Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grand Touch action?

reidmc

Can someone help me out with the Fatar/Studiologic "Grand Touch action" on their VMK plus series boards?

I'd like to know how it compares to older Studiologic boards (SL-880. . .990 etc) and/or the hammer-action on current boards (Roland, Yamaha, Kurzweil). I can't find one in town to play. . .

Thanks!

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a VMK1176 - the action is much much better than on any of the old Studiologic boards - very smooth and playable - I think that the action on the Roland RD700GX is the one to beat for piano - but the action on the 1176 is not far behind.

I think that Fatar makes great keybeds but I am not too happy with the VMK - it may be fine in a studio or connected to a PC but it is a poor midi controller and has a button press intensive UI. Once in a while mine will send an unwanted program change - id #1 - and it seems to have trouble with the polarity of my Kurzweil sustain pedal - sometimes I have to change the polarity and then change it back to get the pedal to work right. I have gotten it to work via usb with my Receptor and the sliders can control B4 etc. pretty well - once is a while the velocity response of the black notes is a little hot - I am not sure that I would gig with it - I just don't trust it and will probably sell it.

The feel is excellent.

I have the sl990xp. The excellent on that board is top shelf. I recently tested the yamaha cp 33 and cp 300. IMHO, i thought the sl had superior action to both. The midi capabilities on the sl are weak, however. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies.

D-Bon. . .I will look for that Kurzweil. I have played an earlier model Kurzweil board(PC1X?), and recall that the throw on the keys was shorter and more reponsive than what I have on my SL-880. I'm now looking for an action more like that Kurzweil, as I could at least think about playing a quick organ lick on the Kurzweil when playing the same on on my SL would likely result in a minor hand injury.

That said, the action of the SL-880 has always seemed more "grand piano like" than the vast majority of hammer action controllers and stage pianos out there, though I think one of the Kawais may be my favorite to-date.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Archived