made the comment, I was interested in the guitar that he was delivering. If I remember, next time I see him I'll ask. But I can tell you that since I see him so seldom anymore, when we do get together we don't have time to talk about the things that we need to talk about just to catch each other up. I am curious too. In fact, another guitar builder and I get together about once a week. I'll try to ask him and get his opinion.

Bill

Steve Martin

Yeah that looks cool to have a couple acoustics, or even electrics hanging. I haven't done it, but I do leave my guitars on guitar stands pretty much all the time. Here there is high humidity, but I have found my Taylors like that. My 12 needs a setup so it is acting up. But my Big Baby is perfect in Taiwan's climate- which happens to be chilly- around 58 degrees with a cool wind and drizzle.. Maybe like San Fran dunno.

But my buddy hangs 2 of his guitars on the wall. Taiwan has earthquakes too and he has lived here a while. I will ask him for you.

Not sure of the Earthquake risk compared to San Fran in Taiwan. Maybe less? Dunno. I think the epicenter is in the east of the island in Hualian. But the last one a few weeks ago was the biggest of the year.

I actually predicted it! Sounds crazy. I was at my buddy I mentioned above's place. I was playing his Tele when I kept feeling like a current of electricity. Like static electricity but pretty consistent.

This guy is one of those electronics guys who understands all that. He said it was coming from the Earth. Then I just put 2 and 2 together. A week later a relatively strong quake hit in Hualien and also in Taipei.

Now I know if I feel electric current running through stuff (even at our place) it COULD mean that.

DUNNO--just an interesting story.

Put your guitars anywhere you want, but please--not on the roof.

Every guitar store in Califonia hangs their guitars on the wall without worrying about earthquakes, don't know if it keeps the necks straight under the gravity theory but do know it lets dust get in after a long time sitting...the store I visit now has some $5,000 acoustics and some $2,500 Custom Shops hanging on the wall...guitar stores have to display them and hide the cases in the back...once that nice LP belongs to you it can now go in the case...you can set the case on the floor next to you or under a bed and it doesn't take more than a minute to have the guitar in your hands...but if you want to oogle over it on the wall, I say go for it...
Take care, Larryz

In fact, another guitar builder and I get together about once a week. I'll try to ask him and get his opinion.

Bill

That would be great Bill, if you get the chance. I'm quite interested in knowing the reasoning behind this. If it's truly legit, I have a guitar to get off my wall!

Ha! I talked to the one guy last night, and he said that he never even thought about it one way or another, he just doesn't do it. Well, that was a waste of time.... except that it made him curious, too. His non-scientific, non-deeply thought out opinion was similar to ours.

The search goes on.

Steve Martin

Come to think of it, I have a few stands that hang the guitar. Where the guitar is supported by the neck and there is a set of arms that support the back from behind (not underneath). I suppose they would be bad as well?

I would have to think that, if Michael is correct about hanging, then any hanging in any way for long periods is uncool. And that is what he seemed to be on about, not leaving them hanging for extended periods, (like as we would do, semi-permanently ....)

I guess, if you think about it, that is a lot of weight hanging from what on most guitars is the weakest point. But I never thought about it before. I'd bet that a hanger that worked with the body would be better. A guitar is not a linear plank with equal amounts of weight on each side of the plane from which the thing would hang. I wonder if that unequal distribution of weight is the concern, pulling on the neck?

Steve Martin

I would think that's it. I'd imagine glue and screws feel the pull of gravity just as much as anything else, and you could work out an equation of just how much structural stress is being applied to that joint and the headstock/neck area... I'm sure it'd be more than you imagine, and I guess there's a formula for time adding to the force.

I still remember gravity being explained to me as a kid as "a relationship between two objects, with the larger one winning. For instance: your butt and the ground. The ground is going to win. You can stand up and you're transferring the stress from that relationship to your knees, feet, leg muscles, ankles, etc. That stress builds the longer you fight the ground winning. If you sit in a chair or lay in a bed you're transferring the stress to the joints of those objects, and over time they weaken from it, and eventually your ass will hit the ground when the stress builds up so much that the joints of those objects fail."

Archived