Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI controlling Marshall JMP-1, VG-99 & Fantom-XR via FC-30

me1034

Folks, I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to MIDI. I'm interested in buying a Roland VG-99 and a Fantom-XR. I currently run my guitar through a Mesa Boogie 50/50 and Marshall JMP-1 pre-amp. I'm not interested in using the VG-99 for my base guitar tone. I really just want to start using it as a guitar synth with some really good patches not found in the VG-99 - thus the Fantom XR. So my questions:

1. How would I best chain the JMP-1, VG-99 and Fantom-XR? I'll be using the VG-99 as just effects tones for regular guitar (thus the JMP-1) so I'll need any program changes to change the VG-99 and JMP-1

2. Then, for synth sounds coming from the Fantom-XR, which device would control that? Can one foot controller controll all three units?

3. I'm thinking of getting a FC-300 so I can use the cat5 connection from the FC-300 to the VG-99. But can I run the JMP-1 and Fantom-XR from the VG-99? (So the FC-300 would control all three?)

4. Finally, if I use the cat5 connection between the FC-300 and the VG-99, doe the guitar tuner function desplay on the FC-300 display?

I know... lot's of questions. but i could definitely use some help to see if I want to invest in $2K worth of gear.

Thanks!

Chris

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using a MIDI guitar rig since they were available, though I would never use it live, just my own point of view.

The MIDI guitar pickup is connected to a control box mounted on the guitar, and there is a short guitar cable to plug the guitar output into that control box. Then the Roland 13 pin DIN cable connects the MIDI/guitar control box to the MIDI guitar device which has a separate guitar output plug from which to send the guitar signal on to your guitar effects and guitar amp, the usual L&R synth outputs, and a set of MIDI connections. So your guitar signal can feed the JMP-1 and your guitar amp independently of anything that happens with the synth signals or MIDI signals.

In terms of switching, there are just way too many MIDI switchers available, you'll probably be able to find one to do anything you want, but you'll have to be willing to pay for it.

Which brings up another point... there are a lot of MIDI software programs for guitar that can be run from a laptop. You might consider options before diving into hardware which will be out of date pretty much by the time you get it delivered.

And if you are definitely settled on the VG-99, you might get that FIRST, get comfortable with it, get to know it a little bit, before you dive into the other synth as well. A steep learning curve can cripple you.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

And if you are definitely settled on the VG-99, you might get that FIRST, get comfortable with it, get to know it a little bit, before you dive into the other synth as well. A steep learning curve can cripple you.

Yeah good call...although if you want to run Fantom sounds from your guitar, maybe the VG-99 is overkill if you only want to use it as a guitar to MIDI converter. Perhaps a simpler Roland MIDI converter could drive the Fantom with less hardware?

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Archived