Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone played with the SoundSlate yet?

BP3

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm, there are no controls on the front of the device except for a power switch and DVD open/close. Looking at this from a live gigging standpoint, I'm not sure I would buy a rackmount module that didn't allow me to change patches or volume except via MIDI - most modules have these controls for a reason. True, if you are doing a show, or stuff that is all set up in advance, that is not an issue, but it would be nice to select patches from the front panel without having to set it up via an external controller.

Hmmm, there are no controls on the front of the device except for a power switch and DVD open/close. Looking at this from a live gigging standpoint, I'm not sure I would buy a rackmount module that didn't allow me to change patches or volume except via MIDI - most modules have these controls for a reason. True, if you are doing a show, or stuff that is all set up in advance, that is not an issue, but it would be nice to select patches from the front panel without having to set it up via an external controller.

From what I can tell so far, if you opt for the TouchPad Controller (8.5" LCD) you can mount it wherever you like and control everything from there. With a Receptor, you'd have to use a keyboard, mouse, and LCD monitor to have that same functionality. I haven't tried one or seen one in person, but it is most definately at the top of my radar at the moment.

I was already planning on adding a Plugiator to my rig but the money for that would cover 1/4th to 1/5th of what I'll spend on a SoundSlate. Me thinks I might save up for a bit. Not to mention my ES6 and M3 are keeping me plenty busy figuring them out (read - scratching my head).

...plus NAMM is only a couple of weeks away too.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

From what I can tell so far, if you opt for the TouchPad Controller (8.5" LCD) you can mount it wherever you like and control everything from there. With a Receptor, you'd have to use a keyboard, mouse, and LCD monitor to have that same functionality. I haven't tried one or seen one in person, but it is most definately at the top of my radar at the moment.

I was just talking about changing volume and patches - you can do that from the front panel of Receptor, or pretty much any other rack mounted module.

You can control all aspects of a Receptor from the front panel, IIRC, but if you want to actually program stuff on the gig, yes a monitor mouse and keyboard would make it easier.

Archived